NFL Discussion Thread

A place for forum games and interesting thread ideas.
Posts: 41811
Joined: May 2010
dafox wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 12:57 am
Allstar wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 12:03 am
I don’t believe he missed anything from serious injury unlike Wentz. What will you say if he wins a Super Bowl and MVP again?! Still will prefer Wentz? :lol:
Wentz has an amazing arm and is more sound as a risk taker than early Favre. He's going to be up there with Rodgers, Wilson, Luck, Mahomes, and Watson as one of the elite quarterbacks for the next several years now that Brady, Brees, Big Ben, and Rivers are approaching their horizons. His injuries are at least unrelated/not the same tissue. It doesn't matter that he has the benefit of a great team that could win with an average guy like Foles. Ben and Wilson won superbowls early on while not being the driving forces for those teams. He's certainly better than Eli ever was and Foles definitely would have beat the Patriots those two times as well with those Giants' rosters.

With Kareem Hunt and Josh Gordon gone and San Diego showing that they're not elite it'll be one of the NFC teams i.e. LA or New Orleans. I have a soft spot for the Saints because Brees has always been underrated as one of the greats with a lot working against him e.g. injuries, abandoned by his team, height, and horrendous personnel around him. Brady has always had an idiosyncratic scheme to rely on with Mcdaniels and their dump off/horizontal offense so Brees shouldn't get flack for having Sean Payton. Peyton Manning always had great receivers and solid run games/defenses to work with. Seattle is well rounded enough to make a run whereas Chicago won't win without the cold complementing their defense and rush offense.
This Eli shade is pathetic. He’s had a remarkable career and is right up there with Big Ben and Rivers career wise. Not only the two superbowls and MVPS but career statistics he’s right there with them. I don’t see people holding it against Rivers being on some bad teams and missing playoffs. Damn, people have short memories. He’s had a horrid o line last several years and despite that he’s still putting up solid numbers to add to his resume.

Posts: 6771
Joined: February 2011
Location: The Discount Inn
Allstar wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 1:56 am
dafox wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 12:57 am
Allstar wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 12:03 am
I don’t believe he missed anything from serious injury unlike Wentz. What will you say if he wins a Super Bowl and MVP again?! Still will prefer Wentz? :lol:
Wentz has an amazing arm and is more sound as a risk taker than early Favre. He's going to be up there with Rodgers, Wilson, Luck, Mahomes, and Watson as one of the elite quarterbacks for the next several years now that Brady, Brees, Big Ben, and Rivers are approaching their horizons. His injuries are at least unrelated/not the same tissue. It doesn't matter that he has the benefit of a great team that could win with an average guy like Foles. Ben and Wilson won superbowls early on while not being the driving forces for those teams. He's certainly better than Eli ever was and Foles definitely would have beat the Patriots those two times as well with those Giants' rosters.

With Kareem Hunt and Josh Gordon gone and San Diego showing that they're not elite it'll be one of the NFC teams i.e. LA or New Orleans. I have a soft spot for the Saints because Brees has always been underrated as one of the greats with a lot working against him e.g. injuries, abandoned by his team, height, and horrendous personnel around him. Brady has always had an idiosyncratic scheme to rely on with Mcdaniels and their dump off/horizontal offense so Brees shouldn't get flack for having Sean Payton. Peyton Manning always had great receivers and solid run games/defenses to work with. Seattle is well rounded enough to make a run whereas Chicago won't win without the cold complementing their defense and rush offense.
This Eli shade is pathetic. He’s had a remarkable career and is right up there with Big Ben and Rivers career wise. Not only the two superbowls and MVPS but career statistics he’s right there with them. I don’t see people holding it against Rivers being on some bad teams and missing playoffs. Damn, people have short memories. He’s had a horrid o line last several years and despite that he’s still putting up solid numbers to add to his resume.
Eli has the hands down best skills positions players in the league right now and he's putting up average numbers. I'd only put Todd Gurley ahead of Saquon Barkely in terms of raw talent and there's a good chance that Barkely will be the best back in football in a couple of years. He's always had quasi elite receivers like Burress and Cruz and he's had arguably the best receiver in the NFL for the past several years yet no elite seasons. Rivers and Ben have had far worse o-lines than Eli, lesser supporting casts, and they're statistically head and shoulders better than Eli because they don't turn the ball over nearly as much. If Rivers and Ben are B+'s then Eli is a B- at best. Strahan, Osi, and Tuck were the real MVPs of the first superbowl win. His sideline completion in the second one was indeed pretty great tho but Welker's drop was the game defining play.
Last edited by dafox on December 24th, 2018, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 41811
Joined: May 2010
Second half of the season Eli’s numbers have been much better because guess what... the o line stopped being utterly horrendous. It all starts up front and if he’s protected he can still play...he’s never been mobile and the giants front office has utterly failed with the offensive line past several seasons. I’m just sick of Eli’s career being disrespected just because the team has been unsuccessful of late, the team has a lot of problems and he’s not the main reason for their struggles.

Posts: 6771
Joined: February 2011
Location: The Discount Inn
Allstar wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 2:22 am
Second half of the season Eli’s numbers have been much better because guess what... the o line stopped being utterly horrendous. It all starts up front and if he’s protected he can still play...he’s never been mobile and the giants front office has utterly failed with the offensive line past several seasons.
Second half improvement because teams are afraid of Barkely. No Oline doesn't mean you can't get pass yards and he might not even reach 4k this year which is pretty bad considering his supporting cast and the fact that they're a losing team this year, meaning they're constantly playing from behind and need to throw the ball all of the time.

Posts: 41811
Joined: May 2010
He’s 2 yards shy of 4,000 so he will easily surpass that next week. Also, yes bad team but they’re in most of these games so they’re not playing from crazy behind where he is racking up a lot of meaningless stats. When it comes to Eli he needs to be protected properly to be effective. Also, he’s been sacked more times this year than any other year (prob more than anyone) yet low int number and career best completion %. Yes I understand more mobile QBs will be a lot more successful on this team with the weapons they have but Eli is not that. They did not build the team correctly to his skill set of late. I do think the Giants should draft a QB next year though, it’s time to find the successor, I agree.

Also for example,

https://twitter.com/rvacchianosny/statu ... 09920?s=21

Posts: 91
Joined: January 2018
dafox wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 2:30 am
Allstar wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 2:22 am
Second half of the season Eli’s numbers have been much better because guess what... the o line stopped being utterly horrendous. It all starts up front and if he’s protected he can still play...he’s never been mobile and the giants front office has utterly failed with the offensive line past several seasons.
Second half improvement because teams are afraid of Barkely. No Oline doesn't mean you can't get pass yards and he might not even reach 4k this year which is pretty bad considering his supporting cast and the fact that they're a losing team this year, meaning they're constantly playing from behind and need to throw the ball all of the time.
I think this second half of the season resurgence has bought Eli at least another season so it’s going to be interesting to see what happens next year bc there will be no excuses with the talent around him. If I’m the giants though I’m not sure how I feel going forward with another year older Eli.

Posts: 91
Joined: January 2018
Allstar wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 11:53 pm
https://twitter.com/fo_scottkacsmar/sta ... 97121?s=21

He’s better. I don’t understand why Philly fans can’t see the obvious. Wentz is younger yeah but Foles is only 29 and doesn’t have the injury baggage Wentz is already heavily building up. The whole team plays better with Foles in the lineup. They never would have won Super Bowl with Wentz.
Thank god you’re not the GM for my team

Posts: 6771
Joined: February 2011
Location: The Discount Inn
Allstar wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 2:41 am
He’s 2 yards shy of 4,000 so he will easily surpass that next week. Also, yes bad team but they’re in most of these games so they’re not playing from crazy behind where he is racking up a lot of meaningless stats. When it comes to Eli he needs to be protected properly to be effective. Also, he’s been sacked more times this year than any other year (prob more than anyone) yet low int number and career best completion %. Yes I understand more mobile QBs will be a lot more successful on this team with the weapons they have but Eli is not that. They did not build the team correctly to his skill set of late. I do think the Giants should draft a QB next year though, it’s time to find the successor, I agree.

Also for example,

https://twitter.com/rvacchianosny/statu ... 09920?s=21
My mistake, I assumed espn.com included today's numbers. Still he had about 600 pass attempts the two previous years and barely cracked 4k in one year and fell well short of 4k in the other where he had Beckham, Engram, and Sheppard. Thats pretty disappointing since Engram is a freak just like Beckham and Barkely. A career best at 66% completion isn't much to boast about, especially when considering that Drew Brees almost has 10% more this year, which is insane and he broke his own record like 4 times already. There's no doubt in mind that Wentz is better then Eli ever was but this doesn't seem significant enough to get all worked up over. I'm just too used to arguing with people over fantasy football, which is really dumb but its fun ripping people off, who you mostly hate from highschool, and laughing at them for it later on. Gambling is lame so I'm done with it and I like to think that that's not just sour grapes over me losing the chance at 1500$ today :(

Posts: 41811
Joined: May 2010
Wentz is prob more talented, his career is so young though. I’m just defending Eli’s overall career. I admit I was trolling philly fans mostly with my Foles comments, that said there is no doubt and was being truthful that right now for whatever reason Eagles as a team are better with Foles.

Posts: 41811
Joined: May 2010

Post Reply