Where would he be without Batman?

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Hypothetical question...

...where do you think he would be, career wise, if he had not made Batman Begins? Would his career arc have found him in a position where he would be making Interstellar (or other films of similar size/budget) or would he still be making 'smaller' films a la Memento/Insomnia?

He probably would have still made The Prestige but films like Inception and Interstellar i don't know about.

I think the right questions should be: Where would Batman be without Nolan? Where would comic-book movies be without him?

Let's not forget that he's the one who saved Batman and not the other way around.

Mahiya_Borden wrote:I think the right questions should be: Where would Batman be without Nolan? Where would comic-book movies be without him?

Let's not forget that he's the one who saved Batman and not the other way around.
Very true.

I am certainly not trying to discount his talent by considering this question. I just feel that without Batman, Nolans career may have stalled slightly and taken a different route entirely.

Like you imply, Marvel and DC certainly owe Nolan some massive gratitude for taking comic book franchises to another level entirely. He made them accessible to everyone not just so called 'fanboys'.

He would have made more Insomnia type Hollywood films before eventually getting the nod to make Inception. Inception may have taken many more years to get made though. The Batman films gave Nolan a shortcut to being allowed the big budgets.