World Affairs & Philosophy

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
dafox wrote:
SomeFrenchToast wrote:
A philosophy degree doesn't make you a philosopher, this meme is fail.
There is no exact way to become a philosopher. Majoring in philosophy (which isn't the same thing as getting a degree in philosophy) is obviously a big step... Thats three failed contrarian posts by you in a row.
Majoring in philosophy is irrelevant to become a philosopher. You have philosophy knowledge, okay, and so what? You don't need that to philosophize. It's only good to teach philosophy's history.

Also, why be butthurt about me all of a sudden? I'm not trying to be contrarian whatsoever, but if that's how you call speaking your mind, then okay, whatever makes you sleep at night

I've been reading Nietzsche lately. Some of his ideas about morality seem intentionally opaque (he calls himself an "immoralist" but it seems like he just hated Christian "slave morality" and thought morality as we have it favors the "weak" over the "strong" for economic reasons instead of real human solidarity), and I get a little creeped out by some of it's implications. He sometimes seems really empathic towards his fellow man and wishes all of us would realize our true potential, but then he writes as if compassion is intrinsically a bad thing. Maybe some of you folks understand Nietzsche better than I do on this, because I think most of his moral points are confusing as shit.

Still, the dude loved life--the same way a crazy boat captain loves sailing through a storm--so much that it's impossible not to dig most of his writing.

"However you may be, be your own source of experience. Throw off your own discontent about your nature. Forgive yourself your own self. You have it in your power to merge everything you have lived through--false starts, errors, delusions, your loves and your hopes--into your goal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHxuA8ZNvlU

Changed my avy due to the latest social and political upheaval that's going on down here since last week. If you wanna know more about what's going on, here's a CNN report.

Plus, as much as I'm a soccer fan, I sympathize and agree with this point of view:

Dado wrote:Changed my avy due to the latest social and political upheaval that's going on down here since last week. If you wanna know more about what's going on, here's a CNN report.

Plus, as much as I'm a soccer fan, I sympathize and agree with this point of view:

How's the whole debacle been affecting you personally?

darthnazgul wrote:How's the whole debacle been affecting you personally?
If you're reffering to the demonstrations and what appears to be a climate of chaos and disorder, is not affecting me personally (I even proudly took part in it last Sunday). What has been seriously affecting me (and the whole country for that matter) since I don't know when, is the ridiculous level of corruption and high taxes that has become common place in Brazil. It's practically a cultural issue. We pay one of the highest taxes in the world and get little (or nothing) in return. One of the names this movement is being called is "Wake up, Brazil!!!", hopefully, this wake up call will be heard. The raise in public transportation fares was like the last straw.

Can you believe this shit? :x :eh: :facepalm:

Dado wrote:Can you believe this shit? :x :eh: :facepalm:

jesus fucking christ

at this rate, I might even come down there and join you against this bullshit

Even though this is an extreme look at the events that might unfold in the future, it is interesting non the less. Makes me think of the interesting conversations we might have if we had a 'World War III' thread.

Cilogy wrote:
Dado wrote:Can you believe this shit? :x :eh: :facepalm:

jesus fucking christ

at this rate, I might even come down there and join you against this bullshit
Don't forget your Guy Fawkes mask! :twothumbsup:

I will never support Olympic games. I've always been against it mainly because they spend billions for the event while in reality in other nations kids are starving, people are getting killed, women are getting raped, sold for prostitution and stoned to death.

Olympics is a blasphemy. They can fix all those issues first and then can go play their games. Brazilians marching the streets are doing the right thing.