Other filmmakers on Christopher Nolan

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.

BobCobb wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 9:03 pm
Quentin Tarantino on Dunkirk. His #2 favorite film of the decade.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/ ... ssion=true
That interview is a great listen. He also said he thinks that it is Nolan's 2001: A Space Odyssey and his "apex mountain," while ranking his favorites as:

1. Dunkirk
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight / The Prestige

He also mentioned that he's lukewarm on Inception.

That was really cool to listen, too.

Really liked to see Nolan's honest thoughts on Tarantino's films. Did he think "Once Upon a Time.." is great like many others? Is he lukewarm on Django like some are?

"Is Netflix bad for cinema?" Charlie Kaufman was just asked at
@DublinFilmFest
"Christopher Nolan says it is. But he's living in a different world. Y'know... fuck you."

Edit: FYI Kaufman is making a film for Netflix

Calm down, Charlie.

Ace

Wow, this is an great thread. Can't believe I just discover it now.

nolannolanchrischris wrote:
November 4th, 2014, 2:10 pm
Oneironaut wrote:
MICHAEL MANN: “He works within the system here in a very commanding way. He has large ideas. He’s a complete auteur. He invented the post-heroic superhero. He can come up with an idea for a science fiction heist inside the moving contours of a dreaming mind and he had the boldness and audacity to have that singular vision and make it happen. His work is very, very focused and it’s truly his own. He operates very much in the present, in the now. We’re living in a post-modern, post-industrial world with decaying infrastructure. Many feel disenfranchised. Seclusion is difficult. Privacy is impossible. Our lives are porous. We swim in a sea of interconnectedness and data. He directly deals with these intangible but very real anxieties. He’s tuned into the reality of our lives, our imagination, our culture, how we think, how we try to live. The quest to understand that and to tell stories from there, that is a central motivator for him, I think.”

ZACK SNYDER: "I think everyone wants their movies to be successful but I think there's sort of what Chris has been able to generate with the movies that he has made, including the Batman movies I think, is original work that doesn't rely on the whims of pop culture but in informs pop culture. Which I think is the real trick of any filmmakers not to be a slave to trends but to then create those trends. They look to you for their direction. The Batman movies came out of nowhere. That take, that tone, came out of nowhere. If I had told you it's going to be a super-serious Batman movie that treats Batman like this mythological figure that is completely based in reality. You'd be like, okay that sounds like I don't know if that's going to work."

NICOLAS ROEG: “His films have a magic to them. They’re like incidents in one’s life; some things happen swiftly and some things take a long time to reveal themselves. They're marvelously disguised. Memento has this backwards-running time scheme, and yet you automatically find yourself applying the situation to oneself, to one’s daily life, which is very strange. The slipperiness of time, especially when it involves memory, that feeling of 'it's all true... but it wasn't like that', he’s got that on film, somehow. It’s a very rare thing. People talk about 'commercial art' and the term is usually self-negating; Nolan works in the commercial arena and yet there's something very poetic about his work."
I just need to quote this. Mann and Roeg are two very important filmmakers to Nolan and influenced him in a profound way. Seeing them praising Nolan is just a awesome thing ;)

Robin wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 7:48 pm
"Is Netflix bad for cinema?" Charlie Kaufman was just asked at
@DublinFilmFest
"Christopher Nolan says it is. But he's living in a different world. Y'know... fuck you."

Edit: FYI Kaufman is making a film for Netflix
Kaufman must of been reallllly mad about Nolan's Netflix comment.

This is an excerpt from his upcoming book
Last edited by radewart on July 1st, 2020, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't care that filmmakers violently criticize each other. But it should be done with more intelligence to create real debates.
For example, when Gilliam attacks Schindler's list, he brings in arguments, and I really like that, because I think debate is important in art. Or this quote from Ingmar Bergman about Antonioni:
You know, Antonioni never really learned the trade. He concentrated on single images, never realizing that film is a rhythmic flow of images, a movement. Sure, there are brilliant moments in his films. But I don't feel anything for L'avventura (1960), for example. Only indifference.
The big cinema movement in Italy in the forties or France in the sixties were done by people who very critical of how films were done and therefore tried to do it in a new way. Debate is important. But here Kaufman is not really arguing...