Diary: A NolanFans Story

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Defending big corporations for the fuck of it is ridiculous. I agree.

Defending logic, fair mindedness, and not going hysterical due to one's bias and wanting to attack and undermine the creative work of an entire group of people on a wrong basis, is not.

Disney making Mulan is not appeasing to China's government. It's appeasing to the Chinese people. Unless they add propaganda bs in their film.

Don't sell them weapons and crowd control utilities, don't help them in that, but you can sell them freaking movies. There is no need to punish the people of China for the evil of their government.

Disney, by distributing the film itself and not making any kind of statement discrediting China, is literally appeasing the government though. The film is about soldiers for the Chinese government defending against revolting people/terrorists. No matter which way you swing that, the government can (and will) use it as nationalistic propaganda for its people. Disney knows this, and they don't care because of monetary reasons. That's people's problem with it. This isn't an excuse to hate on Disney. If WB released a film specifically about a soldier in Germany standing up for their government and following their leader at a time when the Nazis were in power, people would rightfully lose their mind and would expect WB to clarify their position on the matter. The whole situation is only made worse when the lead actress openly supported that controlling and restrictive government (which she, personally, has a right to do) without any comment from Disney.

I'm personally shocked at the way you're handling this Virgo. Instead of bringing up any kinds of defenses or sources, you're attacking individuals directly with rude statements or reactionary gifs, using fallacies that bring attention away from the point at hand, or using hasty generalizations about "Disney hate" when people are pissed off about one of the largest and most prominent governments on the planet blatantly abusing their power.

People are talking about this because it's the biggest film company in the world making a film related to the indirect empowerment of a tyrannical government. And that company is not making any statement showing disagreement of said tyrannical government's actions.

OK first of all fascinating that you'd be talking about rude reactionary gifs, since you are an expert on that, around here. I've been at the receiving end of those from you since I can remember.

The only thing that matters is whether the film is pro-establishment or not. And it's literally the story of a girl who rises against the patriarchal system and an oppressive government who has taken away her choice. lol

There has been a lot of misinterpretation on Kubrick, Nolan, Fincher, whether Dunkirk is propaganda for bloodthirsty British Empire or whatnot. Nolan for his share has tried to dismiss such notions whenever he can, and I expect the same from Caro, you know after the film has already come out, and there has been a traction on such pro establishment perceptions of the film. But this is the real truth:

“As a filmmaker, you can’t control the world that your film goes out into, what you can do is be true to the real-life events and what they meant to the people who were involved in them.”

- Nolan

Master Virgo wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 10:48 pm
OK first of all fascinating that you'd be talking about rude reactionary gifs, since you are an expert on that, around here. I've been at the receiving end of those from you since I can remember.

The only thing that matters is whether the film is pro-establishment or not. And it's literally the story of a girl who rises against the patriarchal system and an oppressive government who has taken away her choice. lol

There has been a lot of misinterpretation on Kubrick, Nolan, Fincher, whether Dunkirk is propaganda for bloodthirsty British Empire or whatnot. Nolan for his share has tried to dismiss such notions whenever he can, and I expect the same from Caro, you know after the film has already come out, and there has been a traction on such pro establishment perceptions of the film. But this is the real truth:

“As a filmmaker, you can’t control the world that your film goes out into, what you can do is be true to the real-life events and what they meant to the people who were involved in them.”

- Nolan
You begin this post by insulting me directly and end it by using fallacies that bring attention away from the point at hand... When I post a stupid gif it's usually because the conversation isn't going anywhere or if I know the person won't really get the point (can't wait for you to post a gif after this to make it seem like *all of us* are the ones not getting the point). But here, you're outnumbered as you generalize and attack any member that disagrees with you or is calling out your arguments.

That Nolan quote connects pretty evidently to the fact you previously stated: that Nolan has tried to dismiss dangerous and incorrect notions about his film. But that controversy was minimal, not corroborated by actors in the film, and largely came following the movie's release. Disney and Caro shouldn't be waiting until after the film comes out to dismiss angry consumers' perceptions of political maneuvering here, especially considering how dense the allegations are. The entire point of formally dismissing the notions immediately is to make sure there is no ambiguity on where the film stands in relation to current political matters in China.

There is no reason to be so angry and aggressive for people disagreeing with a mass scale company's lack of political statement on a tyrannical government, especially considering the subject matter of the film and the statements of the lead actress. Turning this into a "Disney hate" scenario or blaming people for feeling the way they do is a non-argument and is only making your case worse, and will only continue to derail more threads.

Outnumbered, huh?

personally i have a shit ton to say about this topic, but ya know guys, no offense to anyone on here, but there’s a point where you realize all of this is pointless and meaningless and trite

and one of the coolest lessons is knowing that you can’t win every argument out there, not because you’re inherently wrong, but because some people are so inclined to win, nothing you said would ever matter

and i do have this magical feeling that i’m not alone with this thinking, so the “outnumbered, huh?” comment sounds ironic at best.

You know what else is ironic? A dozen or two people thinking they are outnumbering millions.

Ruth wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 8:32 am
personally i have a shit ton to say about this topic, but ya know guys, no offense to anyone on here, but there’s a point where you realize all of this is pointless and meaningless and trite

and one of the coolest lessons is knowing that you can’t win every argument out there, not because you’re inherently wrong, but because some people are so inclined to win, nothing you said would ever matter

and i do have this magical feeling that i’m not alone with this thinking, so the “outnumbered, huh?” comment sounds ironic at best.
You're not alone Ruth

Master Virgo wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 9:03 am
You know what else is ironic? A dozen or two people thinking they are outnumbering millions.
With comments like these you're not doing yourself any favors. Thinking there are only 'a dozen or two people' sharing this opinion is delusional.

Hey folks do you remember when you were defending Gadot for serving and supporting the criminal government and military of Israel.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15736&start=1640

And nobody was talking about what WB should do. We were completely justifying Gadot herself.