NF's Future Classics Thread (The Shape of Water)

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Michaelf2225 wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 5:01 pm
but i’m ngl i can’t help but roll my eyes when someone says it’s the best film of all time
because it ain't.

No.

With a 92% yes rate, The Shawshank Redemption is a certified classic film.

Next up: Is The Shape of Water a future classic film?

Nope.
The only Del Toro film that has achieved "classic status" is Pan's Labyrinth.

Numbers wrote:
August 3rd, 2018, 1:46 am
Nope.
The only Del Toro film that has achieved "classic status" is Pan's Labyrinth.

I don't think so. It's a really good movie but not a classic. It won the Oscar just this year and yet, nobody is talking about it anymore. Nobody is dissecting it, elaborating on it. It's a nice fairy tale but nothing more than that. I've seen more pieces about Three Billboards, Logan, Get Out and of course The Last Jedi from last year. Those will be the future classics of 2017 that will be famous (or infamous in case of TLJ) for years to come.

LelekPL wrote:
August 3rd, 2018, 3:52 am
I don't think so. It's a really good movie but not a classic. It won the Oscar just this year and yet, nobody is talking about it anymore.
that's how you know it's a best picture winner

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
August 3rd, 2018, 4:40 am
LelekPL wrote:
August 3rd, 2018, 3:52 am
I don't think so. It's a really good movie but not a classic. It won the Oscar just this year and yet, nobody is talking about it anymore.
that's how you know it's a best picture winner
Sadly, most of the time it's true but there are many exceptions to the contrary. I think from this decade we have only Moonlight and Birdman that are still being discussed. I think the previous decades were much better with choosing different classics - No Country for Old Men, The Departed, and of course epics like LOTR and Gladiator are still being discussed today (you could also add Crash but again, for all the things it did wrong rather than right). The 90's were even better at it. The 80's not so much (that decade had arguably chosen as many films wrong as this one we have now)

thank you for telling me about lord of the rings i'll check it out