Religious Discussions

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
BeHappyAndStupid wrote:Just a question. God is said to be immaterial, timeless and spaceless supernatural deity (it/he/she is not in this universe). So...if the universe we know is some 13.8 billion light years across and is rapidly expanding that means the space for god diminishes, right? :oldmanface:
If "he's" immaterial and spaceless he doesn't have "space". It's a relatively self defeating notion.

The idea of God being timeless and spaceless is a fairly recent one. I doubt the ancients would have thought that a concept of god like that would even make sense (because it doesn't). The book of Genesis isn't a story about a god creating a Universe from nothing, it's about Yahweh, the favored Israelite deity, separating the primordial waters to create Space and Earth. He's using pre-existing mythological "material", and almost all of these ideas are based off Babylonian cosmology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_cosmology

Is there any point arguing over whether or not religion is specifically a brainwashing tool? No, because what it boils down to is simply whether or not God exists. If he doesn't then basically everything the bible preaches is a lie and is therefore manipulating people into acting in a certain way based on false grounds.

Well, the god of The Bible and the Quran doesn't exist. The Flood never happened, the Exodus never happened, The Nativity story never happened, there wasn't a zombie uprising when Jesus was crucified (as Matthew says there was), Jesus probably never said he was divine, and Outer Space isn't made of water. The Bible's a work of folklore literature, nothing else.

Studying the Bible is the quickest route to atheism/agnosticism that could ever exist. I don't know that a Deist or Panentheistic god doesn't exist, but I know that the god of these religions doesn't.

gib sigs

Have any of you seen the God Loves Uganda trailer yet? It's a documentary about fundies in the US, seeing that their anti-gay rhetoric isn't going over so well in the states anymore, going over to Africa to influence the social policies over there--Uganda's had a "Kill The Gays" bill on the cards for a while now.

chom wrote:Have any of you seen the God Loves Uganda trailer yet? It's a documentary about fundies in the US, seeing that their anti-gay rhetoric isn't going over so well in the states anymore, going over to Africa to influence the social policies over there--Uganda's had a "Kill The Gays" bill on the cards for a while now.

Yea..KONY 2012 says it all.

The trailer reminded me more of Jesus Camp than Kony.

chom wrote:The trailer reminded me more of Jesus Camp than Kony.
Of course. But KONY 2012 is also result of the same people.