Nolan Beliefs ?

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.

Guys, that was my point! Sorry if I wasn't clear, my fault haha, but my posts were directed at the people claiming Nolan just 'has' to be atheist whilst mocking various religious groups. Some were saying because he said he was raised Catholic that means he's an atheist, but I was merely point out there's a number of things it could really mean, and because he's a private person, we should try to respect that.

He's not a religious person by any means but he clearly is very philosophical, leaning towards existentialism/empiricism.

How'd you deduce existentialism?

solo2001 wrote:How'd you deduce existentialism?
Look at Memento. Leonard is the existentalist man. Never thinks about past or future but lives for and in the moment. His actions are what gives his life meaning. Hell, he even says so himself:

"I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them."

His other films also dip into this but Memento is the best example.

Jonas Agersø wrote:
steveportee wrote:
Seriously? Wow. Gideon Bibles are common objects to find in a hotel. And when faced with certain death, a lot of people will pray. That really has no relevance to Nolan's beliefs.
If it was so we could also assume that Nolan killed his wife by convincing her that she was dreaming, and that he is the Batman, and also that he is following people in his spare time, while he is duplicating himself in a magic-machine.

Its such a stupid comment The PhantomTerror came with. If an artist could only do art from his own perspective, and only bring in tiny objects that he did approve of, then what in the world would be left? Because there are wine-glasses in many of his films, does that also make him an alchoholic? Or perhaps he is a drug-addict since there is one of those in Memento.
:lol: Actually that's true! I was so stupid!

Inception is full of religious imagery-leap of faith, Yusuf, redemption... However both The Dark Knight and Inception
contain doubts about faith, complaints about the problems faith has caused... I am a devout Christian and a fan of Chris Nolan. His films have religion incorporated in them. He definitely knows about religion and doubts it... But does he believe? I don't know. No one can unless they stare into his soul..... Or Incept him.

Look, I think everyone is overthinking this. If a filmmaker is blatant about his/her religious beliefs, you'll see a Scorsese-like theme running through films - redemption, choice, acceptance...etc. Christ (typo, but it stays) is not that type of filmmaker. He is concerned with philosophical questions, sure, but he is not here to dictate necessarily his own take on life. He has even stated that he is an "extraordinary pessimist", but he still offers incredibly "hopeful" characters - Cobb, Bruce, etc... Because they offer dialogue about the greater "why are we here" style questions. My observation is that Nolan is an idea man - concerned primarily with the greater questions, not so much the answers.
"Chase your reality." - Christopher Nolan

Nolan isn't Canadien wrote:Inception is full of religious imagery-leap of faith, Yusuf, redemption... However both The Dark Knight and Inception
contain doubts about faith, complaints about the problems faith has caused... I am a devout Christian and a fan of Chris Nolan. His films have religion incorporated in them. He definitely knows about religion and doubts it... But does he believe? I don't know. No one can unless they stare into his soul..... Or Incept him.
You spelled Canadian wrong. :| :lol: