Other filmmakers similar to Nolan

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Well as I started a topic on films similar to Memento, thought I would start with directors similar to his styles/themes.

Lets get started then.

Nicolas Roeg - Don't Look Now
Darren Arronofsky - Requiem For a Dream
Rian Johnson - Brick
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will be Blood
Paul Andrew Williams - London to Brighton
Chan-wook Park - Oldboy
Alfred Hitchcock - The Birds

Ridley Scott.

Nolan and Scott's film styles are similar which is to be pretty much expected since Nolan cites Scott as one of his major influences.

Yeah another one thinking about it is Tom Tykwer. I thought The International felt very Nolan and I really like Run Lola Run

German director Florian Henckel Von Donnersmarck. If you haven't seen his film The Lives of Others you should do yourself a favor and check it out.

yeah top fim i agree totally

Check out the film The Machinist directed by Brad Anderson. One of my favorite performances by Christian Bale. I'm sure most of you have seen it already, but if not I'm sure you've probably heard of it anyway.

jcvargas09 wrote:German director Florian Henckel Von Donnersmarck. If you haven't seen his film The Lives of Others you should do yourself a favor and check it out.
Yea, that film was great. :)

Eternalist wrote:Ridley Scott.

Nolan and Scott's film styles are similar which is to be pretty much expected since Nolan cites Scott as one of his major influences.
I agree. Nolan's narrative structures also owe a debt to the Film Noir genre (which greatly influenced Scott's "Blade Runner" and "Someone To Watch Over Me").

Brendan M. wrote:Check out the film The Machinist directed by Brad Anderson. One of my favorite performances by Christian Bale. I'm sure most of you have seen it already, but if not I'm sure you've probably heard of it anyway.
I think that Bales performance in Machinist was his best carrer performance and this movie realy has similarity to Memento 8-)

some of these films are great thanks guys. I'm watching Brick at the moment. I can't believe I hadn't seen it until now *shame*
I felt Alex Proyas' Dark City was quite Nolan-like in respect to his use of flashbacks to create an broken narrative that perfectly comes together in an obscure story about extraterrestrial powers and humanity