Why do you enjoy/respect Nolan's films?

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Personally I enjoy Nolan's films because he respects the intelligence of his public. I think this man has many qualities,that he knows how to make best use of them by making movies and, at the end, the audience sees that. He's honest, clever and incredibly talented.
In this world made of mediocrity and deception, it's good to have true artists. Christopher Nolan is one of them.

Christopher Nolan is a man I hugely respect because he has the passion of cinema. He dedicates himself entirely to his work, he does every single of his films like it's gonna be his life achievement. He doesn't make fun of his audiences. As BlackBird said, he respects them, he respects their intelligence. He has a many great qualities. Clever, honest, straightforward, humble, kind and incredibly gifted, that's how I like him. The fame he has reached hasn't changed him. He doesn't make movies just for money. He is a true artist. He does the best he can so that the audience can truly enjoy his films and this is why they're so damn good. This is why I respect this man and his work.

All of his films are works of art. The stories, the photography, the way the actors perform, the editing, the music, everything is perfect. I genuinely love them. Every time I watch them it's like I'm entering another dimension... I feel like a kid watching a magic trick. Truly amazing.

Nolan once said his job was to gather talented people and to let them express their talents through his own ideas. Very good point of view, I guess. The more I learn about this man, the more I think he is really the director of the 21st century.

EDIT: Great pic BlackBird btw :twothumbsup:

Flying Rodent wrote:Christopher Nolan is a man I hugely respect because he has the passion of cinema. He dedicates himself entirely to his work, he does every single of his films like it's gonna be his life achievement. He doesn't make fun of his audiences. As BlackBird said, he respects them, he respects their intelligence. He has a many great qualities. Clever, honest, straightforward, humble, kind and incredibly gifted, that's how I like him. The fame he has reached hasn't changed him. He doesn't make movies just for money. He is a true artist. He does the best he can so that the audience can truly enjoy his films and this is why they're so damn good. This is why I respect this man and his work.

All of his films are works of art. The stories, the photography, the way the actors perform, the editing, the music, everything is perfect. I genuinely love them. Every time I watch them it's like I'm entering another dimension... I feel like a kid watching a magic trick. Truly amazing.

Nolan once said his job was to gather talented people and to let them express their talents through his own ideas. Very good point of view, I guess. The more I learn about this man, the more I think he is really the director of the 21st century.

What other directors would you say you respect as much (or almost as much) as Nolan?

Samsara17 wrote:
Flying Rodent wrote:Christopher Nolan is a man I hugely respect because he has the passion of cinema. He dedicates himself entirely to his work, he does every single of his films like it's gonna be his life achievement. He doesn't make fun of his audiences. As BlackBird said, he respects them, he respects their intelligence. He has a many great qualities. Clever, honest, straightforward, humble, kind and incredibly gifted, that's how I like him. The fame he has reached hasn't changed him. He doesn't make movies just for money. He is a true artist. He does the best he can so that the audience can truly enjoy his films and this is why they're so damn good. This is why I respect this man and his work.

What other directors would you say you respect as much (or almost as much) as Nolan?
Paul Thomas Anderson for sure, and James Cameron.

That is a hard question, I'll try to explain myself the best I can.

The only thing I'm waiting when I watch a movie is that the director won't suppose I'm a fool. That's just it.
If the director starts making his movie by saying to himself : "My public is intelligent. I'm going to film something which will challenge them, and make them think, make them cry, make them laugh, make them... feel something." then I'll love him. I work like that, and that's probably why I love Christopher Nolan's work. He's always pushing the limits, he's always trying to do something pure, something different, something worth watching. (At least that's what I think, I'm not a big cinema expert !)

Another thing is the way his films are moving. At the end of each Nolan's films, I've always stayed 5 minutes (Or more, Memento for example) in front of the screen, asking myself "What the fuck was that? He did it, he truly did it, that was fucking incredible !".
For example, when I watched Pulp Fiction, I wasn't in the same mood at the end of the movie. I really enjoyed it, and I could tell I just saw a masterpiece, but that was it. I wasn't really shocked or really moved, if you see what I mean. It's different for everyone obviously, but MY cinema is a moving cinema, and that's the way I want it to be.

I hope I made myself clear :)

Flutterby wrote:Another thing is the way his films are moving. At the end of each Nolan's films, I've always stayed 5 minutes (Or more, Memento for example) in front of the screen, asking myself "What the fuck was that? He did it, he truly did it, that was fucking incredible !".
For example, when I watched Pulp Fiction, I wasn't in the same mood at the end of the movie. I really enjoyed it, and I could tell I just saw a masterpiece, but that was it. I wasn't really shocked or really moved, if you see what I mean. It's different for everyone obviously, but MY cinema is a moving cinema, and that's the way I want it to be.

That's absolutely right! I always feel like that while watching Nolan (and Kubrick) films. When I watch films like Blade Runner, Saving Private Ryan, 12 Angry Men, Fargo, The Departed (and many other) I don't feel it. There's no doubt that these films are great but they don't have the same 'feeling'.

ThePhantomTerror wrote:
Flutterby wrote:Another thing is the way his films are moving. At the end of each Nolan's films, I've always stayed 5 minutes (Or more, Memento for example) in front of the screen, asking myself "What the f*** was that? He did it, he truly did it, that was f***ing incredible !".

That's absolutely right! I always feel like that while watching Nolan (and Kubrick) films. When I watch films like Blade Runner, Saving Private Ryan, 12 Angry Men, Fargo, The Departed (and many other) I don't feel it. There's no doubt that these films are great but they don't have the same 'feeling'.
I'm glad I'm not the only one like this then ! That's why I don't really like to watch these type of movies with someone else, because I can't share such deep feelings. For instance at the end of Inception, my father asked me : "Well, did you like it? ". And I was like : "Please, shut up. I can't talk right now and I clearly don't want to share with you what I'm feeling right now". So I just said (because I didn't want to be rude) "Well, I liked it! " or something quick, but I couldn't really speak.

I might look like a weirdo now :D

I enjoy his films because they are amazing and the best.

/thread

Baconboy wrote:I enjoy his films because they are amazing and the best.

/thread
Genius.

Like many of us, I enjoy Nolan's films becuase of his ability to create an intelligent storyline/script. The 'Batman' films aren't an example of that, but the films 'Following', 'Memento', 'The Prestige' and 'Inception' shows and proves that there can be some originality in this world. Take for example; 'Memento', what that film tackles is the ability to tell a story backwards, what we love about that is the outcome and how we become so suprise by what our beliefs in the characters in to by the end of the film. 'Inception' creates this film in the middle of the whole premise and doesn't treat the audience like pure crap, the characters take you through what they know about dreams and show that to us, while not taking away any development for each person. Nolan can conduct a great script and show us that through the power of Cinema and let it entertain us until the very end.