WikiLeaks

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
So what are your guys' opinions about WikiLeaks? It's all over the news lately. :|

I don't think anyone's really in the right here. I think Wikileaks could have worked as a "here's what your governments have been covering up" sort of mission. The Iraqi civilian death coverup was good proof of its potential. We should know what sort of nasty things our governments have been committing in our name without our knowledge.

But a lot of the more recent leaks have been just pointlessly malicious. And Wikileaks also haven't proven that they can properly censor their information so that nobody gets hurt (or God forbid, killed) over what's leaked. I know when the first batch came out, there was some concern over their naming of several Afghan translators who were helping the US.

At the same time, calling Assange a terrorist is over the top. If he really did commit the crimes he's accused of, he's no innocent either, but the timing and his treatment (bail refused, among other things) is very suspect.

So like all things in life, it's way more complicated than a good guy vs. bad guy situation. :lol:

Yea, I totally agree with the terrorist being over the top. The "assassinate Assange" is such bullcrap.

It's quite ironic that the US is going hammer and tongs after Wikileaks after repeatedly lecturing China about the need for unrestricted internet access.

kanjisheik wrote:It's quite ironic that the US is going hammer and tongs after Wikileaks after repeatedly lecturing China about the need for unrestricted internet access.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
So a Chinese should know what happened at Tiananmen Square protests in 1989, but an American shouldn't know there were no WMDs in Iraq.
gib sigs

kanjisheik wrote:It's quite ironic that the US is going hammer and tongs after Wikileaks after repeatedly lecturing China about the need for unrestricted internet access.
Ummm, sorry but there is a massive difference between China banning sights such as Google and America trying to not let everyone know the major setbacks in an ongoing war it is participating in.

Yeah, being caught obfuscating the total number of dead Iraqis is a real problem. :lol:
I'm not anti American at all tbh, but the witchhunt against Wikileaks looks a lot like McCarthyism to me.

There was a short and succint editorial in The Hindu that summed up my opinion about WikiLeaks. I'm guessing that you read it too? I'll post it here in its entirety -
It has been one long battle for WikiLeaks merely to exist on the Internet since it started publishing the U.S. diplomatic cables. The cat-and-mouse game that it has had to play to retain an accessible address in cyberspace is the result of a virulent attack launched by right-wing lawmakers in America and their supporters, and commercial entities such as Amazon, which caved in to the pressure. But more fundamentally, the WikiLeaks saga represents the acid test for free speech. With each tranche of documents published online, the world is witnessing the total loss of dominance of secretive governments over information. The backlash has come swiftly, with bellicose American Senators engaging in plain intimidation to get commercial entities to stop offering services to WikiLeaks on the ground that it is distributing material it does not own. Some politicians have made a jingoistic pitch and called for the execution of the source of the leaks. This is nothing but Digital McCarthyism. Were it not for the threat it poses to the free Internet, it would even appear amusing. Earlier this year, President Barack Obama was ‘troubled' by the cyber attacks on Google, which were said to originate in China, and wanted those responsible to face the consequences. The more freely information flows, the stronger society becomes, he had said during an earlier visit to China. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was also strongly critical of Internet restrictions in China. Now the boot is on the other foot. Concern for free speech is nowhere in evidence as extra-legal methods are deployed to deny Americans their First Amendment rights.

The campaign against WikiLeaks is a clear move to censor political material on the Internet and, potentially, on other media. The first moves made by lawmakers such as Senator Joe Lieberman, who chairs the Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee, have no legal foundation and yet have succeeded with Amazon and PayPal. What has followed is shockingly repressive and obscurantist. The Library of Congress blocked access to WikiLeaks across its computer systems, including reading rooms, and Columbia University students aspiring for diplomatic careers have been advised not to comment on, or link to, the whistleblower website's revelations. It is doubly tragic that such concerted attacks are securing support from countries with a progressive legacy such as France. The intolerant response to WikiLeaks is a potential threat to all media and must be fought. Senator Lieberman and other lawmakers have introduced legislation that proposes to make the publication of an intelligence source a federal crime. Already, U.S. law allows the shutting down of some Internet domains managed in that country on grounds of infringement of copyright. The threat to the publication of inconvenient material, even with responsible redactions, is all too real.
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editori ... 9bf0ad1a,0

I think WikiLeaks is good, even necessary - because it "watches the watchmen", so to speak. Governments all over the world now know that their dirtiest secrets could be revealed. It wouldn't matter which country it affected - I'd still feel the same. I, for one, am sick of hearing the BS that goes on and on 24/7. It's refreshing to know the truth - the REAL truth, no matter how bitter it may be.

I agree, I want WikiLeaks to stay. I just hope they watch their documents a bit closer so that no information gets out that can put people in danger. But yea, I do want an internet site that reveals what exactly my government is doing. And the response of my government is absolutely sickening, they can't even understand the first amendment.

I support what WikiLeaks tried to do... but still... if they hacked in the government data to get that information out (and if it will be proven)... they broke the law no matter if what they did was a morally good thing... it's a word out there that "moral wins are for minor league coaches"... you don't need moral wins to get these bastards on top... you need something more efficient...

Other than that, I've got a question, besides all the bullsh*t they "leaked", I think there's too much noise made by the U.S. for something that ain't that "secret" imo, I mean WikiLeaks didn't leaked anything besides A FEW cover-ups (which most of the people already believed in but they didn't have the proof to be 100% sure) that will make your jaw drop and throw a tomato at the white house... a bunch of conversations about different leaders in the world like the russians calling Obama "monkey" or the u.s. senators calling Putin "a midget" and so on... don't have that "wow factor" to me... So all this crap that's happening imo it's hilarious... I agree that at one certain point these leaks could make some relations between US and other countries to get worse but... that's far from happening because what they leaked ain't that much of a secret for them imo... :roll:

I wish WikiLeaks could be more efficient and really put out there something crazy.... 8-)
Last edited by RIFA on December 12th, 2010, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.