An interesting idea

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
I am gonna throw out this intriguing, albeit ripped off, idea and see what kind of response it gets.

I have seen this idea on other forums, however it seems that Mubi has it down better than most. Essentially what it is is a tournament pitting one director against another until one is eventually crowned the winner.

It would begin by having different users pick different directors that they will then manage throughout the tournament. In each round the managers will pick one movie from the director's filmography to represent him in that round. The rest of the users (that have seen both films) will vote on which film they think is better.

Once chosen for a round a film may not be used again in later rounds unless the director does not have enough films to complete the tournament.

If you are interested in doing something like this post and let me know, I think it would be a blast to get going and it could be great encouragement to finally see those great films we have been meaning to watch for a while, or for discovering hidden gems we wouldn't have otherwise.

Sounds fun! So how do we start? Or maybe you should make some rules before it starts just to make sure the game doesn't get too predictable or unfair?

I am pretty much ready to get it going I just wanted to see if there was enough interest. I may just start it anyway.

I also was wondering whether we should make Nolan off limits for this, because he could have a bit of an advantage. I was also thinking if we got enough interest that it might be easier to have a sub forum somewhere for it.

I'm up for this. It's definitely a good idea to keep Nolan out. So, when do we start?

Good idea :thumbup:

I'll probably post it in the next couple days, I might start it in the entertainment section since it sort of applies and that section gets more traffic.

did this on another forum, but it isnt as involved with the members as it is here. we picked the best directors, and had them go against each other and vote who was the best. Scorsese won