Person of Interest (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Have to disagree with Tim Surrette in that I think .exe does feel like the penultimate episode. The 'steps' of Finch's plan have a nice mounting tension, especially the walk along the corridor at the end -- the final simulation informing (all but one of) the others and tipping the balance, the repeated shots of the doors, the alarm lights. The retrospective vibe that's been clear all season gets a new form with the alternate timeline, and the callbacks continue. And there's John Nolan, who has a way of taking it up a notch close to, or in, a season finale. It's fitting that his final hour be his most impassioned, as it's taking place in the heart of Samaritan's operation.

Whistler wrote:Have to disagree with Tim Surrette in that I think .exe does feel like the penultimate episode. The 'steps' of Finch's plan have a nice mounting tension, especially the walk along the corridor at the end -- the final simulation informing (all but one of) the others and tipping the balance, the repeated shots of the doors, the alarm lights. The retrospective vibe that's been clear all season gets a new form with the alternate timeline, and the callbacks continue. And there's John Nolan, who has a way of taking it up a notch close to, or in, a season finale. It's fitting that his final hour be his most impassioned, as it's taking place in the heart of Samaritan's operation.
They way Greer die is a way even Greer would tell you he would want to die. Greer is Jim Jones is meets heavens gate lol. His death has disturbing symbolism to it and it was perfectly done ( and acted ).

I guess people felt Greer deserved a more brutal physical death at the hands of someone ( or gun ) but i loved this.

Greer-Finch duking it out verbally nearly made my computer monitor explode, lol. But seriously, the charisma of both Nolan and Emerson, in that scene, was almost too much for me to handle. It's easily one of my favourite scenes in this season and entire series of the show.

REALLY enjoyed this. Probably my favorite penultimate piece, with powerhouse performances from John Nolan and Michael Emerson, & kickass direction by Greg. The prime thing I was wrong about, was the fact that the AU stuff would've taken more precedence, but can't fault them for doing it the way they did. Very to-the-point, & in-sync with the show.

Got me thinking: If both The Machine & Samaritan are vanquished at the end of the finale (going by 5x13 promo, they're still functioning a bit), & given Greer's statement on proliferation (more on that here), think the show could end with another ASI coming about? They do have partial codes of both Samaritan & The Machine, incubating in that Faraday Cage, & I suppose that could be enough to let it loose. And that satellite shown in the extended trailer, could be representative of them. Probably a nod to Philip K. Dick's VALIS, or DC Comics's 'Brother Eye' (which was Jonah's inspiration for the Sonar System in The Dark Knight).

Either way, I'm pumped. Especially for the AI's potential embodiment in the form of this lovely lady (Fisher even called it 'Goddess Mode').

This one's by Patrick Xiong.

From the TV Guide Magazine.

Penultimate Episodes of POI have become the land where " Team Samaritan members die".

Martine in last seasons Penultimate "Asylum"

Greer's sacrifice in this seasons Penultimate ".EXE".

And probably my favorite of all the POI Penultimates. More then Asylum, More then House divided, More then Zero Day, and More then No Good Deeds.

The TVTropes Recap for .exe had this.

Some of my favorite shots from the finale promo.

Finch's alternate universe glasses aren't the same as the ones he wears in the pilot or in flashbacks, but similar to those he had on a mission in S1's Legacy: also a twelfth episode.