Christopher Nolan's Useful Lies

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Wow. Isn't it interesting then that (based on your thesis) The Dark Knight Rises is Nolan's ultimate answer to the sum total of his past work?

By this I mean that The Dark Knight Rises is his first movie to show the full consequences of a shallowly appealing lie - given that the entire movie is about how a "useful lie" (Dent Act, etcetera) comes undone and eventually hurts the people of Gotham more than it initially helped. Some of his other films certainly tinkered with the consequences, but TDKR is the first movie to explore, from the first act to the third, what happens after the "useful lie" has initially helped the proverbial "protagonist," which in this case would be Gotham City.

"Maybe it's time we all stop trying to outsmart the truth and let it have its day."

Well done! :clap:

o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:Wow. Isn't it interesting then that (based on your thesis) The Dark Knight Rises is Nolan's ultimate answer to the sum total of his past work?

By this I mean that The Dark Knight Rises is his first movie to show the full consequences of a shallowly appealing lie - given that the entire movie is about how a "useful lie" (Dent Act, etcetera) comes undone and eventually hurts the people of Gotham more than it initially helped. Some of his other films certainly tinkered with the consequences, but TDKR is the first movie to explore, from the first act to the third, what happens after the "useful lie" has initially helped the proverbial "protagonist," which in this case would be Gotham City.

"Maybe it's time we all stop trying to outsmart the truth and let it have its day."

Well done! :clap:
I can dig everything your saying here, It makes me appreciate Nolan's work even more especially when thinking about dark knight trilogy! I'm really glad Nolan got to do a third act with Batman just for what you said above. This is probably a question for another forum, do you think Nolan will direct a sequel again?

But I think that's probably the one thing that doesn't sit well with TDKR for me. The whole movie was about that lie and its negative consequences, but then at the end, it's just another lie (Batman's ending).

:lol: Yup.

Loved everything I've read here. Thought it might be interesting to look at this again now that Interstellar is out.

Useful lies come up multiple times in Interstellar, the main point of it summarized by TARS: " Absolute honesty isn't always the most diplomatic nor the safest form of communication with emotional beings."

Awesome.