Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
and even if he was

I mean, that's life I guess

your favorite people turn out to be horrible

fuck

Allstar wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 11:59 am
Master Virgo wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 9:14 am
I really hope McKellen has not been part of his circle.£
There’s really nothing to suggest he was at all.
There isn't anything solid of course, but a couple of things confuse me.

I don't get why he was opposed to background checks for pedophilia back in 2010, when the law required, that adults who wanted to work alongside minors in theater, first register. And his reasoning doesn't make any sense to me.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ctors.html

And then there is the matter of Brad Renfro. The child actor from Apt Pupil, who was an addict and died from overdose about ten years ago, and seems very likely to have been one of Singer's victims. That kid invited McKellen to his own house in Hollywood when he was only 15, and according to McKellen they had a magical evening together (wut?)

http://www.mckellen.com/writings/080116br.htm

Clearly all of that could possibly mean anothing, but idk, it just bothers me a bit.£

Ian McKellen: Kevin Spacey, Bryan Singer Allegedly Abused Others Because They ‘Were in the Closet’

“Frankly I’m waiting for someone to accuse me of something,” McKellen joked when the subject was first raised, to laughter from the audience, “and me wondering if they’re not telling the truth and me having forgotten.”
“If they had been able to be open about themselves and their desires, they wouldn’t have gotten into the … they wouldn’t have started abusing people in the way they’ve been accused.”
McKellen went on to say that it is “debatable” whether people who have been accused should continue working. “Do you want to see someone who’s been accused of something that you don’t approve of?” he said. “Do you ever want to see them again? If the answer is no, you won’t buy a ticket; you won’t turn on the television. But there may be others for whom that’s not a consideration.”

So disappointing.£

I wonder if he realizes statements like these are actually very harmful to the LGBT community. He’s (consciously or not) insinuating closeted gay people harbor pedophilic tendencies that can manifest if they can’t come out. Linking pedophilia or abuse of other kinds to homosexuality once again. That’s just... so wrong man.

I see what he's getting at. I think he's saying that if we had fostered an atmosphere of acceptance and tolerance, then people wouldn't have to repress themselves. Repression leads to bad shit.

The problem is that abusers often enjoy the abuse because its wrong, and not because they wish they were otherwise free to express their identity.

Ruth wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 5:24 pm
I wonder if he realizes statements like these are actually very harmful to the LGBT community. He’s (consciously or not) insinuating closeted gay people harbor pedophilic tendencies that can manifest if they can’t come out. Linking pedophilia or abuse of other kinds to homosexuality once again. That’s just... so wrong man.
i agree 100%, but it's probably also true if you're closeted and you don't have healthy outlets it will increase the chances exponentially you will abuse someone. So in that sense, it's less that he's wrong per se, it's more that he's drawing a harmful amount of emphasis on a fact that isn't the most important thing to be talking about right now.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 6:02 pm
i agree 100%, but it's probably also true if you're closeted and you don't have healthy outlets it will increase the chances exponentially you will abuse someone. So in that sense, it's less that he's wrong per se, it's more that he's drawing a harmful amount of emphasis on a fact that isn't the most important thing to be talking about right now.
Exactly. I don't know how he thought this was okay to say, let alone at this time when the real dialogue needs to be the awareness and condemnation of the abuse itself.

£

In this day and age, anything "clumsily expressed" is grounds for outrage.

Numbers wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 4:21 am
In this day and age, anything "clumsily expressed" is grounds for outrage.
At least McKellen acknowledged it immediately and clarified his thoughts. It's still hard to believe he didn't know about or help with Singer's abuse to me, though.