Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Artemis wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 10:28 am
Angus wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 11:21 pm
I have an unfound, silly conspiracy theory that R. Kelly was somehow responsible for Aaliyah's plane going down. I have zero evidence, lol. I just have a feeling that she was going to publicly accuse him of raping her when she was 12 (which happened), and he used his money to "make something happen." Again, it sounds totally ridiculous and I have nothing to back it up. I just think it's what went down.
It's certainly not the weirdest thing to have ever happened and it's one of the more tame conspiracy theories too.
I definitely think there are a ton examples of stuff like this happening in regards to sexual abuse or harrassment or "knowing too much" and needing to be silenced. Marilyn Monroe is the classic example. I think things are very fishy with Brittany Murphy's death too.

Master Virgo wrote:
January 18th, 2019, 4:16 am
Just when you thought this scumbag couldn't sink any lower.

Louis C.K. Jokes About Sexual Harassment In New Set, Appears To Have Learned Nothing Again

This is outrageous. It's as if Weinstein gets to come back and produces a comedy about a rapist film industry mogul. What the fuck?£
It's not a black-or-white thing, so anything I'm about to say is simply a stream of thoughts - as a huge Louis CK fan, I'm trying to make up my mind regarding this situation as we speak. So anything I say could be wrong in hindsight, I'm really not trying to defend or offend anyone, I simply want to think and talk about this.

So: I don't think the Weinstein comparison is fair. There must be different levels when it comes to crimes, even sexual crimes. It's clear that Weinstein held up a company and parts of the industry by employing threats and sexual blackmail, there's a great chance that he even raped people (I'm not entirely up-to-date on the details of his case), but overall his acts contributed, in a direct manner, to the oppression of the career chances of several actresses, and he forced actresses and models to perform various sexual acts under emotional pressure.

There's a level of crimes committed here that is not entirely comparable to what Louis CK did - once again, I'm not fully aware of the precise details of CK's case, but if I remember correctly, he masturbated in front of women, colleagues and/or fans, in an environment that was most likely created by his influence and power in the industry, so this is a sort of emotional pressure as well.

But it's really not the same thing as the thing with Weinstein, who is really a sexual predator almost, combined with an immense power over the careers of several people.

Whatever CK did is clearly a form of inappropriate sexual behavior, even assault, but there has to be a distinction - there is one in the eyes of the law anyway - between his acts and the acts of Weinstein.

Still, it's a different question regarding his set and the fact that he HAS a set and a place to perform. To disqualify CK on the basis of his jokes being tasteless does nothing for a comedian, because that's a comedian does all the time. But there is a sense in me that what CK is doing is wrong, and he should know better - I don't know how he apologized, if he even did apologize, I don't know if he even has a criminal case against him or not. I kind of agree that audiences could have the final judgement and just ignore what he's doing - that way, he will lose any sort of platform. If that is really the will of the people.

But I also understand that Louis CK has a direct influence on his fans through his comedy, and he could get away with this whole thing just because he says funny things. And that sounds dangerous. Maybe that's why I think he should just shut up for a few years, because he can make people laugh easily, and that can drown out a lot of things - in himself as well.

So, I don't know, I've always been a huge fan of his, his art really reaches me and influenced me in the past in a big way, so it's a little bit difficult to react to these. It's difficult to detach the art from the artist, but I'm trying, because whatever is happening now is wrong in many ways.

Ace
Bryan Singer Hit With Fresh Allegations of Sex With Underage Boys
https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/bryan ... ssion=true
Bryan Singer, the director of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” is facing new allegations published in the Atlantic on Wednesday that he engaged in sexual misconduct with underage boys.

In the report, four men allege that Singer had sexual encounters with them when they were teenagers in the late 1990s. One of the men, Victor Valdovinos, says he was a 13-year-old extra on the set of “Apt Pupil” when Singer fondled his genitals.

The three other accusers are identified in the story by pseudonyms. One, identified in the story as Andy, says that he had sex with Singer when he was 15. Another man, identified as Eric, says he was 17 when he began having sex with the director. Singer would have been 31 at the time. The third man, Ben, alleges that he and Singer had oral sex when he was 17 or 18.

“He would stick his hands down your pants without consent,” the man told the Atlantic. “He was predatory in that he would ply people with alcohol and drugs and then have sex with them.”

Singer’s attorney, Andrew Brettler, denied to the magazine that Singer had ever had sex with underage boys, and disputed various details of the accusers’ accounts.
https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article ... JhzMi5JAag

I really hope McKellen has not been part of his circle.£

Rami Malek is also trying to claim he was not aware of any allegations surrounding Bryan Singer:
https://www.nme.com/news/film/rami-male ... dy-2437005
”As far as I knew, I was considered before Bryan was even attached. So I had my head down preparing for this for about a year ahead of time, and I never really looked up,” Malek told The Los Angeles Times. “I didn’t know much about Bryan. I think that the allegations and things were, believe it or not, honestly something I was not aware of, and that is what it is. Who knows what happens with that … but I think somehow we found a way to persevere through everything that was thrown our way.”

“Perhaps that was Freddie himself doing it, because we wanted to make a product that was worthy of him,” he continued. “Who knows? I’m just proud that this cast and crew collectively raised their game and we depended on one another. It was a testament to everyone’s spirit and courage and skill. And one thing I will say about everyone — almost everyone — we never gave up. How about that?”
Yeah... I’m not sure about that. I guess it is possible, but I find that to be very unlikely. He seems to very strongly dislike Singer though, I’ll give him that. I think it’s also important to note that, a few years ago (pre-Bohemian Rhapsody and also pre-Mr. Robot) he was way more unknown than he is today, and was probably not in a position to walk away from a role he was being considered for earlier just because of the director. I dunno.

Wasn't one of the reasons Singer was removed from the project near the end was because he made unwanted advances on Malek?

Bacon wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 9:41 am
Wasn't one of the reasons Singer was removed from the project near the end was because he made unwanted advances on Malek?
It’s a rumor and as far as I’ve checked, most articles don’t mention anything like that and frame whatever happened on that set as Malek “clashing” with Singer due to him seemingly not giving any fucks and not showing up on set. But I’ve been told that too... So dunno if there’s any truth to that.

damn dude

looks like Singer is singing his last song

Master Virgo wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 9:14 am
I really hope McKellen has not been part of his circle.£
There’s really nothing to suggest he was at all.