Confess Your Sins Thread

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
ChristNolan wrote:I have no interest in it and never will.
Classic Hopper yo.

Not surprising, you don't like anything even remotely fantastical/nostalgic etc.

It's part of a true mainstream now so it'll be interesting next year, going into season 2 and all. I have no expectations.

you people are crazy

m4st4 wrote:Not surprising, you don't like anything even remotely fantastical/nostalgic etc.
The fantastical part is mostly just a preference thing for me. I'm fine with fantastical elements, but it can't be the basis. It's why I can really get into ASOIAF but have absolutely no drive to dig into LotR or Harry Potter.

I have the same views on nostalgia in fiction as I do the jump scare in the horror genre. It's mostly used as a cheap tool to garner the audience's emotions or attention. Both can be used effectively when it serves complete purpose to the internal logic of the film/plot. Nostalgia for the sake of it is wank.

ChristNolan wrote:
m4st4 wrote:Not surprising, you don't like anything even remotely fantastical/nostalgic etc.
The fantastical part is mostly just a preference thing for me. I'm fine with fantastical elements, but it can't be the basis. It's why I can really get into ASOIAF but have absolutely no drive to dig into LotR or Harry Potter.

I have the same views on nostalgia in fiction as I do the jump scare in the horror genre. It's mostly used as a cheap tool to garner the audience's emotions or attention. Both can be used effectively when it serves complete purpose to the internal logic of the film/plot. Nostalgia for the sake of it is wank.
I can understand that and know quite a few people who think the same. As long as it's at least an option I say: good.

I mean, we all have our preferences but general idea for me is: I'm in as long as it's quality stuff... and it's the right time and place. Obviously we can't read, listen or watch all that is good in this world. And Stranger Things is one of those things that can get easily bumped on the menu purely because they're so loudly announced from every corner of the earth. The sweetest experiences are mostly the quiet, more private ones... which is probably why I always enjoyed my ASOIAF books more when nobody around me knew about them and I got to spread the word in my own way, by handing a book from one hand to another. Now, when it's basically everywhere, I see myself slowly distancing from it, like some sort of reflex. I think most of you guys feel the same for Stranger Things, and especially you since it's firmly based in the SF/horror specific aesthetic of the 80s.

It's still good stuff. Just like GOT series.

Cilogy wrote:you people are crazy
It has been sitting on my disk for few months now but I really have no interest in it. I can't even articulate properly why.

Cilogy wrote:you people are crazy

Still haven't seen Dungtwerk in IMAX and dunno if I will cuz I have to drive 4 hours to Denver or 4 hours to Salt Lake and I'm too busy drinking wine and eating pizza on the weekends to go.