Person of Interest (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Havoc1st wrote: Also, Root was always obsessed with The Machine since her first appearance? Right? So it makes sense when Root dies she becomes the voice of the The Machine. But the Shoot obsessed people, and the people who complain about the LGBT character's death, are blinded by the ship and can't see the whole picture.
What's worse is the basis for a lot of the outrage is Root's sexuality, which is incredibly reductive to the character, who was far, far more than the "token gay person."

GeneMod wrote:
Havoc1st wrote: Also, Root was always obsessed with The Machine since her first appearance? Right? So it makes sense when Root dies she becomes the voice of the The Machine. But the Shoot obsessed people, and the people who complain about the LGBT character's death, are blinded by the ship and can't see the whole picture.
What's worse is the basis for a lot of the outrage is Root's sexuality, which is incredibly reductive to the character, who was far, far more than the "token gay person."
I love Shoot as much as anyone ( They are my favorite on screen pairing ever ), and i fully support LGBT characters on tv alot especially if they are written well and strong, i also think alot of other shows out there are guilty of the LGBT killing for poor writing choices. However... i don't think Roots death falls into that same trap.

If you wanna say The 100 on CW killing their number one most loved and strongest written character ( who was a lesbian ) for cheap shock with a stray bullet 3 minutes after a love scene and the follow up to that moment was poorly done by the writers, ok i'll agree with you on that one because i too that it was a senseless LGBT killing and the impact/follow up was not sadly executed.

But Roots death was not senseless to piss of fans of Root and Shaw like myself, it was perfectly ( although sad ) written in the story, the impact of her death and the follow up to it ( noticeably with Sameen ) was handled beautifully all the way to the very end of the Show. Which is something The 100 or a lot of the other Shows guilty of the trope don't do at all. With the series we should celebrate how great her character was and the impact she had, her amazing loving connection to Shaw, and all the great moments that were perfectly written till the end.

lol hope my words summed it all up, i think we should all move on to a less controversial and more happy topic now ;) :D :D

Off Topic: I did check out the trailer for the upcoming USA series "Shooter" which of course is based on the novel, as well as the Mark Wahlberg film of the same name ( which was ok ). I don't about USA shows but its interesting.

I was trying to think of what my five favorite POI action sequences in the series were. This show has had a ton of those that were great but this is what i went with

1: Root vs Martine Shootout from Prophets
2: Root and Harold Gatling Gun Car Chase from The Day The World Went Away
3: John's Raid On Alonzo Quins Safe house from The Devil's Share
4: Shaw vs ISA Squad from Relevance
5: The final shootout from YHWH

Not gonna lie, Return 0 at the moment is my #1 POI episode but i feel like if i re-watch 6741 for a 4th time ( which i have not done yet ) i might be pushing Return 0 down to #2 because my love for 6741 emotional has always been strong. We'll just have to wait and see won't we ? :D

Slightly O/T:

Sci-fi short that was published by the Slate Magazine in April. Called Mika Model, written by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Pretty engaging plot, with well etched out characters. The lead, who happens to be an AI, reminds me so much of The Machine in the final 3 episodes of the show. To the extent, that I can easily picture Amy as her. Was reported a few weeks ago, that Netflix has picked up the rights to the story, & are developing it for the screen (unclear if it's for a one-shot feature, or a continuing series). They can really explore the ethics when it comes to Artificial Intelligence much more deeply, if it goes all the way. Could even be a hell of a companion show to what Jonah's looking to tackle in his passion project this October.

Between this, Altered Carbon (Richard Morgan, the author of the books, says he might even write an episode or two), & Westworld, the AI/cyberpunk void left by Person of Interest seems to be pretty well covered.

An analysis of the short, by a law professor who deals in robotics.

Also: Here's the second trailer for Netflix's Stranger Things. 80s paranormal science fiction, out in 2 weeks.

Jonah wrote:I've always suspected that it has something to do with the fact that he's left-handed and I'm right-handed, because he is somehow able to look at my ideas and flip them around in a way that's just a bit more twisted and interesting.
What if Christopher writes the spin-off?

ChrisTilford wrote:Slightly O/T:

Sci-fi short that was published by the Slate Magazine in April. Called Mika Model, written by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Pretty engaging plot, with well etched out characters. The lead, who happens to be an AI, reminds me so much of The Machine in the final 3 episodes of the show. To the extent, that I can easily picture Amy as her. Was reported a few weeks ago, that Netflix has picked up the rights to the story, & are developing it for the screen (unclear if it's for a one-shot feature, or a continuing series). They can really explore the ethics when it comes to Artificial Intelligence much more deeply, if it goes all the way. Could even be a hell of a companion show to what Jonah's looking to tackle in his passion project this October.

Between this, Altered Carbon (Richard Morgan, the author of the books, says he might even write an episode or two), & Westworld, the AI/cyberpunk void left by Person of Interest seems to be pretty well covered.

An analysis of the short, by a law professor who deals in robotics.

Also: Here's the second trailer for Netflix's Stranger Things. 80s paranormal science fiction, out in 2 weeks.

The void maybe covered, but they aren't in my heart like POI will forever be ( don't know why but despite jonah involved im still on the fence about WestWorld but i'll decide later ). Like the 80's horror styled poster for Starnger Things, show seems to be another show/movie using 80's thriller/horror NOIR throwback style thats become pretty popular these days ( The Guest, It Follows, etc. ).

Mika's author, confirmed that as things stand right now, they're doing it as a film, not as a show.

Upon reflecting on it, I can understand the rationale. They certainly can do the world-building, develop additional material, & run it as a series (since there have been many shows that have been adapted from short stories), but doing it as a flick can keep them a bit more precise, if that's the right word. But hey, plans change, & if they go further in long-form along the way, great. But a movie works fine, too (better to do a short as a film, and a novel/group of novels as a show, IMO).

Netflix do have a couple of genre flicks in the pipe: ARQ (by Orphan Black's Tony Elliott, & stars Jessica Jones's Rachael Taylor; based on an engineer, surrounded by a gang, who must protect a technology that could deliver unlimited energy.), & a Korean horror one called Okja (A young girl named Mija risks everything to prevent a powerful, multi-national company from kidnapping her best friend — a massive animal after whom the film is named after).

Given this one-off format the platform has, or even the miniseries one like they're doing with the Gilmore Girls revival this year, if PoI's story were to continue, be sweet if it's done in either way. The latter's more preferred: 4 episodes, at about 75 minutes each, I suppose (GG's 90). Or about one 2 hour film, every year/alternate year (like Disney's High School Musical; best I could think of). Can do about 3-4 those.

When TM gave Shaw Roots final message to her, you can see Shaw's eyes water up and she starts wiping her eyes... Shaw crying a bit might be one of my favorite moments ever. I loved this show

ChrisTilford wrote:Also: Here's the second trailer for Netflix's Stranger Things. 80s paranormal science fiction, out in 2 weeks.
Looks pretty good, and has a couple of familiar faces: Matthew Modine and Cara Buono.

Whistler wrote:
ChrisTilford wrote:Also: Here's the second trailer for Netflix's Stranger Things. 80s paranormal science fiction, out in 2 weeks.
Looks pretty good, and has a couple of familiar faces: Matthew Modine and Cara Buono.
My post POI show hunt has been highly unsuccessful. I even tried 12 Monkeys which wasn't really bad but... idk.

Not gonna list all the shows i've tried recently and failed, right now im trying Queen Of The South on USA. It wants to be the next Breaking Bad really bad but my patience is running thin with this one. The Telenovela version of This show was better. I too am interested in stranger things, i love its 80's throw back style.