Texas Church Massacre

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Cilogy wrote:
DoubleD wrote:
Bacon wrote:Something has to be done about this.
I'm curious. What do you think should be done? How do we stop this from happening?
How have other countries stopped it?

Not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious. I don't know what it's like to live in a country where the right to have guns isn't actually valued more than the right to life itself.
How? I don't know. We never had that problem. Guns have been outlawed for a long time and we've never changed it. We had revolutions, we ended communism and we never needed guns to do it.

There was a period in the 90's where organized crime seemed to be a big deal in the media (they used to harass small businesses) and there's still the issue of corruption but violent crime is very minimal in Poland, and definitely no mass shootings or mass murders

Cilogy wrote:
DoubleD wrote:
Bacon wrote:Something has to be done about this.
I'm curious. What do you think should be done? How do we stop this from happening?
How have other countries stopped it?

Not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious. I don't know what it's like to live in a country where the right to have guns isn't actually valued more than the right to life itself.
Over here, we're starting to have the argument just now if maybe cops should be allowed to carry guns (on them and not just a pistol in their car) because of all the recent events.

It's really hard to own any sort of gun, and if you do you need all sorts of permissions and you'll definitely be put on a list. If you have any sort of record you're fucked, and I'm pretty sure people need their license renewed quite often. Automatic weapons are illegal, the same is equipment like laser sights and magazines bigger than 5 bullets on half-automated rifles.

The only people who own guns are hunters and collectors. When we had a terrorist attack on our soil in 2011, the guy tripled the usual murder rate per year alone. We're amongst the 10-15 last people on the list of annual murders, and the same with murders by police. To become a cop you actually need a three year long education first.

How we treat criminals I'm sure also helps alot. "Crime care" is actually a word in Norway, and a crazy amount of resources are spent every year to make sure prison inmates doesn't commit another crime when they leave prison. Michael Moore breaks it down the best in his recent documentary.