Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 5:18 pm
Agreed, and in this case, Louis CK knew who his audience was, and that they would enjoy it. Comics know that not every joke/set will land (for a myriad of reasons) and that's not the issue. The issue comes when you tell them what they can and cannot say and threaten their careers for saying it.
No one in this thread did this.

Artemis wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 5:21 pm
CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
Agreed, and in this case, Louis CK knew who his audience was, and that they would enjoy it. Comics know that not every joke/set will land (for a myriad of reasons) and that's not the issue. The issue comes when you tell them what they can and cannot say and threaten their careers for saying it.
I didn't say they did. I'm talking about the greater internet outrage.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 5:23 pm
Artemis wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 5:21 pm
CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
I didn't say they did. I'm talking about the greater internet outrage.
Well in that case, CK is threatening his own career by having a weak poorly written stand up. He doesn't need the internet to do that.

So if a comedian has a set that isn't liked, their career should be over? If that was the case, there would be no standup comedians, because every single one of them has bombed, many times over.

It's the notion of silencing people we don't like/disagree with that irks me.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 5:28 pm
So if a comedian has a set that isn't liked, their career should be over? If that was the case, there would be no standup comedians, because every single one of them has bombed, many times over.

Everyone fails in artistic endeavors. This is a given. People try and try again. But to have a successful comedian who made jokes that landed plenty of times in the past regress this much is quite frankly embarrassing to see and awful.

If CK continues on this path, he will threaten his own career and isolate himself. His recent stand up is not good. The jokes are not good.

No one should be silenced, but that doesn't mean you can come into these threads and get angry at people who want to discuss CK's stand up. No one in this thread is trying to silence CK so why don't you take these complaints to platforms where people are actively trying to do that?

Artemis wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 5:34 pm
CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 5:28 pm

Everyone fails in artistic endeavors. This is a given. People try and try again. But to have a successful comedian who made jokes that landed plenty of times in the past digress this much is quite frankly embarrassing to see and awful.

If CK continues on this path, he will threaten his own career and isolate himself. His recent stand up is not good. The jokes are not good.

No one should be silenced, but that doesn't mean you can come into these threads and get angry at people who want to discuss CK's stand up. No one in this thread is trying to silence CK so why don't you take these complaints to platforms where people are actively trying to do that?
I'm fine with that, and I'll admit that I probably can get a bit too carried away with this kind of thing, but I just don't like to see speech/thought policed in such a way.

I don't know... I'll shut up now.
Although, I will recommend to anyone who cares to just go on Youtube and watch other comedians talk about this kind of thing. They say it a lot better than I ever could.

Cilogy wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 4:49 pm
dafox wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 6:10 am
You have to give Coolwhip a break since he's just another poor soul sucked into the counter-PC hysteria hysteria where clever marketers and pundits feed the average internet user's wounded masculinity by convincing him that vulnerable and hysterical college students are the biggest problem facing humanity and that ridiculing them is the most manly thing one can do. Defending asshole public figures at the expense of their victims is how they earn their stripes. Soon he'll be in the self help stage where some Canadian psychologist with a youtube account gives him standard therapy advice on the internet and cynically encourages him to become the ubermench with his lame 3rd rate readings of Nietzsche and Dostoevsky. Honestly its like watching a mouse jump into a cat's mouth, I had hoped that these people would have picked up on it already.

If they really cared about dealing with these unfortunately hysterical PC people then they would have realized that yelling mean things at them isn't the best way to get them to come around, even though they are indeed ridiculous. Ironically most of these PC people usually have far better reasons to be hysterical than these internet tough guys. Have fun upping your virility with Rogan's alpha brain peddling. Carlin made fun of this virile posturing and the saps that go for this kind of appeal all of the time. When he was a little kid his mother left his abusive father who was a marketer so naturally he had a lot of contempt for the bullies/saps that get taken in by this sort of manufactured "movement". https://youtu.be/s-clvDxl8qI?list=LLUOa ... lk3Q&t=231

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLdT95OhZTs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf7x3zW67zE

In case you didn't get the reference I'm making fun of Jordan Peterson fans.
fox

marry me
Help pay for my education and I'll be yours forever.

@Coolwhip

Don't defer to your youtube heros, if you can't explain something yourself then you probably don't know what you're talking about. Its alright to make fun of PC people so long as its productive and not just harassment. Take this for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlqyLSiCDjY

He didn't tell a hysterical group of people to kill themselves or that they're a waste of space or things like that, he just poked fun at their absurdity while playing entirely by their rules so they can't complain. He has had some questionable bits but this was a good example of what comedy is for. I agree that deplatforming is morally wrong and cowardly, go heckle the asshole, debate his fans, or if its a non-comedy thing you should try to win the argument in the Q&A portion. Sadly most of these PC people and wannabe "alpha males" don't know how to do that or are too afraid to try.

@Lelek
What Virgo said about "encouraging homophobia and sexism" is 100% true since you're by definition creating assholes. What a lot of internet cretins try to do is excuse plain harassment with "it's just a joke", which is just a way of freeing yourself from the responsibility of what you actually said/meant. Where I draw the line is if something can be done about some undesirable behavior. You can mock a gay person for being too flamboyant or whatever but viciously antagonizing the most benign things about their immutable nature isn't "comedy" anymore. I'm ok with fat jokes since the person can do something about it and is to some extent responsible for their condition but if you start harassing someone e.g. "go kill yourself" to someone who has a really hard life then you're just being an asshole and not indulging in comedy.

dafox wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 12:41 am
@Lelek
What Virgo said about "encouraging homophobia and sexism" is 100% true since you're by definition creating assholes. What a lot of internet cretins try to do is excuse plain harassment with "it's just a joke", which is just a way of freeing yourself from the responsibility of what you actually said/meant. Where I draw the line is if something can be done about some undesirable behavior. You can mock a gay person for being too flamboyant or whatever but viciously antagonizing the most benign things about their immutable nature isn't "comedy" anymore. I'm ok with fat jokes since the person can do something about it and is to some extent responsible for their condition but if you start harassing someone e.g. "go kill yourself" to someone who has a really hard life then you're just being an asshole and not indulging in comedy.
Context is important. That's when you have to see the difference between dark comedy and harassing. Sometimes it can be a thin line but I think dark comedy is when you don't really mean the things you say. It's for shock value. I get that telling people to kill themselves is not comedy... unless it's said in a clearly comedic tone and delivery or in exaggeration. Bill Burr's standup about how we should kill all people on cruise ships for instance. Obviously it's an exaggeration and it's obviously a joke. I get that it's sometimes difficult to see the difference when it comes to the same jokes about minorities but when it's a professional comedian, I'm usually going to give him the benefit of a doubt on that. When it's a random guy online, when you don't hear the tone and delivery on it, that's almost impossible to say whether they're joking or not and that's when they're words can be really dangerous and/or harmful. Making jokes like that in writing can get you in a lot of trouble. James Gun found out about it the hard way. It's not funny when you don't HEAR the way the person says it. His tweets came out really creepy instead of funny, even though the latter was probably his intention.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 5:39 pm
I don't know... I'll shut up now.
I feel like I do that a lot on this forum, but only when I get a creeping sense that I'm using fallacies to support my argument or I'm just dead wrong and I'm too embarrassed to admit it.

Has anyone seen Surviving R. Kelly yet? That was a rough watch. I wanted to crawl out of my skin. I don’t have the heart to continue watching any of the upcoming episodes, each episode gets more disturbing. All the adults who enabled this man to carry on with the abuse and did nothing to protect those kids are monsters too. R. Kelly needs to be locked up immediately and his penis indefinitely deflated.