Diary: A NolanFans Story

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Master Virgo wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 1:04 pm
Hey folks do you remember when you were defending Gadot for serving and supporting the criminal government and military of Israel.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15736&start=1640

And nobody was talking about what WB should do. We were completely justifying Gadot herself.
Yeah I think these two are particularly my favourites.

Nomis wrote:
June 2nd, 2017, 7:07 pm
There isn't anything wrong with supporting Israeli military.
Cilogy wrote:
June 2nd, 2017, 8:28 pm
hold on

someone from a place supports the things from that place?
Like holy shit, you people have freaking changed in the past two years haven't you?
Maybe I was inelegant in my sarcasm, but I don't see what I said as in the same vein as what Nomis said.

I was just saying, like, when you grow up in a place and that's your home and you've been raised and/or socialized by that community you're probably going to support that community. And she was Miss Israel. Also, military service is required for all Israeli nationals, right? So, like, she's very Israeli, so I don't know if it's a surprise to suggests she supports her country.

Like, shit, the US government has done worse things than Israel. Is it necessarily ignorant or dishonorable that I support my country's military?

Vader182 wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 1:11 am
on a completely unrelated note to the above conversation, I think im ready to buy a house (condo or townhome) and I'm stuck between wanting to buy in the city (expensive for the space, stupid, but gorgeous and fun) and buying in a nearby urban burb close to where I live now (smart, pragmatic, ugly, boring). my dad's advice is to rent in the city with the amazing view for 1-2, get that out of my system, then buy a place in the suburbs, but that feels like a waste of cash if logical.

I found a place I love in both locations, priced about equally. city = 2 bedroom 1000 square feet. burb = 3 bedroom 2000 square feet. the view from the city has a panoramic view of the Chicago Skyline in the hippest area of the town. only have 1-2 months to decide.

what should I do

-Vader
I really like having space so the burb seems like a good choice. And think about all the space you'll have to put up books and criterions! But the place in the city sounds really rad as well and I'm guessing you won't have to spend much on transport to go to cool places downtown.

Cilogy wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Like, shit, the US government has done worse things than Israel. Is it necessarily ignorant or dishonorable that I support my country's military?
About as much as whatsherface defending her country's police force.

As in, yes, it is.

We are supposed to defend what is right not whoever is in our team. But this discussion is finished now, let's leave it at that.

oh now it's finally finished lol

Vader182 wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 1:11 am
on a completely unrelated note to the above conversation, I think im ready to buy a house (condo or townhome) and I'm stuck between wanting to buy in the city (expensive for the space, stupid, but gorgeous and fun) and buying in a nearby urban burb close to where I live now (smart, pragmatic, ugly, boring). my dad's advice is to rent in the city with the amazing view for 1-2, get that out of my system, then buy a place in the suburbs, but that feels like a waste of cash if logical.

I found a place I love in both locations, priced about equally. city = 2 bedroom 1000 square feet. burb = 3 bedroom 2000 square feet. the view from the city has a panoramic view of the Chicago Skyline in the hippest area of the town. only have 1-2 months to decide.

what should I do

-Vader
I can only speak from personal experience, so you do you. But, the wife and I have been home owners for a year and a half, and it's been great. We bought a relatively big house in a rural suburb, and within that time frame our property value has soared. As urban development reaches further out into our area, the comps around us have grown exponentially. I imagine within 10 years we will sell for a tremendous asking price.

At the time, we could have easily gotten a place in downtown Atlanta for the price range we were at, but chose to commit to the long term upside of owning a home on the outer reaches of the metropolitan area.

Obviously, it's completely up to your preference and how you want to set things up for the future. But from my perspective, owning a home with some land yields a far greater reward in both future draw and in privacy.

wait ChristNolan has a wife? what?

having gone to school for 4 years in a major city, part of that time being in Los Angeles, i couldn't imagine living in the burbs. at least in philly, it's so much less "experience" and getting to the city is a 45-60 minute hassle on the weekends.

for me, being able to walk outside and get food from the corner store, or get black out drunk (i know you don't drink, vader but i'm illustrating here), and not have to worry about having a designated driver back home, is unbeatable. yes, rent is expensive, and yes, i'm moving to L.A. in a few months out of necessity (i want to be in new york but maybe in a few years...), but i can't overstate how convenient i find the lifestyle of city life to be.

again, i'm moving to L.A. which is a miserable, giant, collection of suburbs where 3 miles of driving is a 45 minute affair, however i love the layout of "real city" living

i think joey n brendo are after a more domestic life.

if both the city and burbs seem off what are your alternatives? my dream is ultimately pretty rural

Forum Pro
Law
ChristNolan wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 3:17 pm

I can only speak from personal experience, so you do you. But, the wife and I have been home owners for a year and a half, and it's been great. We bought a relatively big house in a rural suburb, and within that time frame our property value has soared. As urban development reaches further out into our area, the comps around us have grown exponentially. I imagine within 10 years we will sell for a tremendous asking price.

At the time, we could have easily gotten a place in downtown Atlanta for the price range we were at, but chose to commit to the long term upside of owning a home on the outer reaches of the metropolitan area.

Obviously, it's completely up to your preference and how you want to set things up for the future. But from my perspective, owning a home with some land yields a far greater reward in both future draw and in privacy.

I have 44 notifications that won't go away. How do I end my life?