Florida High School Shooting

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 2:10 am
the mental illness argument is great, like yeah it's that illness that makes people go on shooting sprees that only exists in the US and has only been around for the past few decades
Insanity has thrived in the minds of the vulnerable since the time we first learned to kill.

In the UK they just use knives or hammers instead. Just in the last few weeks two people have been murdered close by where we live, one with a machete and one with a kitchen knife. Random attacks. It's true that whatever is available will be used if given to the wrong hands. Not being from the US I don't feel educated enough to lend an opinion on gun control etc, I think it's generally a positive thing if you're sound as a pound. Automatic weapons are a bit dubious and should be reserved only for the military, should they not?

I don't see any laws changing anytime soon.

"As American as apple pie" --> "As American as mass shootings"

Depressing state of affairs.

Students planning mass walkouts during school over the next few months.

It's so fucking exhausting and disheartening to live in a cycle of mass shootings and absolutely nothing getting done to prevent them. And then slowly have the feeling that this could just as easily happen to you or your loved ones sink in due to living in a sick country.

I have to wonder if America's rampant gun violence from white males and fetishization of these weapons is due to our disgusting glorification of war and the troops. Violence isn't seen as a bad thing among most Americans. Even fucking liberals in America are mostly warhawks.

I don't know I thought something would change after feeling sick for a week after Sandy Hook and then Charleston and then fucking Las Vegas.

Glad students are really fighting back this time. Hopefully it's enough to make a change.

Though the guns issue is rightly at the forefront here,with Mental illness seemingly appearing as the go-to stereotype now(some would argue its becoming a lazy one),has much been said about the possibility that these kids ,who react in such awful ways , are coming under domestic abuse or school bullying ?
These two possible issues have either been swept under the carpet or are just lumped oddly into the 'mental illness' category ,from what I've read.

Concerning the response of these young people I have nothing but admiration and full support for them.How they have dealt with this nightmare situation is touching and truly admirable.
They're going to come up against heavy opposition and they need all the support they can get.
If you can,give it too them.

Sanchez wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 12:12 pm
Glad students are really fighting back this time. Hopefully it's enough to make a change.
Yeah I think this is going to be the only way to enact change, I’m hopeful.

so ...

Rubio's statements and the NRA's LaPierre's speech is extremely disturbing stuff.

EDIT: Absolutely sickening to the stomach: