Water in Nolan films

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
In Interstellar water is a really huge thing. Literally. The entire water planet.

Lord Shade wrote:In Interstellar water is a really huge thing. Literally. The entire water planet.
Earth ? :D

Tom's kid, named Coop Cooper, had a bad cough. We hear him cough and clear his throat several times. One possible remedy for such a condition is, of course, WATER. This has a lot of deep, meaningful symbolism that could be explored in depth. But all in all, it all ties back to the important thematic element of water, which is found in several of Nolan's works, and, IMO, is one of his trademark themes.

Basically, it all ties back to the idea of WATER, and how water is an important symbolic element. Am I making sense here people?

dealwithit wrote:Tom's kid, named Coop Cooper, had a bad cough. We hear him cough and clear his throat several times. One possible remedy for such a condition is, of course, WATER. This has a lot of deep, meaningful symbolism that could be explored in depth. But all in all, it all ties back to the important thematic element of water, which is found in several of Nolan's works, and, IMO, is one of his trademark themes.

Basically, it all ties back to the idea of WATER, and how water is an important symbolic element. Am I making sense here people?
Absolutely, and I think it's yet another example of Malick's influence on Nolan. No coincidence that "We flow together like water" is a famous Malick quote

I think Interatellar is definitely Nolan's most "Malick-esque" film thus far. It felt that way to me.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
dealwithit wrote:Tom's kid, named Coop Cooper, had a bad cough. We hear him cough and clear his throat several times. One possible remedy for such a condition is, of course, WATER. This has a lot of deep, meaningful symbolism that could be explored in depth. But all in all, it all ties back to the important thematic element of water, which is found in several of Nolan's works, and, IMO, is one of his trademark themes.

Absolutely, and I think it's yet another example of Malick's influence on Nolan. No coincidence that "We flow together like water" is a famous Malick quote
Before each sip of tea, Nolan can be heard talking to his cup, whispering "I drink you. Now. Now".

Also, has anyone considered that the chemical formula of water is H2O? I think it's a metaphor. The H stands for "home" referring to planet earth. 2 stands for "to", referring to humans leaving earth and traveling "to" somewhere new. And O stands for outer-space.