Nolan vs. Greengrass: Who does better action?

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Christopher Nolan and Paul Greengrass are known for their popular films and their unique styles, Nolan for using a neoclassical style and Greengrass for his famous use of handheld and shaky-cam (The Bourne Ultimatum, Captain Phillips, United 93).

However, as I looked into the action scenes done by both directors, I would see that with the exception of some of Batman Begins's action scenes, one can see more clearly the action that occurs in Nolan's movies. However, with the case of Greengrass, while one could technically follow and understand what's happening, the editing and filming is more hyperkinetic and "jarring" than anything Nolan has done.

So what would you people say regarding who does better action? Does Nolan do it, or is Greengrass a better director of action?

I'm pretty sure the question comes down to non-shaky cam vs. shaky cam. To me i vote non-shaky cam.

The question should more like be Nolan vs. Gareth Evans. But then that would be unfair, because most people would choose Gareth Evans.

Nolan is the far superior director, but I'm giving the action scene edge to Greengrass. Personally, I enjoy his shaky-cam work in The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum. Those are two of the finest action movies ever made, especially Ultimatum. He also does great work in his other films.

Personally, that kinetic action adds a thrill and realism to the scene that is engrossing and immersive for me... when done properly. Not all directors to "shaky-cam" as well as Greengrass.

Ok. Even so, when I read through some critiques of Nolan's action, some people say that Nolan uses shaky-cam.

While I can understand the critique for Batman Begins, that's not necessarily true of the action in his other films like The Dark Knight, Inception, or The Dark Knight Rises.

Greengrass.

Can't really evaluate Greengrass because i can't see it.

Nolan wins by default.

Greengrass: Bourne vs Desh from The Bourne Ultimatum

Nolan: Bane vs Batman's first fight from The Dark Knight Rises

Vamos wrote:Greengrass: Bourne vs Desh from The Bourne Ultimatum

Fuck you Dr. Mann

Vamos wrote:Greengrass: Bourne vs Desh from The Bourne Ultimatum

Nolan: Bane vs Batman's first fight from The Dark Knight Rises

Honestly, I'm gonna go with Nolan on this one. I know people like to bitch about Nolan's action scenes, and I can somewhat agree that the choreography in his films aren't all that impressive, but at least I can actually SEE the fight scenes, with the exception of Batman Begins. With Greengrass it's like, "I know there's probably some cool fight choreography going on, now if only they would let me actually see it!"

Nolan