A thread for Science

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Math = A Brainwashing tool.

tykjen wrote:Math = A Brainwashing tool.
In Maths you don't understand things, you just get used to them.

Math has always been my weakness. Not because I don't understand it, but because it's so damn boring that I can't pay attention for more than the first few weeks of a class before just tuning out whatever's being taught. I've never found any math course I've taken interesting, and at this point I seriously doubt I ever will.

Fuck math.

I really like maths. It's kinda of odd doing my degree which has a minimal amount of maths, I feel my skills have been steadily declining over the past 2 years.
I resented it for such a long period of time because that's all my Dad cared about in terms of my education (science was important too though), but I slowly realised that resenting it was doing me no good. So I guess I could say, I always enjoyed the feeling of successfully doing maths but I hated the repetition my Dad forced upon me as well as how everything else was neglected in favour of it.

I can't always call mathematics a science, from the right perspective or context it seems to work though.
Do you... like pineapple?

Fallz wrote:Trigonometry is easy. SOH-CAH-TOA. The only phrase you ever need to know, SOH = Sine which is the Opposite / Hypotoneuse. CAH = Cosine which is Adjacent / Hypotonouse. TOA = Tan which is Opposite / Adjacent.

Yes im a maths geek, deal with it :ugeek:
I really don't understand anything past basic algebra, which really sucks considering I'm gonna have to take higher math classes to get that biology degree.

But man, I would really like to understand physics more. Cause I think I kinda grasped what the general relativity theory is, but I still don't full understand it. That and chemistry, chemistry was like math so it confused me.

chee wrote:
Fallz wrote:Trigonometry is easy. SOH-CAH-TOA. The only phrase you ever need to know, SOH = Sine which is the Opposite / Hypotoneuse. CAH = Cosine which is Adjacent / Hypotonouse. TOA = Tan which is Opposite / Adjacent.

Yes im a maths geek, deal with it :ugeek:
I really don't understand anything past basic algebra, which really sucks considering I'm gonna have to take higher math classes to get that biology degree.

But man, I would really like to understand physics more. Cause I think I kinda grasped what the general relativity theory is, but I still don't full understand it. That and chemistry, chemistry was like math so it confused me.
basic algebra being (A x A)+(B x B)= (C x C) or basic algebra being x+6 = 10?

Fallz wrote:
chee wrote:

basic algebra being (A x A)+(B x B)= (C x C) or basic algebra being x+6 = 10?
Both are fine. Anything with that square root and fraction shit? Fuck dat.

Scientists close to entering Vostok, Antarctica’s biggest subglacial lake

After drilling for two decades through more than two miles of antarctic ice, Russian scientists are on the verge of entering a vast, dark lake that hasn’t been touched by light for more than 20 million years.

Scientists are enormously excited about what life-forms might be found there but are equally worried about contaminating the lake with drilling fluids and bacteria, and the potentially explosive “de-gassing” of a body of water that has especially high concentrations of oxygen and nitrogen.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

Until the mid-1990s, nobody knew there was a lake two miles under Antarctica’s icy Vostok Station. Now Lake Vostok is understood to hold more water than almost any other lake in the world.