Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
I'm not sure if I'm speaking as an individual or as a male when I say this (possibly the latter), but I think we are entering into a stage of society where men are considered as shady by women until proven otherwise. Now, that is for a very good reason because of obvious reasons, but for me personally, it makes me question what is socially acceptable, even when I want nothing lewd or crude out when I talk to a girl.

An example of what I'm talking about is recently I saw on my FB feed that somebody who I work with posted about having trouble with the school organization that she was attending because they are notorious for their faulty communication between students. Me, a male, wanting to help because I have dealt with that same school organization before and managed to still complete my diploma despite the hassle, wanted to help her out. Now, in my mind, I became doubtful because me and her don't talk that often but we've never really had a reason to. I knew in my heart of hearts I wanted to help her, but I was also scared me trying to help could be seen and misconstrued as me trying to get to know her and impose myself on her problems; it might even be considered as mansplaining.

Like I said, I'm not sure if I'm speaking as an individual or as a male, but I do feel stigmatized because of my gender when I want to talk to a girl about her problems and I'm so conscious of the possibility of them thinking of me as a weirdo with a hidden agenda. Maybe it's a self-confidence thing, maybe I need to check myself because God knows I'm trying to avoid possessing the stereotypical male mentalities that are seen as irritable by women.

When talking about the whole Weinstein debacle, which is not acceptable in this decade or the 60's, it has helped expose a terrible rich man and is sure to scare all other rich and powerful men who have also committed similar acts of injury and harassment. What I'm scared of is this story becoming about men's behavior in the workplace rather than a story about the abuse of power.

Ruth wrote: EDIT: I really kind of want to think Damon wasn't directly complicit in this with the whole "killing the story" thing, idk lol. But then again, in some way, and it isn't just Hollywood, because people of power preying on those weaker than them, especially women, isn't an isolated case unique to the entertainment business only, so in a sense, we're all complicit on some way or other, and I think it's the hard reality and something we all should realize. The amount of people who keep telling they didn't know (and maybe some didn't, who knows) anything about this is a clear giveaway when the rumors were always (or at least for the past years) just a click away on the internet. I think George Clooney said something about this and he's totally right. Way too many bystanders just choose to close their eyes in front of something uncomfortable happening or don't exactly know what to do with this kind of knowledge, and only seem to take a harder stance when something really big like this finally happens.
yeah, the writer who Damon called confirmed his statement - she said she didn't feel he knew anything about what she was writing, and he just specifically relayed his good experience with the guy she was writing about

but regardless, it just bothers me that so many men could work with this Weinstein and not know anything. at best, we believe what Clooney said (i tend to) that a number of them knew something was going on, but didn't think anything of it past, "ew, this creepy old guy is hitting on a young girl". it's just depressing as fuck that in the 21st century this could take place.

What's also saddening is that it took days for people to start reacting the way they did today... And still SO MANY people remain silent. Some really big names who have zero to worry about career and reputation-wise..

I'm really glad this is happening though. These women are literally creating a different kind of "tomorrow" for aspiring artists, female artists especially, and in general a discussion about abuse of power is happening, so as much as I feel repulsed, I also feel very grateful.

Master Virgo wrote:I don't get Paltrow's story. She says Harvey has made advances towards her and then has threatened to fire her if she tells anyone or something, but up until now she was willing to bury this story because the guy had been lobbying hard for her undeserving Oscar. I mean what kind of a person takes a picture like this with a man who has harassed her in the past.

It's fine if you were somehow willing to forgive him, but why are you kicking him now that he's down? I'm sorry lady but you're a hypocrite.£
Lots of people go through that though. Think about all the men and women who get abused by their own family members. They outright hate those people but they still take a nice picture every once in a while.

Hollywood is very very public. Sometimes people get jobs just by being photographed with the right people. Paltrow is smiling in that picture but deep down she's thinking about how much she hates him.

Paltrow's a bit crazy. Not defending the other side but that should explain half the stuff she does.

Wow... Great of you guys to slap a label on to Paltrow as a way to justify why she's not a credible source. Shia LaBeouf is a crazy SOB, but if he came forward and said he was a victim of sexual assault, I would 100% believe him. Looking at that photo, for those of you who think that smile is genuine, do I have to remind you that she is an actress? If she convinced you that her smile is genuine, then she did the job well of showing the illusion of a business relationship between her and Weinstein. It seems to me that for these actors who are speaking out now rather than all those years ago, it must be a reasoning of "If you want to get the roles, you can't speak out against me".

Master Virgo wrote:I don't get Paltrow's story. She says Harvey has made advances towards her and then has threatened to fire her if she tells anyone or something, but up until now she was willing to bury this story because the guy had been lobbying hard for her undeserving Oscar. I mean what kind of a person takes a picture like this with a man who has harassed her in the past.

It's fine if you were somehow willing to forgive him, but why are you kicking him now that he's down? I'm sorry lady but you're a hypocrite.£
Dude you need to get over those 1998 oscars

BlairCo wrote:Wow... Great of you guys to slap a label on to Paltrow as a way to justify why she's not a credible source. Shia LaBeouf is a crazy SOB, but if he came forward and said he was a victim of sexual assault, I would 100% believe him. Looking at that photo, for those of you who think that smile is genuine, do I have to remind you that she is an actress? If she convinced you that her smile is genuine, then she did the job well of showing the illusion of a business relationship between her and Weinstein. It seems to me that for these actors who are speaking out now rather than all those years ago, it must be a reasoning of "If you want to get the roles, you can't speak out against me".
Did you read my post?

Rob Schneider Says He Was Sexually Harassed by Director
Rob Schneider is speaking out about the Harvey Weinstein sexual misconduct allegations, and the 53-year-old actor says that the Hollywood executive isn't the only one that that is guilty of behaving in such a manner.

While speaking with TMZ, the Hot Chick star explained that he too was sexually harassed by someone in the movie business. After stars like Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and others came forward with their experiences with Weinstein, Schneider said that harassment and abuse happen to both men and women in the entertainment industry.

Schneider recalled a situation in which a "gross director" made a semi-nude pass at him.

"There was a gross director and it happened to me. I was in a hotel room. It was weird, I didn't think it was going to be a weird situation," he said.

"But it was a famous director, just before I was really famous. The next thing I know, I'm in a room with this guy and he's in a chair. He comes out in a bathrobe and sits in this chair. The next thing I know, he's asking me to crawl on the ground and to crawl to him. Then it was just this disgusting feeling," Schneider continued.

Schneider didn't name the director but he did say that the filmmaker had passed away.

According to Schneider, actors hoping to make it in Hollywood are "vulnerable" to sexual assault or harassment.

"They are particularly vulnerable because they need an agent, and the agents are creeps too. They're trying to get a job and the casting directors, the producers...it's rampant in the industry. There's not one actress that doesn't have a story," he said.

Schneider's comments were similar to that of actor Terry Crews, who came out with a sexual assault allegation of his own.

Alright, so who is the director?