Women in Nolan movies

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
In Memento it was Guy Pearce's love that killed his wife: heart. In The Prestige she was drowned: water. In Inception she fell to her death: wind. In The Dark Knight she was blown up: fire. All that's missing is earth, and we see an earthquake in The Dark Knight Rises trailer. I'm pretty sure Christopher Nolan is trying to summon misogyny Captain Planet.

;)

Chaoticsouls wrote:In Memento it was Guy Pearce's love that killed his wife: heart. In The Prestige she was drowned: water. In Inception she fell to her death: wind. In The Dark Knight she was blown up: fire. All that's missing is earth, and we see an earthquake in The Dark Knight Rises trailer. I'm pretty sure Christopher Nolan is trying to summon misogyny Captain Planet.

;)
But Lenny's wife did not die! ;)

Chaoticsouls wrote:In Memento it was Guy Pearce's love that killed his wife: heart.
Eh? Explain. :eh:

Nolan is a super misogynist but has an effective way of concealing it. Every time he wants to beat the hell out of Emma, he goes and writes another screenplay.
Do you... like pineapple?

Yeah - his portrayal of female characters is my only issue with Christopher "HOLY CRAP AWESOMESAUCE" Nolan as a writer/producer/director.

He's not a misogynist - in the INCEPTION: The Screenplay book he mentions that he always includes 'relatable fears' in his work.
Relatable fears like losing a extremely fantastic lady for example.

But all his female characters are not refrigerator women ("A term that was created by Gail Simone - Women in Refrigerators (WiR) - refers to comic book women who have been depowered, raped, murdered and/or had their lives ruined specifically in order to fuel the stories of men").

Example: Ellie Burr in INSOMNIA.

:)

I understand people's problem with the portrayal of women in Nolan's movies. They are too simple, too 1-dimensional, too "remote", especially when compared to the male characters. But I think it's because Nolan's movies are really about men, and that's not a big problem to me. In every one of his movies there's a man in the center who's story is followed, and in that aspect women are only "supporting characters". I don't find this a problem. Still, I think in TDKR Selina could be the first female character who is at the same level as the male characters in the movie.

DHOPW42 wrote:I understand people's problem with the portrayal of women in Nolan's movies. They are too simple, too 1-dimensional, too "remote", especially when compared to the male characters. But I think it's because Nolan's movies are really about men, and that's not a big problem to me. In every one of his movies there's a man in the center who's story is followed, and in that aspect women are only "supporting characters". I don't find this a problem. Still, I think in TDKR Selina could be the first female character who is at the same level as the male characters in the movie.
Natalie in Memento isnt one dimensional.

Mr. Caine wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:I understand people's problem with the portrayal of women in Nolan's movies. They are too simple, too 1-dimensional, too "remote", especially when compared to the male characters. But I think it's because Nolan's movies are really about men, and that's not a big problem to me. In every one of his movies there's a man in the center who's story is followed, and in that aspect women are only "supporting characters". I don't find this a problem. Still, I think in TDKR Selina could be the first female character who is at the same level as the male characters in the movie.
Natalie in Memento isnt one dimensional.

Mason wrote:
Mr. Caine wrote: Natalie in Memento isnt one dimensional.
Congrats one character, this is quite a flaw in Nolan films.

As a woman, I gotta say, it isn't Nolan's fault - we just aren't that interesting.