Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
I mean, considering how male-gazey BITWC was, I'm not shocked.

Cilogy wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 11:14 am
I haven't seen BITWC yet because Lea Seydoux talked about being uncomfortable with some of the scenes. If she's uncomfortable with some aspects of the film, then I don't really have an interest in supporting that. Ya feel me?

Yeah

It was like my favorite film of that year at the time because of its character study and how it's a meditation on all the different subtle stages of a relationship. That all still holds up.

But looking back, the sex scenes are absolutely comical and it's clear that was not a comfortable experience for the actresses.

Artemis wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 11:41 am
Cilogy wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 11:14 am
I haven't seen BITWC yet because Lea Seydoux talked about being uncomfortable with some of the scenes. If she's uncomfortable with some aspects of the film, then I don't really have an interest in supporting that. Ya feel me?
Same for me

Also why I still haven't finished watching Last Tango in Paris.

Except two absolutely terrific performances from the two leads, you haven't really missed much.£

Well, at least that's comforting. Maria Schneider had that radiant presence. I have to see more of her work.

Master Virgo wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 12:59 pm
Except two absolutely terrific performances from the two leads, you haven't really missed much.£
well, the two performances were 95% of the movie

we can acknowledge kechiche is a total ween without retroactively knocking the film

No, I never liked it to begin with. It's practically Male Gaze: The Movie. It's really what men wants to see in a lesbian movie. The Handmaiden or Carol are on the other hand both the works of real masters who actually have a clue of what they are doing.£

Neil deGrasse Tyson Under Investigation at Fox, Nat Geo Following Sexual Misconduct Accusations
Fox and National Geographic are investigating “Cosmos” host Neil deGrasse Tyson after three women accused the celebrity astrophysicist of sexual misconduct, including rape in one instance.

Tyson did not immediately respond to requests from TheWrap for comment Friday.

On Nov. 8, Patheos published an interview with Tchiya Amet, who says Tyson drugged and raped her in 1984 when they were both grad students. On Thursday, two more women came forward with accusations in Patheos: Dr. Katelyn N. Allers, an associate professor of physics and astronomy at Bucknell University who says she was “felt up” by Tyson at a party in 2009, and his former assistant Ashley Watson, who said she quit her job because of Tyson’s sexual advances.

“The credo at the heart of ‘Cosmos’ is to follow the evidence wherever it leads. The producers of ‘Cosmos’ can do no less in this situation. We are committed to a thorough investigation of this matter and to act accordingly as soon as it is concluded,” the producers of the series said in a statement.

“We have only just become aware of the recent allegations regarding Neil deGrasse Tyson. We take these matters very seriously and we are reviewing the recent reports,” Fox Broadcasting Company and National Geographic said in a statement.

A second iteration of “Cosmos” was set to premiere in early 2019.

ugh

I mean, without getting into a long-ass philosophical and intellectually exploration of this, again, this speaks to a larger narrative about how the nature of sexuality is changing, at least socially, especially after #MeToo.

So naturally a lot of people who we may respect or people who we'd never associate with bad behavior turn out to be people who have behaved badly. Not just celebrities, but our grandfathers, fathers, brothers, and ourselves.

Why? Because they're predators? No, rather, it's about how people are conditioned to behave or what is known to be acceptable. More specifically, what boys grow up to believe is normal behavior when they become men. Well, it is normal because it's the norm, but norms are largely dictated by who is in power, and since forever it's been men.

So, honestly whenever this shit happens, I look at it less like "my heroes are falling from grace" and rather "social mores are shifting". I guess, at least that's my way of rationalizing the fact that someone I admire may have behaved badly.

Fuck, sorry, I sound like RIFA.