Water in Nolan films

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
I’ve noticed that water is a recurring theme in most of Chris Nolan’s films. Think about it:

Doodlebug: He puts the telephone in a jug of water to stop the voices.
Insomnia: Two key scenes happen involving water; the chase between Pacino and Williams on the floating logs, Pacino nearly drowns. And the final scene, when Williams is shot and his body disappears into the lake.
Batman Begins: They use the city’s water supply to poison the people of Gotham.
The Prestige: The water tank is part of the trick which involves Angier’s wife’s death, and near the end to kill Angier’s clones.

Now Inception… from the trailers; the slanting glass, the bathtub Leo falls in, water rushes in through the windows of a room, and on the poster Leo is standing in a flooded street. (Apparently there is another scene where Leo is in a car filled with water, but I haven’t seen it yet.)

Is it coincidence, or is Nolan establishing a sought of trademark for himself? Is there a deeper meaning behind it?

I think it's more coincidence. I don't think there's many visual motifs that Nolan carries into most of his films, more often it's thematic motifs that get carried over.

Besides, water is more Shyamalan's thing.

Maybe he's just a thirsty guy.

It's interesting, and I don't think it was just a coincidence.
Sun and water are the main sources of life. Steven Spielber always "uses" a SUN scene on his films (or almost) because of that.
In Sam Mendes' Road to Perdition all the deaths ocurred around the water as a contradiction between life and death.
Who knows what Nolan has in mind.

Three of Shyamalan's movies have water in large role.

"be like water"

OVERMAN wrote:"be like water"
Bruce Lee? 8-)
Why you lurking my page brah?

Eternalist wrote:I think it's more coincidence. I don't think there's many visual motifs that Nolan carries into most of his films, more often it's thematic motifs that get carried over.

Besides, water is more Shyamalan's thing.

i agree, i think it is coincidence also. Michael Mann also uses large bodys of water in alot of his movies too
Why you lurking my page brah?

I don't see much water in Following or Memento, a coincidence i think.
Water is a pretty common thing, 70% of the world is covered by it. Humans and most animals is 70% water. Humans and animals needs water to survive, there for 70% of all movies must contain water..
no fallacies in my logic :lol:

Dodd wrote:
OVERMAN wrote:"be like water"
Bruce Lee? 8-)
Bruce Lee, Spike Spiegel... lol