Does anybody else feel the world is getting dumber?

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

people like this guy. worst kind.

I often feel like as a society, we are becoming a lot more nihilistic and selfish because we are only motivated to do things to feel self-satisfied. And out of that, the world is filled with people doing stupid things and saying the most stupid stuff that poses no relevance or rationalization. Like for example, I get called albino a lot by people, and I admit, I am whiter than the average person, but in saying that, I do no have the features required to qualify as an albino; my skin is just very light and I have blonde hair, that's it. But I am faced with ridicule because of it, all because I am fairer skin they most Caucasian people. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not sick of being picked at by people because of it, and honestly I couldn't care less because even sometimes I make fun of it as well. But it's the constant need for them to have some kind of comeback to whenever I try to explain to them that I'm not albino; they have to deny whatever I say in order to have this self-satisfaction that they're shooting me down. It's the fucking arrogance that gets me, no self-doubt or humility or consideration for my well-being. People don't know the whole story about other people, and they only want to see things in black and white because they want to have that satisfaction. When I was young, to get satisfaction, you had to do something fun like go to a theme park or see a feel-good film or gain some advice from someone wise, but now people enjoy making fun of other people because they want to feel superior; they want to feel big. It's no different to the ideology of Nazism in that there are superior races. The same goes for discrimination against homosexuals, black people, mentally and physically disabled people, etc. You don't understand the pain that you can put someone through; no empathy whatsoever. Loyalty is just gone, and we can only do things that are considered conventional so we can be accepted into society and not be judged.

Rant over.

BlairCo wrote:I often feel like as a society, we are becoming a lot more nihilistic and selfish because we are only motivated to do things to feel self-satisfied. And out of that, the world is filled with people doing stupid things and saying the most stupid stuff that poses no relevance or rationalization. Like for example, I get called albino a lot by people, and I admit, I am whiter than the average person, but in saying that, I do no have the features required to qualify as an albino; my skin is just very light and I have blonde hair, that's it. But I am faced with ridicule because of it, all because I am fairer skin they most Caucasian people. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not sick of being picked at by people because of it, and honestly I couldn't care less because even sometimes I make fun of it as well. But it's the constant need for them to have some kind of comeback to whenever I try to explain to them that I'm not albino; they have to deny whatever I say in order to have this self-satisfaction that they're shooting me down. It's the fucking arrogance that gets me, no self-doubt or humility or consideration for my well-being. People don't know the whole story about other people, and they only want to see things in black and white because they want to have that satisfaction. When I was young, to get satisfaction, you had to do something fun like go to a theme park or see a feel-good film or gain some advice from someone wise, but now people enjoy making fun of other people because they want to feel superior; they want to feel big. It's no different to the ideology of Nazism in that there are superior races. The same goes for discrimination against homosexuals, black people, mentally and physically disabled people, etc. You don't understand the pain that you can put someone through; no empathy whatsoever. Loyalty is just gone, and we can only do things that are considered conventional so we can be accepted into society and not be judged.

Rant over.
I'll also add... capitalism. The concept of "competition". People feel the need today to be in competition with everything they do. That's why you have so many arguments between people and that's why you have people calling other people out for being one way or the other. In capitalism there needs to be winners and losers in order to make it work properly...

BlairCo wrote:I often feel like as a society, we are becoming a lot more nihilistic and selfish because we are only motivated to do things to feel self-satisfied. And out of that, the world is filled with people doing stupid things and saying the most stupid stuff that poses no relevance or rationalization. Like for example, I get called albino a lot by people, and I admit, I am whiter than the average person, but in saying that, I do no have the features required to qualify as an albino; my skin is just very light and I have blonde hair, that's it. But I am faced with ridicule because of it, all because I am fairer skin they most Caucasian people. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not sick of being picked at by people because of it, and honestly I couldn't care less because even sometimes I make fun of it as well. But it's the constant need for them to have some kind of comeback to whenever I try to explain to them that I'm not albino; they have to deny whatever I say in order to have this self-satisfaction that they're shooting me down. It's the fucking arrogance that gets me, no self-doubt or humility or consideration for my well-being. People don't know the whole story about other people, and they only want to see things in black and white because they want to have that satisfaction. When I was young, to get satisfaction, you had to do something fun like go to a theme park or see a feel-good film or gain some advice from someone wise, but now people enjoy making fun of other people because they want to feel superior; they want to feel big. It's no different to the ideology of Nazism in that there are superior races. The same goes for discrimination against homosexuals, black people, mentally and physically disabled people, etc. You don't understand the pain that you can put someone through; no empathy whatsoever. Loyalty is just gone, and we can only do things that are considered conventional so we can be accepted into society and not be judged.

Rant over.
I know exactly what you mean. I've experienced it countless times. For them, ignorance is bliss.

This guy has been my personal hero since i saw his TED speech some months ago
since then i never miss to watch every single interview of his

prince0gotham wrote:

This guy has been my personal hero since i saw his TED speech some months ago
since then i never miss to watch every single interview of his
You can always count on an educated brit lad to express good thoughts.