Person of Interest (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I don't know why but the image of Root's corpse on the slab in the morgue is one of the more disturbing pieces of imagery the show has shown... its tough seeing it, RIP Root :cry:

thedarkshaw wrote:I don't know why but the image of Root's corpse on the slab in the morgue is one of the more disturbing pieces of imagery the show has shown... its tough seeing it, RIP Root :cry:
I made this a while back, i'm just gonna repost it:
Anyway, it would be amazing if there was a POI Official Artbook. I'd buy it.

Havoc1st wrote:
thedarkshaw wrote:I don't know why but the image of Root's corpse on the slab in the morgue is one of the more disturbing pieces of imagery the show has shown... its tough seeing it, RIP Root :cry:
I made this a while back, i'm just gonna repost it:
Anyway, it would be amazing if there was a POI Official Artbook. I'd buy it.
The black and white made it look even more disturbing and sad. The slow shot of her corpse is so hard for me to watch ( could they at least have closed those damn eyes ?! ) :cry: :evil:

At least you tried ;)

Its amazing watching the scene in Prophets where Root ask Harold to give Shaw a message for her in the event she died. Boy did that play out in Return 0 and i loved that they did that. It feel like the sad but redemptive closure Root and Shaws connection needed. That made me tear up before the Rooftop scenes started.

Agree with a friend of mine elsewhere, i really really really wish Sarah had submitted her work in 6,741 to The Emmy's. She just so powerful this season, ugh!

6,741 is possibly the most beautifully, acclaimed, Top 5 POI episode that is so misunderstood by people for what it truly represented. 6,741 was MEANT to feel weird/off. That isn't a mistake, it's basically a given because of the concept of the episode. Also dismissing this episode because "none of it was real" is a gross simplification of this incredibly smart and complex hour of television. Plus what 6,741 represents for Root and Shaw and how this episode honestly plays a part in Shaw's character post 5x10 is important and amazing stuff.

Gene & I were talking about what prospective things the show can cover in the mytharc front, if it were to be revived. He brought up the remnants of Samaritan, & a B-Plot pertaining to Artificial Intelligence. Here's what I think can be done.

Best of my understanding, a LOT of Samaritan's agents were just unwitting pawns who didn't know the truth about the whole thing (as Fisher indicated about Blackwell). But certain key people who lived through it all (Mona, Travers, Claire), were very much aware. Even those who were in the dark, the ASI changed their lives for the better, helped them reach their potential. When that's taken away from them, they probably lost part of themselves. Garrison indicated they've all been 're-assigned', & how a large chunk of them deal with it all, warrants some exploration. Likened Samaritan's downfall to the Grand Rapture of The Leftovers, & these guys were what's left behind; some would go about their lives in low-key ways, but would have a bit of darkness growing in them (akin to characters like Kevin Garvey, Nora Durst, & Matt Jamison), while others handle it with draconian methodologies (the Guilty Remnant).

The second plot, is probably the one that's comparatively easy to conceive, but requires a lot of fleshing out. Given how the Northern Lights program is defunct, the government is essentially devoid of a surveillance system. The country, & by extension, the world, is unprotected. That angle is very much, Tabula Rasa (clean slate). Suppose there is a Senate/Congressional investigation into Samaritan's activities, they'd come to realize just how much this thing was out of control, & that might influence their decision as to not depend on outside contractors for this sort of initiative, & work on developing their new system in-house, by the NSA, or DARPA, or whatever. And just like the US have spies in every almost every foreign government, it's just as possible that international powers have such people within the States as well. And they, try their own hand at this, which plays into Greer, as well as Jonah/Greg's comments on AI proliferation: how it's a race between different countries, much like how it was with the nuclear bomb. Or America could get into a treaty or summat with another superpower, who already is in the early stages of developing an ASI, & both of them jointly finish the thing, which could push the political science fiction aspect a lot more.

Also the fact that there's no Samaritan anymore. Therefore companies researching AI could continue doing so uninterrupted, can go all the way, & that could lead to many ethical conflicts as well. Some players may have noble intentions going in, while others may not. It just makes the show's universe a lot richer, & can go on for a long time. Top of all that, it even builds on the concept of an AI ecosystem, which the showrunners largely are in favor of, as opposed to a singularity.

Factor in all of this, with already available things they got: The Machine 3.0 having multiple teams, handling threats worldwide. Shaw, Fusco, & Bear taking on New York City. Control. Root's hackers.

And there's stuff they can do with Transhumanism/Transcendence, even more. Samaritan did dig up Root's body, to get the cochlear implant. They never specified what was done with the corpse, after it was acquired. Suppose it's in suspended animation, for SAM to try to physically embody itself. Whatever organs are decayed, can be replaced by cybernetic implants. If Shaw & the rest of the crew were to recover that, they could have The Machine do this instead. And it would give Amy something more to sink her teeth into. Have her go full-Illyria.

Only wrinkle is, is whether or not this sorta thing is possible with the show's hard genre setting at present (given the whole 'five minutes into the future' aspect). I suppose that can be worked around, via the Thornhill Corporation, since we haven't seen everything that it's capable of. Or even IFT, for that matter, if Monica Jacobs is also a recruit of The Machine, & had her own 'Applied Sciences Division', for 'unusual requests'. To make it all the more plausible, I think it's a lot better if the show operates in a bit more of a heightened reality. Be about 'ten-fifteen minutes' ahead, which I suppose is doable, given the fact that there's a prospective time jump between the finale of the show & the likely premiere of the new one (between which quite a bit of stuff can happen on a technology front). Certain plot-points can be explained through flashbacks, which is dandy. Personally, I'd advocate a non-linear narrative, running 3 timelines, but that's just wish fulfillment. Fine with it either way.

The Vicious Circle of Life.

Last edited by ChrisTilford on July 6th, 2016, 2:26 am, edited 6 times in total.

ChrisTilford wrote:Gene & I were talking about what prospective things the show can cover in the mytharc front, if it were to get a spinoff. He brought up the remnants of Samaritan, & a B-Plot pertaining to Artificial Intelligence. Here's what I think can be done.

Best of my understanding, a LOT of Samaritan's agents were just unwitting pawns who didn't know the truth about the whole thing (as Fisher indicated about Blackwell). But certain key people who lived through it all (Mona, Travers, Claire), were very much aware. Even those who were in the dark, the ASI improved their lives for the better, helped them reach their potential. When that's taken away from them, they probably lost part of themselves. Garrison indicated they've all been 're-assigned', & how a large chunk of them deal with it all, warrants some exploration. Like to think of Samaritan's downfall was like the Grand Rapture of The Leftovers, & these guys were what's left behind; some would go about their lives in low-key ways, but would have a bit of darkness growing in them (akin to characters like Kevin Garvey & Matt Jamison), while others handle it with draconian methodologies (like the Guilty Remnant).

The second plot, is probably the one that's comparatively easy to conceive, but requires a lot of fleshing out. Given how the Northern Lights program is defunct, the government is essentially devoid of a surveillance system. The country, & by extension, the world, is unprotected. That angle is very much, Tabula Rasa (clean slate). Suppose there is a Senate/Congressional investigation into Samaritan's activities, they'd come to realize just how much this thing was out of control, & that might influence their decision as to not depend on outside contractors for this sort of initiative, & work on developing their new system in-house, by the NSA, or DARPA, or whatever. And just like the US have spies in every almost every foreign government, it's just as possible that international powers have such people within the States as well. And they, try their own hand at this, which plays into Greer, as well as Jonah/Greg's comments on AI proliferation: how it's a race between different countries, much like how it was with the nuclear bomb. Or America could get into a treaty or summat with another superpower, who already is in the early stages of developing an ASI, & both of them jointly finish the thing, which could push the political science fiction aspect a lot more.

Also the fact that there's no Samaritan anymore. Therefore companies researching AI could continue doing so uninterrupted, can go all the way, & that could lead to a ethical conflicts as well. Some players may have noble intentions going in, while others may not. It just makes the show's universe a lot richer, & can go on for a long time. Top of all that, it even builds on the concept of an AI ecosystem, which the showrunners largely are in favor of, as opposed to a singularity.

Factor in all of this, with already available things they got: The Machine 3.0 having multiple teams, handling threats worldwide. Shaw, Fusco, & Bear taking on New York City. Control. Root's hackers.

And there's stuff they can do with Transhumanism/Transcendence, even more. Samaritan did dig up Root's body, to get the cochlear implant. They never specified what was done with the corpse, after it was acquired. Suppose it's in suspended animation, for SAM to try to physically embody itself. Whatever organs are decayed, can be replaced by cybernetic implants. If Shaw & the rest of the crew were to recover that, they could have The Machine do this instead. And it would give Amy something more to sink her teeth into. Have her go full-Illyria.

Only wrinkle is, can this sorta thing be possible with the show's technology. I suppose that can be worked around, via the Thornhill Corporation, since we haven't seen everything that it's capable of. Or even IFT, for that matter, if Monica Jacobs is also a recruit of The Machine, & had her own 'Applied Sciences Division', for 'unusual experiments'.

The Vicious Circle of Life.

Would love a Spinoff with Shaw and Root but chances are it would follow the events of the original series so i can't get that :( . I wouldn't mind Machine Root of course recruiting and guiding Shaw to play into the ending of Return 0, and maybe just maybe you can have Amy as part of it also as a newer Character entirely.

I think we can at least count on Shaw being the lead character of the show ( which makes me happy ). Im hearing it could involve Root some how and Finch could make a return. Been seeing that article all over the place today and i don't object it either. Whatever Reunites Sarah and Amy with some serious talented writers/producers im down :twothumbsup:

just have to hope the future can make the dream come true of a POI spinoff.

That spinoff article from Movie News Guide, is a gross misinterpretation of what the writers have in mind. They never confirmed anything about a spinoff being in development, just that it's something they'd like to get into if all the stars aligned. That site has a history of taking quotes from various interviews & processing it without context, for obvious clickbait reasons. In a way, it's like The Machine in SNAFU.

And while Amy & Sarah can be prospectively back, it will not be the same dynamic as Root/Shaw, pre-510. That iteration of the relationship, is over. Shaw & Root Ex Machina is a pretty ripe thing to cover, given the show is essentially about the deeper marriage between people & technology. While having the voice of Machine 3.0 be a constant in the show is plausible, playing in to the physical embodiment shown in the finale, likely won't work as a long term solution. It's essentially having Amy play a Harry Morgan archetype from Dexter, & let's face it: a hard science fiction show can do better than have a hallucinatory character (even one played by an actress like this). That's where stuff pertaining to transhumanism comes in. How they choose to do it, is up to them to figure it out. A friend indicated they can look into Deus Ex as an inspiration, if they intend to push this further. Lot more examples here, especially on the literature front, which could be worth considering.

Regardless of where that show might go, it's more likely that it continues the story, rather than reveal that Root faked her death or summat, so that they can she & Shaw can ride off into the sunset. I understand folks look at this particular version as a form of comfort (the number of petitions that run regarding that), but they fail to realize that would destroy credibility so fucking much, & would make so much of the final 3 episodes seem meaningless. The show's better than cheap manipulation like that.

Managed to merge both GIFs in the last post, & added some music to up the creep factor.

https://vimeo.com/173577603

Finally completed my pre-order for Season 5, took a bit but its done! Now i will have all Five season complete of the series. :D :D :D :D :D

AwardsWatch, an Emmy prediction website, listed the show being nominated for both Writing & Directing for the finale this year. It's not completely accurate, but it's very much a probability. Positively giddy that they could be possibly going up in both categories with The Leftovers's 'International Assassin'.

We'll know for sure in 5 days (nominations officially announced on July 14) to see if they're right.

ChrisTilford wrote:AwardsWatch, an Emmy prediction website, listed the show being nominated for both Writing & Directing for the finale this year. It's not completely accurate, but it's very much a probability. Positively giddy that they could be possibly going up in both categories with The Leftovers's 'International Assassin'.

We'll know for sure in 5 days (nominations officially announced on July 14) to see if they're right.
I would love a nomination in one of the more major categories. Even though Sarah and Amy opted not to submit, Writing and Directing for Return 0 would be awesome. I don't think people truly understand how Flawless and beautiful that Series Finale was. My favorite finale to a show ever, but its easy for me to say that when its my favorite show of all time. Most shows don't nail the landing like Return 0 did.