Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Master Virgo wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 2:24 pm
I do consider 17, the right age for consent as is the case in the most corners of the civilised world. If I didn't, then I would have joined shaunner in his crusade against Call Me by Your Name.

Having said that, if she was manipulating him from childhood then that's indeed disgusting, but that's not something we can possibly know for sure.£
I’m just going from my country’s perspective, which is 18 = legal. But context is everything and right now we don’t have a lot of story to ‘stitch’ those years from her first professional relationship with him (when he was just a kid) to teenage years. Still, Asia is known for a fucked up lifestyle, her own father Dario directed her in many morally questioning scenarios in his movies. And she was in relationship with Weinstein for years. It’s not like I’m going to actively seek the ending of this sick story but right now that is my stance. 🕷️

This is inaccurate?

£

Master Virgo wrote:
I do consider 17, the right age for consent as is the case in the most corners of the civilised world. If I didn't, then I would have joined shaunner in his crusade against Call Me by Your Name.

Having said that, if she was manipulating him from childhood then that's indeed disgusting, but that's not something we can possibly know for sure.£
He played her son as child in a movie and according to the article maintained the relationship as such up until the incident. They would even call each other mother and son. She groomed and manipulated him into sexual acts.

Master Virgo wrote:

A 17 year old is obviously not equal to a 12 year old, but a “relationship” (if that’s what some want to imply) with somebody 20 years your senior is in no way healthy when you’re that young. The power dynamics are so vastly different that all responsibility falls on the shoulders of the mature 37 year old to not be manipulative or conniving. It’s also their responsibility to not start a relationship with someone that age at all.

Age aside, I’m just a little puzzled by you questioning the guy’s stance. Like, have you wondered how many women have potentially used metoo as a way to retaliate to somebody? Plenty of people did on the internet, we all kinda know what sort of people they are.

Master Virgo wrote:

A 17 year olds brain is not fully developed. An older person with experience on their side inevitably creates a toxic power balance between them both. How this falls into "consensual" or "non-consensual" is up for debate but it's at best problematic.

-Vader

Virgo, I confused my numbers. Guess I was never interested in double checking the numbers here lol. But my perspective is that of a high school teacher and, like Vader said, teens at that age just aren’t capable of fully comprehending the emotional weight of the situation such as this. Thirty something (almost forty in this case) should definitely know better than to engage in a physical relationship of any sorts before said teen is at least a bit older and has more experience than just high school problems and getting that driver’s licence or first legal alcoholic drink. And I’d be tiptoeing around the issue way more if it wasn’t Asia, infamously wild girl since forever. 🕷️
Last edited by m4st4 on August 20th, 2018, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The reason why people were okay with Call Me By Your Name is because the story provided a lot of context. Like we knew Oliver wasn't abusing Elio and we knew that Oliver didn't have power over Elio.

But with this case....yeah...Argento is in the wrong honestly. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if the genders were switched.

Artemis wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 3:25 pm
The reason why people were okay with Call Me By Your Name is because the story provided a lot of context. Like we knew Oliver wasn't abusing Elio and we knew that Oliver didn't have power over Elio.

But with this case....yeah...Argento is in the wrong honestly. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if the genders were switched.
Yeah, power play was very important there, since none had emotional control over the other, they were equals. Not to mention it was a story from the late 80s. Things change every decade, my late grandfather married my grandmother when she was 16 or something. That was 60 years ago.🕷️

I spoke too soon without knowing all the facts. Mother/son relationship definitely makes this indefensible.£

Master Virgo wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 2:36 pm
This is inaccurate?

£
oh look my ... vacation map ... sorry

On a serious note though, Call Me By Your Peach does sort of romanticize it but also explores the complexity of the situation when given the context

But in fairness, you could also use that argument for any of Weinstein's situations.