Religious Discussions

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Religions (nowadays) , IMO, are not more than historical heritage like any other ancient heritage of the people. The problem is some schmucks took that simple heritage and made a whole trivial mythology upon it just for the sake of their benefits .. and the story goes on. So,..
In a way, I agree with most of the topic-writer's opinion.

And the voice of reason.
All the world’s major religions, with their emphasis on love, compassion, patience, tolerance, and forgiveness can and do promote inner values. But the reality of the world today is that grounding ethics in religion is no longer adequate. This is why I am increasingly convinced that the time has come to find a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion altogether.
- The Dalai Lama
http://io9.com/5942616/dalai-lama-tells ... r-adequate

I wonder what Christian schools tell their students about The Last Temptation of Christ...

juliansplat4 wrote:I wonder what Christian schools tell their students about The Last Temptation of Christ...
As in the film? Nothing. Absolutely fack-all. At least, not in my school :lol:

Something happened a few days ago in my lecture at university that kind of bugged me and I wanted to discuss with you guys. In my International Relations somehow my professor started openly bashing Scientology, taking cheap jabs at it and the whole class got a cheap laugh at his comments. Now I in no way support Scientology or anything like that but I don't understand why it is socially acceptable to bash certain religions over another, fair enough Scientology as a religion has public pop-culture figures that do more harm than good in representing the cause, and it seems far more ungrounded than other religions but the point I'm trying to make is that people believe in this and it brings them comfort. If he were to get up infront of 300+ students and openly bash Christianity or Islam it would start a shit storm. I don't understand why people have to be a dick about religions that they don't like or fully understand, keep it to yourself and respect what brings other people comfort, simple as that. As a student I was actually offended that he felt that it would be appropriate to do such a thing in an academic setting.
Why you lurking my page brah?

Scientology is a religion created by an author on acid less than 60 years ago. It deserves to be mocked actually.

LiberNovus wrote:Scientology is a religion created by an author on acid less than 60 years ago. It deserves to be mocked actually.
Then why not mock christianity? After all, its a bunch of people praying to an invisible man in the sky, right?

Dodd wrote:
LiberNovus wrote:Scientology is a religion created by an author on acid less than 60 years ago. It deserves to be mocked actually.
Then why not mock christianity? After all, its a bunch of people praying to an invisible man in the sky, right?
Exactly. So mock them all then. Scientology is a scary one, though. The stories we know of just play out like another one of L. Ron Hubbard's science fiction novels. I can understand making fun of that one.

Curious, what kind of stuff did he say??

BatMan528491 wrote:
Dodd wrote: Then why not mock christianity? After all, its a bunch of people praying to an invisible man in the sky, right?
Exactly. So mock them all then. /quote]
No, do the opposite, believe or don't believe in what every you like. Keep it to yourself and don't be a dick about it. Simple as that.