Person of Interest (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I watch it mostly because Jonah Nolan is producing and writing it. I am sure there is a lot of cool shit ahead. And I like Caviezel as well, he is always solid.

I saw the first segment of this show on CBS.com and it cut off because of a very frustrating ad blocker error. From what I saw, it doesn't look as promising as I thought it would. It seems very campy and feels like many other dramatic shows in the same vein.

On a side-note, it is great to see "created by Jonathan Nolan" on the screen under a TV title.

Just came in to rate the first two episodes against three of the supposed Kings of TV: The Sopranos (Censored version), Mad Men, and Breaking Bad

1st Episodes
1. The Sopranos-6/5 or an A+
2. Person of Interest-5/5 or an A
3. Mad Men-5/5 or an A
4. Breaking Bad-4/5 or a B

2nd Episodes
1. The Sopranos-5/5 or an A
2. Person of Interest-5/5 or an A
3. Breaking Bad-5/5 or an A
4. Mad Men-4/5 or a B

I love The Sopranos, so Person of Interest is really doing great. The characters aren't as strong as the other shows, but what rocks is that they have interesting histories (you can see Chris' influence on John).

The acting is nice, again weaker to the other stuff.

What I like is the story. I don't watch much TV, just these few shows, a lot of kids shows from my youth for nostalgia, some of House, and some other. I've never finished one TV show, but the story of Person of Interest is great. It's a little like CSI, I'll admit, but what makes Person of Interest work is the mystery behind the characters with the rest of the story.

Also, the idea of spying is really cool.

Overall, this is a great show.

Putting Person of Interest on the same level as Breaking Bad, and by your scale, higher, is just... laughable and sickening at the same time.

Crazy Eight wrote:Putting Person of Interest on the same level as Breaking Bad, and by your scale, higher, is just... laughable and sickening at the same time.
...Yeah. Breaking Bad outshoots, outwrites, and outperforms Person of Interest to embarrassing extents.

-Vader

Just watched the second episode, it was way better and more interesting than the first. Loved it.

I generally like shows that have a flow of continuity, like Mad Men or Dexter. I saw the second episode just now and it doesn't have that feel. It's one of those shows where every episode is pretty self-contained.

This is an annoying concept, because it's like the characters saying "hey so what's happening this week."
The concept of the show (a surveillance machine that picks out potential criminal activity) obviously limits each episode to finding one person at a time, which is just so similar to many other crime shows.

I would really have hoped for something refreshing and new from a JJ Abrams and Jonah Nolan collaboration.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy wrote:I generally like shows that have a flow of continuity, like Mad Men or Dexter. I saw the second episode just now and it doesn't have that feel. It's one of those shows where every episode is pretty self-contained.

This is an annoying concept, because it's like the characters saying "hey so what's happening this week."
The concept of the show (a surveillance machine that picks out potential criminal activity) obviously limits each episode to finding one person at a time, which is just so similar to many other crime shows.

I would really have hoped for something refreshing and new from a JJ Abrams and Jonah Nolan collaboration.
You never know, man - Fringe was pretty much full of standalone episodes the first season, but in the finale they brought out a twist that changed everything. A great procedural is one where even the standalone episodes connect with the overall storyline. Here's hoping that Person of Interest can become such a show.

There's loads of week by week shows that make it work. For the most part, Fringe and Dexter are the same, but there's adequate character development and mini-arcs over a couple episodes that break it out of the mold. I see a lot of potential, but I'm not sure how much of that cna ever be reached.

-Vader

I just love to put my "review" out, after just 2! episodes. Yea..really.
I felt The Wire was a little boring in the start even looking back, but that show also taught me to take my time with shows..there are characters that the audience must get to know. And there is a backstory as well in Person of Interest, as in Game of Thrones..and that helps build character. Flashbacks are used in Person of Interest, and it involves 9/11 and what followed. I find it interesting, and worthy to keep my eye on. After all, the other half of Nolan is creating and writing this.. its stupid to not give it the benefit of the doubt anyway.