Football Discussion Thread

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Flying Rodent wrote:
Lille is a good club, I'll give you that. But frankly, PSG sucks. Same does OM, all those guys are f***ing hacks.

EDIT: Are you French?
No I'm from England, you?
Well I'm french, obviously. :-D

I'm not to keen on english clubs, though I like Manchester United.

yeah but...

Why you lurking my page brah?

None of your players will ever be as legendary as this man

Flying Rodent wrote:
Dream-Xtractor wrote:

Do you go to matches often?

Dream-Xtractor wrote: No he isn't, just a typical poacher like van Nistelrooy. Messi and Ronaldo are way ahead of the pack though - two best players in world football by some distance.
But to be fair, the Primera Division is full of really weak teams against which Barca and Real can easily score 5 or 6 goals whenever they feel like it. So it's no wonder Ronaldo and Messi can reach up to 40 goals the season.
Bastian has been linked with several clubs over the years - i'd love to have him at Arsenal, such a classy player. Do you see him leaving anytime soon?
Sorry to dissappoint you, but no. He has a contract until 2016 and we won't let him leave one day earlier. He'll be 32 by then. I also can't think of any player we had to give away against our will in 13 years save Ballack.
And it's not a matter of money, we don't need any. We couldn't get any better playmaker, not realistically. And I actually don't think he wants to leave, he's been with us for almost 14 years.
I don't think we'll win the league as Man City are looking rather formidable but we are definitely in the mix for the final CL spot.
Pity, because I wish any team would win the PL as long as it isn't Man City. It's unbelievable that they're standing on top and praising themselves but at the same time have made a financial loss of 228 (!) million this year. They wouldn't even get a licence in our league.

Maybe Arsenal and Bayern are tied against in the CL, this would be fun :twothumbsup:
Mertesacker has done okay to be fair. He made a cock up on Saturday against Norwich and needs to adapt to the pace of the Premier League but what he brings is vast experience and much needed height, something we've lacked over recent years.
Ok, at least he matches the height :-D I read that the english newspapers are not too fond of him so I thought he was doing bad. But than again, the english media never like germans.

redfan wrote:But to be fair, the Primera Division is full of really weak teams against which Barca and Real can easily score 5 or 6 goals whenever they feel like it. So it's no wonder Ronaldo and Messi can reach up to 40 goals the season.
True but before Ronaldo went to Madrid he was starting to set the PL alight. He has a mind boggling record of 80 goals in in 75 games since moving to Real. The league may be a bit lopsided but you can't deny these guys are extremely prolific. I would like to see Messi play in the PL though, just to see how he would cope with the physical aspect of the game in England. I highly doubt he would get as much space as he does in La Liga.
Sorry to dissappoint you, but no. He has a contract until 2016 and we won't let him leave one day earlier. He'll be 32 by then. I also can't think of any player we had to give away against our will in 13 years save Ballack.
And it's not a matter of money, we don't need any. We couldn't get any better playmaker, not realistically. And I actually don't think he wants to leave, he's been with us for almost 14 years.
I figured as much, he seems a loyal player. Every summer his name pops up for a potential transfer to another club but it never materializes. Anyways I think we've got our eyes set on Mario Gotze who's a cracking little player and fits Wenger's bill more than Bastian due to the fact that he's much younger.

Pity, because I wish any team would win the PL as long as it isn't Man City. It's unbelievable that they're standing on top and praising themselves but at the same time have made a financial loss of 228 (!) million this year. They wouldn't even get a licence in our league.
Yeah those losses were ridiculous! They need to be pegged back a bit but they're taking the piss in our league and scoring for fun. Defensively they're not that great but when you have firepower like Aguero, Dzeko, Balotelli, Silva etc you can outscore anyone. Glad Napoli took care of them on Tuesday though.
Maybe Arsenal and Bayern are tied against in the CL, this would be fun :twothumbsup:
No, you're one team I would rather not face. Been impressed with your lot this season and I think we'd lose.

Ok, at least he matches the height :-D I read that the english newspapers are not too fond of him so I thought he was doing bad. But than again, the english media never like germans.
The main criticism of him is that he's too slow. Standing at 6"6 or thereabouts he's not going to be the very quick but I think his positional sense compensates for that lack of pace. Besides, he was over 70 caps for Germany so he can't be that bad! :lol: The English media love to over exaggerate things.

Tottenham is pretty good but atm Man City simply owns the Premier League. They will win it this year. Sorry Man and sorry L'pool :(

I want Gerrard so much to win a title but the folks at Liverpool don't know what the fuck they're doing with all that kind of money...

Flying Rodent wrote:
Dream-Xtractor wrote:

Do you go to matches often?[/quote]

Er-hum... I've never been to a match. Most of the time I just watch the resumes on TV, to keep myself updated. It's kinda hard to find the time to watch TV with school and homework. :shifty:

Flying Rodent wrote:Er-hum... I've never been to a match. Most of the time I just watch the resumes on TV, to keep myself updated. It's kinda hard to find the time to watch TV with school and homework. :shifty:
Hey that's cool. I can't go to matches anymore since I moved countries but used to be a season ticket holder. There's nothing like seeing a game live and being apart of the atmosphere - I miss it a lot.
RIFA wrote:Tottenham is pretty good but atm Man City simply owns the Premier League. They will win it this year. Sorry Man and sorry L'pool :(

I want Gerrard so much to win a title but the folks at Liverpool don't know what the fuck they're doing with all that kind of money...
Spurs worry me, they've got a good balance to their squad now with the additions of Parker and Adebayor. One of our players recently said he'd donate 3,000 GBP to charity if they finish above us. :lol:

Pool haven't started badly although they've drawn some games at home they should have won. It was the same problem a couple years ago where they would have easily won the league but for silly dropped points to the smaller sides. Suarez is a great signing though.

Dream-Xtractor wrote: True but before Ronaldo went to Madrid he was starting to set the PL alight. He has a mind boggling record of 80 goals in in 75 games since moving to Real.
I don't doubt that Ronaldo and Messi are induvidually the best players on this planet, but it's always difficult to compare different leagues.
Also, a really good player should be able to prove that he can stand his ground in different teams and circumstances and while Ronaldo has done that, Messi seems very dependant on Barca. He's awful in his matches for Argentina. I'd love to see him in another league, but he won't leave Barcas, he's too clever.
I figured as much, he seems a loyal player. Every summer his name pops up for a potential transfer to another club but it never materializes.
Every summer foreign clubs want to have some of our players, be it Schweini, Lahm, Müller or next year Kroos. They never succeed because once a player has been three or four years in Munich it's unlikey he'll leave. Look at Ribéry, two years ago he desperately wanted to go to Real or Barca and now he wants to finish his carreer in Munich. I can't tell why, but that often happens.
Anyways I think we've got our eyes set on Mario Gotze who's a cracking little player and fits Wenger's bill more than Bastian due to the fact that he's much younger.
Yes, Götze could be one of the best in the world some years into the future. I wouldn't mind if you got him because that would weaken Dortmund :lol: But he also has a contract until 2014 and Dortmund won't let him go at least until 2013. But he's only 19, I think it's better that he stays for two more years in Dortmund until he has a bit more experience.
But beware, we got our eyes set on him as well, although it would be ridiculous to get him now. We even don't have a clue how to include Robben and Müller into our team at the same time :lol:
Glad Napoli took care of them on Tuesday though.
We'll see that we defeat them so at least they won't bother Europe anymore :-D
No, you're one team I would rather not face. Been impressed with your lot this season and I think we'd lose.
If you win your group, it couldn't happen anyway until the quarters.

Besides, he was over 70 caps for Germany so he can't be that bad! :lol: The English media love to over exaggerate things.
Our media too. There are many who don't want him in our national team anymore. That is ridiculous because he's very good at wakening our team within the first five minutes of every match by making a horrible mistake that almost leads to a goal against. After that, every player is fully concentrated. So Merte's got an important job :lol:

When you live so close to your stadium (I didn't realize at first that "Emirates" is its name), do you go often to matches?
Edit: So you moved countries? Where do you live now?

redfan wrote:I don't doubt that Ronaldo and Messi are induvidually the best players on this planet, but it's always difficult to compare different leagues.

Also, a really good player should be able to prove that he can stand his ground in different teams and circumstances and while Ronaldo has done that, Messi seems very dependant on Barca. He's awful in his matches for Argentina. I'd love to see him in another league, but he won't leave Barcas, he's too clever.
I do agree that Messi has been sub-par by his standards for Argentina though I do believe he's improving. He was a bit unlucky in the last WC despite not scoring any goals - he was the most creative player and hit the woodwork several times.

As for Messi being dependent on Barca, yes and no. Having players like Xavi, Iniesta and Cesc will obviously make your life much easier because of their sublime passing technique and vision but Messi had 24 assists to go along with his ridiculous 53 goals last season. As good as he is putting the ball in the back of the net, his all round team play has improved tenfold. 25 goals and 12 assists for the campaign already.

Every summer foreign clubs want to have some of our players, be it Schweini, Lahm, Müller or next year Kroos. They never succeed because once a player has been three or four years in Munich it's unlikey he'll leave. Look at Ribéry, two years ago he desperately wanted to go to Real or Barca and now he wants to finish his carreer in Munich. I can't tell why, but that often happens.
I was certain Ribery would be at either Madrid or Barca by now but he seems settled in Germany. Like I said before, he's looking back to his best. You have arguably two of the best wingers in Europe in Ribery and Robben. Kroos is a very accomplished player, I like him a lot. One aspect he could maybe improve on is his goalscoring but then again if you have Gomez and Ribery banging them in for you it doesn't matter. :lol:
Yes, Götze could be one of the best in the world some years into the future. I wouldn't mind if you got him because that would weaken Dortmund :lol: But he also has a contract until 2014 and Dortmund won't let him go at least until 2013. But he's only 19, I think it's better that he stays for two more years in Dortmund until he has a bit more experience.
But beware, we got our eyes set on him as well, although it would be ridiculous to get him now. We even don't have a clue how to include Robben and Müller into our team at the same time :lol:

Yeah, I don't see them selling him for another couple of years either. Lots of reports were linking us with a January move but they were quick to dismiss that. It would be silly to part ways with their most prized asset right in the middle of the season when they're hot on the heels of Bayern in the title race. He's exactly what we need though after the departure of Fabregas and Nasri - we're missing a creative figure in the middle of the park. I would be shocked if you managed to get him because you really don't need him! :lol:
We'll see that we defeat them so at least they won't bother Europe anymore
:-D

Haha, can you see beating them again. They don't look ready for this competition yet but they'll most likely strengthen, if not in January then definitely in the summer. They'll be back.
If you win your group, it couldn't happen anyway until the quarters.
Good, we won our group last night with the 2-1 win vs BVB. It was imperative we did so we avoided the likes of you and Barca, at least for another round.

Our media too. There are many who don't want him in our national team anymore. That is ridiculous because he's very good at wakening our team within the first five minutes of every match by making a horrible mistake that almost leads to a goal against. After that, every player is fully concentrated. So Merte's got an important job :lol:
He's brought a lot of organization to our defence and I've never seen us look so composed at the back as we've looked this season. Okay there's still been some individual mistakes but in seasons gone by we would have committed many more. In the long run he'll be regarded as a very astute signing.
When you live so close to your stadium (I didn't realize at first that "Emirates" is its name), do you go often to matches?
Edit: So you moved countries? Where do you live now?
Yeah, I did. Went to every home game and a few away. The prices for tickets now though are utterly insane so maybe it was a good thing I had to move or else I would have been shelling out way too much every season. I now live in Florida. Do you go to many Bayern games?