Terry Gilliam Speaks On Nolan

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Vader182 wrote:Watch out since there's actual spoilers in the spoiler tags.

His point would have a lot more credibility if Spielberg didn't base the film off a true story. It wasn't a film about the holocaust, it was a film about a historical figure who persevered and fought his surroundings slowly as he once couldn't care less about saving Jews, making him a compelling, ambiguous, but ultimately extremely hopeful character. There's always a few different stories to tell regarding any topic, and he told a non-fiction account of a beautiful story.

Also, Close Encounters is pretty dark
following a man who ultimately leaves his family because of obsession
, as much as people label Saving Private Ryan overly sappy and without much substance after the first half hour, the film's basically meditation on the nature of why you become a soldier, what it means to fight for one's country, and ultimately, the troubling choices one must make in awful situations, showing an unflinchingly honest portrayal of combat throughout, with long segments of the film being horrifying. The film's final moments (before the last scene) are inspiring- they don't comfort you, if anything it challenges you in a substantial, powerful way.

Minority Report doesn't answer any of the questions it poses, it brings up a long list of moral conundrums and makes no effort to end the film answering any of them
despite the film's happy ending that some speculate was merely a hallucination from the drugs
, A.I. was intensely bleak (though that was Stanley's movie really), the entire point and purpose of Munich was to raise a long list of uncomfortable questions and answer none, acting as a vehicle for ideas to flow and discussion to come of it. Frankly, he made the film knowing it'd piss a lot of people off, but he did anyway.

His comments are baseless and he completely misunderstands many of Spielberg's films, and conveniently bases his point on one film which he over-generalized. Yeah.

-Vader
Saving Private Ryan is one of my all time favorite films. What I just meant to say was he made a good point in general about Hollywood films just spoon feeding you. Spielberg is one of my favorite directors btw.

Well yeah, that's obviously true, but his comments on Spielberg make no sense, and I'm rather annoyed I keep seeing that video pop up everywhere and I keep needing to re-explain why it doesn't make sense lol.

I'll defend Spielberg till I die.

-Vader

mchekhov wrote:
Mahiya_Borden wrote:People have to understand that Inception was about lucid dreams and so the protagonists were controlling themselves to not let their subconscious take control of their mind. E

But it's the Mark's subconscious that populates the dream world...and they are not in control of it. So technically, Gilliam IS right....we should see more dream like events occurring, and sex plays such a huge part in our psychology that it would most certainly have to be depicted in a movie about dreams.
Robert Fischer subconscious was trained in case people were trying to extract or incept something from him. The fact that he was bringing his father's dead body to US, I'm pretty sure sex was not on his mind at that moment.

There are various films about dreams, this one was turned into an action flick. I love it for that.

Vader182 wrote:Well yeah, that's obviously true, but his comments on Spielberg make no sense, and I'm rather annoyed I keep seeing that video pop up everywhere and I keep needing to re-explain why it doesn't make sense lol.

-Vader
It makes sense to Terry, and it makes sense to myself. My favorite by Spielberg is still Close Encounters, and that was because I never thought it would have such an ending like it had. Not many other escapist endings like that in other Spielberg films iirc. It did not answer any questions, but it really took a dive into the unknown with that ending for me. Still in my top ten.

tykjen wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Well yeah, that's obviously true, but his comments on Spielberg make no sense, and I'm rather annoyed I keep seeing that video pop up everywhere and I keep needing to re-explain why it doesn't make sense lol.

-Vader
It makes sense to Terry, and it makes sense to myself. My favorite by Spielberg is still Close Encounters, and that was because I never thought it would have such an ending like it had. Not many other escapist endings like that in other Spielberg films iirc. It did not answer any questions, but it really took a dive into the unknown with that ending for me. Still in my top ten.
It doesn't make sense to me. When I heard Terry talk about Spielberg and Shindler's List, all I heard was a man so busy being annoyed it didn't ask one question, that he missed it asking another. I think it would be a lazy and incorrect to equate Spielberg to the spoon-feed Hollywood formula. Whether it's Close Encounters, Shindler's List, Empire of the Sun, Munich, Minority Report, A.I., or others; to say that Spielberg doesn't making challenging films is to say that you probably missed the point.

^What Teddy is saying.

On Nolan, I think Gilliam is also missing the point. With Inception, Nolan was not showing what but how our mind works - I'm aware that Freud believed that the human psyche was based around sex but this film is more about the external and environmental things that shape our mind, whether consciously or unconsciously e.g. the way in which Cobb responds to Saito asking him to 'take a leap of faith' - he responds to it due to the fact that it triggered an emotional chord in him relating to Mal saying the same thing. That's where the originality of Inception came from, and, dare I say it, the genius of Inception came from. It had so much potential to be anarchic and messy in the way that Gilliam's own Parnassus was, but Nolan kept the landscapes of the human mind under control, making the presence of the more bizarre aspects of it even more powerful when explored.

Spielberg has given much comfort for me with his films when it comes to giving closure, but not really raising much questions. He is a master of telling stories in any genre, hands down. But the open ending to Close Encounters was forever etched in my 6 year old mind at that time. I still enjoy just thinking and wondering about that ending. And Nolan with Inception's ending managed to re-do that to me.

Films are asexual? People don't always dream about action? Who is this loss? Is he that pissed because he couldn't see Ellen Page or Marion Cotillard getting it on?

sidewinder89 wrote:Is he that pissed because he couldn't see Ellen Page or Marion Cotillard getting it on?
Now I have this picture embedded into my brain.

Mason wrote:Didn't know where to post this, but found it interesting.

Gilliam: The Dark Knight is Like GTA
The Brazil and Doctor Parnassus director on Nolan's filmmaking.

In a wide-ranging interview with the Los Angeles Times' Hero Complex, acclaimed director Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Twelve Monkeys, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus) spoke about the work of director Christopher Nolan and compared The Dark Knight to one of the most popular video games of all time.

"The car chase stuff in Dark Knight is a video game; it is shot-for-shot, as you would get it in a video game like Grand Theft Auto," said Gilliam. "(Nolan's) got a weird balance; he understands all of that – the energy of it – so he chooses to put it in there yet he's also a very intelligent filmmaker who can do all sorts of things. He's incredibly good."

Gilliam didn't just stop with TDK: "With Inception, I wondered why all of the dreams were action movies. Don't people have other dreams? And what's interesting about the films are they are asexual. Maybe that's the problem. Women can represent danger in them but no one seems to be having sex in these movies."

Source: http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/121/1213905p1.html
I am sure Terry went online and purchased a Totem for himself. :-D