Diary: A NolanFans Story

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Pratham wrote:a good jumping off point

i'll file this under "phrases not to use while talking to guys with low self esteem"
you obviously haven't been hanging with the right guys

akv1984 wrote:
I hate talking to my dad. Everything I do something is wrong. I bought Argo on Blu Ray for $9.99, he shows me that I could buy it on ebay for $6.89. "You could have saved $3 Ayesha. You could have done this Ayesha. It's your money Ayesha." Like holy shit okay.

I'm in talks with two companies for internships and they really like me. The pay is shit of course since it's an internship but it's experience and my portfolio will benefit greatly too. But of course I get shit like "I don't know what reality you are living in. Why do you get excited over $10/hr internships? You should have been an engineer." and then he'll tell me about some Indian daughter or whatever who gets paid $20/hr at an internship while going to school and will get hired full time.

Then he goes on and on about shit like how I should date, get married, lose weight, and just a laundry list of stuff. I can't do fucking everything. I can't check prices on every site, date, get a full time job, go to school for engineering full time, work an internship, lose weight, cook for the family, and god knows what else all at the same time.

It's frustrating. I don't even want to tell my parents about any job interviews I might have because I'll get shit for it. And like it doesn't even matter if they are for good companies. If the pay is shit the job is shit. One of the companies I interviewed with was voted #12 by the Houston Business Journal as the best place to work in Houston. They have a great reputation in Houston and are generally well liked. But of course pay sucks so I shouldn't even consider it.

It's just frustrating dealing with all this.
And that's why I do not talk to my parents. We're on a "need to know" basis.

Pratham wrote: You can try telling him that you'd be a shit engineer with a shit job because you have zero interest in that field.
Or your can try pipe method? You listen from one ear and let it out from another. Don't let it reach your brain.
I told them that but do you honestly think they care? And the fields are filled with shit engineers who graduated with 2.0 GPA's.
the_red_ninja wrote: And that's why I do not talk to my parents. We're on a "need to know" basis.
I live with them so it's just worse for me.

It's so dumb. I can't even have small victories. Like I find a little part time job to do while job searching so I can earn money, I get shit for that because it's not right by home.

I'm getting more job interview calls now since I have work experience and moving onto round 2 of the process. But no I can't take a little bit of pride in that because apparently it's the bare minimum and everyone gets interview calls.

And I hate the entitlement mentality they are trying to push on me. I changed my degree to marketing in my junior year, so I couldn't get any internships at all. Naturally it was tough for me to get a marketing job because I had no experience at all. So of course I have to do internships now to get that experience before getting that full time 9-to-5 job. Like why do they expect me to get a job paying $50k with benefits right out of college? The whole situation is just stupid as hell and honestly just so degrading to whatever small achievements I make.

^I guess it's just something you have to accept and try grow a thicker skin, not let stuff like this get to you, because I honestly don't see any other way out of this, it's not like your parents will wake up one day and realize how hard they're being on you, and if they ever do - yay! But they probably have to come to this conclusion by themselves, because if you were to try "reeducate" them all the time, you'll just waste your own time and well being.

Ruth wrote:^I guess it's just something you have to accept and try grow a thicker skin, not let stuff like this get to you, because I honestly don't see any other way out of this, it's not like your parents will wake up one day and realize how hard they're being on you, and if they ever do - yay! But they probably have to come to this conclusion by themselves, because if you were to try "reeducate" them all the time, you'll just waste your own time and well being.
Getting a thicker skin feels like it's impossible to do because I live with them. And no matter what the conversation is, my shortcomings are almost always brought up. Or they try to bring it up by talking about other people's bastards.

It's just a frustrating situation. I'm already cutting down on the amount of time I spend with them or talk to them. And it's the holiday season...I hate that they're at home from work more.

i dont know how much you've specifically told them about how the things that they do make you feel but that needs to be conveyed fully. talking can be hard but it's fine to write it in a letter and give it to them. it wont be fun to confront them but if all you're asking for is respect you automatically have the winning argument cause you do deserve it, obviously.

Yo, did Cilogy make it out alive?

the_red_ninja wrote:Yo, did Cilogy make it out alive?
I was wondering how it went too.

the_red_ninja wrote:Yo, did Cilogy make it out alive?
cilogy's fine

no word on the therapist tho

Yeah she was craving for my unresolved childhood trauma so desperately that I just ripped off all my insecurities and rammed my depression into her compassionate demeanor. She had me in a really vulnerable position while she gently rubbed all of that messy self-hatred out of me. Totally swallowed every single drop of my emotional honesty too. Then when it was her turn, I ate up all of her incredibly helpful advice. All of it. She was so good at it, by the end I was begging for more. It was only $100 and I'm thinking about seeing her again.