Football Discussion Thread

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Dream-Xtractor wrote:He was a bit unlucky in the last WC despite not scoring any goals - he was the most creative player and hit the woodwork several times.
He wasn't impressing in the WC. Argentina was one of the favourites and did well in their group, but Messi didn't score or made a difference in the matches that mattered. I can't recall the match against Mexico, but he was completely invisible against Germany. He profitates much from his Barca colleagues, this is an well-practised unity with many automatism. Concerning his technique he certainly is the best player in the world, but I don't see him as a leader, a playmaker that can be the crucial factor in a hard match. He can't animate others.
I was certain Ribery would be at either Madrid or Barca by now but he seems settled in Germany. Like I said before, he's looking back to his best. You have arguably two of the best wingers in Europe in Ribery and Robben.
Three :-D Müllers absence is imo the reason why we lost to Spain last year.
Kroos is a very accomplished player, I like him a lot. One aspect he could maybe improve on is his goalscoring but then again if you have Gomez and Ribery banging them in for you it doesn't matter. :lol:
You seem to know Bayern well, do you watch a lot of international football? I'd like to, but I don't have the time. I mostly only follow Bayern and from time to time the other German clubs in the CL and lately Lazio Roma due to Miro Klose.
He's exactly what we need though after the departure of Fabregas and Nasri - we're missing a creative figure in the middle of the park.
I think there's a chance of getting him when Arsenal keeps on offering enough money. Sooner or later he'll leave Dortmund. But I guess you need a creative player before that's gonna happen. Seeing you making a bid of 40 milllions for Götze, why weren't you able to keep Fabregas if he was so important? Not that Barca needed him so badly.
I would be shocked if you managed to get him because you really don't need him! :lol:
I'd be too :-D But trying to tempt away the best players of our current competitors is a very common tactic of Bayern. So common in fact that the other German clubs don't care anymore. Doesn't keep us from carrying on though, it has become too much of a routine to stop it. I honestly don't think we'll buy him. We prefer Reus from Gladbach anyway, he's almost as good as Götze yet more unknown and thus cheaper.
Maybe Arsenal should try to get Reus :lol:
They'll be back.
Great, it's always a pleasure to beat those billionaire's clubs. :-D Maybe next year we'll strike against PSG with Beckham ... can't believe they want to have him. For one second I thought they wanted to be a serious club, but then they wouldn't want to have a 36 year old media star.
He's brought a lot of organization to our defence and I've never seen us look so composed at the back as we've looked this season.
Don't get me wrong, I'd be glad if he could help you and get better and more experienced himself. The next EC is waiting :-D
The prices for tickets now though are utterly insane so maybe it was a good thing I had to move or else I would have been shelling out way too much every season.
Yeah I heard that ticket prices are extremely high in England, yet the matches are often sold out. Just checked; you could get an annual season-ticket for Bayern for 160 dollar. That's not too much, but I rarely go to matches as I live three hours away from Munich, and I don't have a car. I've been to several matches over the years though. This July Bayern played a friendly game in Jena where I live and I managed to get tickets, that was cool :-D But I'd love to go to matches regularly one day.

redfan wrote:He wasn't impressing in the WC. Argentina was one of the favourites and did well in their group, but Messi didn't score or made a difference in the matches that mattered. I can't recall the match against Mexico, but he was completely invisible against Germany. He profitates much from his Barca colleagues, this is an well-practised unity with many automatism. Concerning his technique he certainly is the best player in the world, but I don't see him as a leader, a playmaker that can be the crucial factor in a hard match. He can't animate others.
Fair enough. There are probably a few other players out there have more influence on a game than Messi but if Barca offered him to us I wouldn't say no! :lol:
Three :-D Müllers absence is imo the reason why we lost to Spain last year.
I agree, Muller had a stellar WC and it was clear you were missing some penetration and that extra bit of quality in the final third.
You seem to know Bayern well, do you watch a lot of international football? I'd like to, but I don't have the time. I mostly only follow Bayern and from time to time the other German clubs in the CL and lately Lazio Roma due to Miro Klose.
Actually, I hate international football apart from the major competitions. I can't stand constant international breaks during the middle of the domestic season. The games are boring and there's always a chance of our players picking up injuries whilst abroad - van Persie being a prime example. How do you think Germany will do in next years EUROS?
Seeing you making a bid of 40 milllions for Götze, why weren't you able to keep Fabregas if he was so important? Not that Barca needed him so badly.
Fabregas had his heart set on returning to Barcelona for a long time and so there was no point keeping a player who wasn't 100% committed to the club. Wenger obviously didn't want him to go but in the end there really wasn't anything he could do to stop him. I think we were short changed though - a player of Fabregas calibre should be going for at least 40-50M but I think we just wanted to get it over with because it was dragging on and on.
Maybe Arsenal should try to get Reus :lol:
Can't say i've seen much of him. Is he in the German national side?

Great, it's always a pleasure to beat those billionaire's clubs. :-D Maybe next year we'll strike against PSG with Beckham ... can't believe they want to have him. For one second I thought they wanted to be a serious club, but then they wouldn't want to have a 36 year old media star.
Beckham :lol: Yeah Becks is still looking to feature in the England side but he needs to be realistic - Capello is building a new young squad and even regular club starters like Lampard aren't certain of their place anymore. Nowadays Beckham is good for the dressing room but as an integral player for a top European side? Nah.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be glad if he could help you and get better and more experienced himself. The next EC is waiting :-D
So who will most likely be your first choice back four? Per, Lahm, Hummels, Boateng?

Yeah I heard that ticket prices are extremely high in England, yet the matches are often sold out. Just checked; you could get an annual season-ticket for Bayern for 160 dollar. That's not too much, but I rarely go to matches as I live three hours away from Munich, and I don't have a car. I've been to several matches over the years though. This July Bayern played a friendly game in Jena where I live and I managed to get tickets, that was cool :-D But I'd love to go to matches regularly one day.
I would love to go to a game in Germany. You guys seem to have the most passionate fans and the stadium is always rocking whenever I watch a game on TV.

Dream-Xtractor wrote: but if Barca offered him to us I wouldn't say no! :lol:
Sure, I can see them doing this :lol:
I agree, Muller had a stellar WC and it was clear you were missing some penetration and that extra bit of quality in the final third.
It was so annyoing because Spain was totally defeatable during the WC. I mean, even Switzerland won, so why wasn't anyone able to throw them out?
Actually, I hate international football apart from the major competitions.
To be honest, I like it. It's something different to the daily League routine and our matches are always entertaining. Besides, when should they held the qualification for the tournaments?
How do you think Germany will do in next years EUROS?
I've been asking me that very same question since 1998, and not rarely was I convinced that we had a chance to win. One would mean that our team managed to succeed at least one time in 12 years, but no. The thing is, we have a very good, diversified and well-rehearsed team with some experienced players (Lahm, Schweini, Miro) and a few very young newcomers (Müller, Götze) so you'd think it might be the perfect composition. I believe that we could win. But who knows what team gets in our way this time. It's also slightly frightening that everyone just looks at Spain as the main competitor, in the end we'll probably be beaten again by Italy or the Netherlands or even England.

Do you think England can finally reach the semi finals again? I'd say they could if they managed to avoid both Portugal and shoot-outs :-D But of course, you have to replace Rooney. I heard you wanted to fight against his ban, how's the state of this matter?
I think we were short changed though - a player of Fabregas calibre should be going for at least 40-50M but I think we just wanted to get it over with because it was dragging on and on.
You could have tried to exchange him for a player of Barca.
Can't say i've seen much of him. Is he in the German national side?
Theoretically he would be, but so far he was always injured when Löw nominated him. It became some kind of a running gag in Germany that he hasn't been able to play for our national team yet :lol:
Here are some of his goals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy1Tnf5jUs0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux_Z2gpLQSo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nuGH70sepg

So who will most likely be your first choice back four? Per, Lahm, Hummels, Boateng?
Either them or Badstuber for Merte. I think it will chance from match to match, but these five will play if they aren't injured what's hopefully not gonna happen, because they're the only ones we have. Our defense is a little underpriveleged. What's the strongest part of England's team?
I would love to go to a game in Germany. You guys seem to have the most passionate fans and the stadium is always rocking whenever I watch a game on TV.
Then come here and we'll go together, I'm a club member of Bayern, I could get us some tickets :-D

redfan wrote:Sure, I can see them doing this :lol:
Hey, can't a guy dream? :lol:
It was so annyoing because Spain was totally defeatable during the WC. I mean, even Switzerland won, so why wasn't anyone able to throw them out?
Yeah, they won without playing that great tbh. But it's their ability to keep the ball and rarely give away possession that won them the cup. But if you can get the ball they can be scored on as their defence has always been their achilles heel.

To be honest, I like it. It's something different to the daily League routine and our matches are always entertaining. Besides, when should they held the qualification for the tournaments?
Well during the domestic season is the only time they have but it's still very annoying, especially when your team is on a great run and then has to take a 2 week hiatus. Completely ruins the momentum.

I've been asking me that very same question since 1998, and not rarely was I convinced that we had a chance to win. One would mean that our team managed to succeed at least one time in 12 years, but no. The thing is, we have a very good, diversified and well-rehearsed team with some experienced players (Lahm, Schweini, Miro) and a few very young newcomers (Müller, Götze) so you'd think it might be the perfect composition. I believe that we could win. But who knows what team gets in our way this time. It's also slightly frightening that everyone just looks at Spain as the main competitor, in the end we'll probably be beaten again by Italy or the Netherlands or even England.
You're one of the favorites, you have a very well balanced side. We saw it coming together in the last WC but unfortunately you fell short.
Do you think England can finally reach the semi finals again? I'd say they could if they managed to avoid both Portugal and shoot-outs :-D But of course, you have to replace Rooney. I heard you wanted to fight against his ban, how's the state of this matter?
England are a strange case. As you've seen we really haven't performed that great at major competitions despite having what looks on paper a pretty good team. I felt Capello got his tactics all wrong last year and we played some absolutely awful stuff. Then eventually when we faced a good team in Germany we were swept aside. Recently however a few young and upcoming players have broken through the ranks and given us a bit more of dynamic look to our team. Capello is trying to get rid of as much dead wood as possible and start a fresh because the likes of Portugal, Germany, Italy et al are doing the same and their squads are looking much better. But every time it's the same with England so we're not getting our hopes up only to be disappointed again. And yeah, we need to avoid shootouts! :lol:

As for Rooney, if he can't get his ban lifted then there's no point taking him. As good as a player he is (our best), he's going to miss all the group games and it would be a waste. We'd be better off taking players who can help us throughout the whole tournament. The hearing is sometime soon, fingers crossed but he's fucking stupid for doing it in the first place. We all thought he got over that petulant side of him but clearly not.
You could have tried to exchange him for a player of Barca.
We contemplated that option but they didn't want to part ways with anyone. I think Thiago was on our radar but they immediately rebuffed our approach. And obviously the likes of Iniesta, Xavi were out of the question :lol:
Theoretically he would be, but so far he was always injured when Löw nominated him. It became some kind of a running gag in Germany that he hasn't been able to play for our national team yet :lol:
Here are some of his goals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy1Tnf5jUs0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux_Z2gpLQSo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nuGH70sepg
Hmm, looks pretty decent. Got a great shot on him. Will keep an eye out on his progress.

What's the strongest part of England's team?
Probably our midfield/attack. We have a vast array of options on the wing in Young, Lennon, Walcott, Johnson, Downing and Milner. They're all very quick and hard-workers. In the middle Steven Gerrard would most likely play just behind the attackers but he's been injured for a while so Lampard has been playing there. Rooney is more of a second striker these days, linking up with the midfield and getting the ball into areas where either Bent, Defoe or even Welbeck can finish the chances. Defensively we're not that bad as we showed against Spain but we do tend to switch off from time to time and allow the opposition chances. Having said that, we've brought in a couple new young defenders with a lot of promise and they will definitely be considered for the EURO's next year.
Then come here and we'll go together, I'm a club member of Bayern, I could get us some tickets :-D
That would be brilliant! :twothumbsup:

Balls.

That is all.

Mason wrote:Balls.

That is all.
What kind?

War Eagle

Fucking Tottenham won again :x

Wales football manager Gary Speed has died at the age of 42.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) has told the BBC it appears Speed, the national manager for nearly a year, killed himself.

-----------

Absolutely shocking news. Thoughts go out to his family.

R.I.P

Dream-Xtractor wrote:Wales football manager Gary Speed has died at the age of 42.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) has told the BBC it appears Speed, the national manager for nearly a year, killed himself.

-----------

Absolutely shocking news. Thoughts go out to his family.

R.I.P
I can't believe the news, just shocked.