DOMA Repeal Moving Forward

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Senate Democrats’ efforts to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), took a procedural step forward today - but final passage into law faces a very uphill climb.

By a party-line vote of 10-8, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the repeal of DOMA, the Clinton administration law that defines marriage as a union between a man and a union, out of committee by voting for the Respect for Marriage Act bill.

“So we begin with a single step on a march to equality,” committee chairman Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., said at a news conference following the vote. “Marriage is a matter for the states to determine — whether it’s my state or any other state. And those Americans who are lawfully married should have the same protection under federal laws that my wife and I enjoy.”

While noting disappointment at not having a single Republican vote in the committee, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., hailed the procedural step.

“DOMA is discriminatory,” Feinstein said. “DOMA prevents people legally married in a state to get the same rights and benefits — federal rights and benefits that a heterosexual couple would get. So it treats one class differently from another class.”

The bill’s next step is to be sent to the full Senate for consideration. It’s unclear when, if at all, the majority leader will take up the bill in front of the full Senate.

If taken up, prospects for final passage in the Senate are bleak. They look even bleaker in the Republican-controlled House of Representatives.

“Marriage equality will pass,” said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y. “The question is not if, but when. And we should just go forward and do it. … We know we’re on the side of history, and we know that this will happen. And we just hope it’s sooner, not later.”
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... he-senate/

Human Rights - 1

Anti-Gay Agenda - 0
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

I hate people who hate gay people.

It's only a matter of time till LGBT equality is legal. Republicans just look like asshats for fighting it.

steveportee wrote:I hate people who hate gay people.
Well said.

Just because someone has quite different ethics and lifestyle choices than you, and they don't actually impact other people in a literal, harming way, what the fuck gives you the right to limit that entire demographic's essential rights?

I've never understood it.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Just because someone has quite different ethics and lifestyle choices than you, and they don't actually impact other people in a literal, harming way, what the fuck gives you the right to limit that entire demographic's essential rights?

-Vader
I swear I thought you would have been on the other side of this issue.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

:twothumbsup:

Cilogy wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Just because someone has quite different ethics and lifestyle choices than you, and they don't actually impact other people in a literal, harming way, what the fuck gives you the right to limit that entire demographic's essential rights?

-Vader
I swear I thought you would have been on the other side of this issue.
A lot of people assume I probably am. Look, with abortion I feel the mother is murdering a human being when she gets an abortion, I feel as if that's harm to another person in a literal, direct way.

This isn't related to that whatsoever. I don't condone homosexuality, and I fully believe their actions are morally incorrect and against natural law. But just because someone disagrees with me morally, I have absolutely no idea why that somehow means you think you should restrict people's rights to conform to your beliefs. As said, it's a separate issue when other people get injured, hurt, or killed.

Even though most conservatives don't accept it, gay people aren't doing or acting in any manner loads of heterosexual people don't anyway. It's illogical to the highest degree, based out of fear of something they don't understand. It's highly upsetting how this country has viewed gay people, and I do everything I can to protect their rights, despite disagreeing with their choices.

I'm somewhat of a libertarian after all.

-Vader

-Vader

I don't condone homosexuality, and I fully believe their actions are morally incorrect and against natural law.
:facepalm: