Do we really exist? Is the world we're living in real?

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Hours before I go to sleep, I think about this very question. I'm convinced that none of you exist and you all are a figment of my imagination. How do I know that you have a consciousness? How can I know that you have feelings and aren't just a hallow body?

Everything that has a beginning has an end. But what is the beginning of the universe? How is it possible that we exist? How can the Universe leap into existence? There has to be a beginning… Are we just programs controlled by the Machines? Are we just living a dream world ? Are our emotions and feelings just stimulated by our brain? Do I exist?

I invite you all to reply both scientific and religious explanations….

You watched Matrix/Ghost in The Shell/Dark City/Inception waaaaay too many times buddy ;)
No offense :D

Mr. Caine wrote:You watched Matrix/Ghost in The Shell/Dark City/Inception waaaaay too many times buddy ;)
No offense :D
I did. ;) But I had that thought even before watching these movies :D

This is actually a very serious argument and it's called Simulated reality.

This is really weird because I lie awake at night worrying if I'm just a figment of everybody else's imagination.

No, you're fake. The only way out is to shoot yourself in the head.

:JGLface:

If the world is real to you, then its real.

If its not, then check yourself into a mental hospital.

Problem is (and I'm really trying not to sound rude) what would be the point in asking this anyway? I mean a discussion over a piece of literature on that theme or a movie is something natural, but a direct question about it doesn't make sense.

:lol:

chee wrote:No, you're fake. The only way out is to shoot yourself in the head.

:JGLface:

If the world is real to you, then its real.

If its not, then check yourself into a mental hospital.
This a serious debate. I'm not making this up. Read this paper : http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.pdf

tl;dr

And I'm being completely serious too.

I just don't give a rats ass if my world is "fake". Feels real to me, then its real.

Just like I said in the alien thread, if there is no evidence to conclude that some guy has me plugged in a computer or whatever you think is happening, then there is nothing to argue about.