Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Uhhhhh in Call Me By Your Name, we do see Elio not being able to really cope with what happens when the relationship ends because of the fact he is so young and his brain is not really that developed enough.
Then at the end of the film he breaks down when Oliver tells him he's getting married. Elio wanted this love to outlast the summer. He never really considered what would happen when Oliver would leave. This is exactly how a teenager thinks. They think for the moment.
Is CMBYN dreamy? Yes but the film does not stray away from reality at all.

Hopefully this one in a thousand case does not distract the movement from the more immediate problem which still is patriarchy. "It's not about gender, it's about power" is not an inherently incorrect statement, but nonetheless has no value in the current climate other than to veer away the attention from the roots.

There will always be perverts and sex offenders from both genders I expect, but that is not where the focus should be placed right now. There is something more diabolical going on. There is a social disease that has been spreading for many many years. We are facing a misguided confused masculine culture that has no understanding of the opposite gender nor any desire to ever reach there. That's the bigger anomally and that's what needs to be cured first. Boys growing up with all sorts of fallacious mentalities, being influenced by their elders into all the wrong directions.

Of course the power imbalance between the two genders also exist and is another cause for all of this. But dealing with that won't be nearly enough to bring down the significantly higher number of sexual assaults committed by men compared to women.£

But the root is about power.

I mean you could definitely argue that some men who haven't fully developed or dont have an awareness of their insecurity are probably more drawn to "power-seeking" behavior. But we clearly see this in women too.

So the issue does become gendered when we consider how men and women learn about power. But the issues of patriarchy are rooted in it.

TMZ has published photo of Asia Argento and Jimmy Bennett in bed together.

Forum Pro
Law
BlairCo wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 6:25 pm
TMZ has published photo of Asia Argento and Jimmy Bennett in bed together.
But, but she denied it..

@Cilogy No, in a perfectly balanced world where women and men are treated equally we sure can have a discussion about whether or not the root is just power, but in a world infested by patriarchy, the source that you should go after is what creates the power imbalance and what furthers and norishes it. There might be female individuals who due to having more power in certain situations, get to abuse another human being. That is of course no less horrifying from a moral standpoint, but it does not hold an equal place in what the movement should focus on fighting in our world.

You can't create a movement against murder in general. Because it's unsystematic and random and committed by all sorts of different people. But you can make a movement against racist cops, because then it's about the mentality of a certain community. There are stuff to be done there. By raising awareness and drawing attention to it you can control and defeat that.

Long story short, there is no sexual harassment culture among women towards men. But the other way around is true, so that one's a social problem and it requires a movement to fight it. Let's start thinking about erasing the gender from this discussion when the true equality has been achieved, not before.£

Master Virgo wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 6:46 pm
@Cilogy No, in a perfectly balanced world where women and men are treated equally we sure can have a discussion about whether or not the root is just power, but in a world infested by patriarchy, the source that you should go after is what creates the power imbalance and what furthers and norishes it. There might be female individuals who due to having more power in certain situations, get to abuse another human being. That is of course no less horrifying from a moral standpoint, but it does not hold an equal place in what the movement should focus on fighting in our world.

You can't create a movement against murder in general. Because it's unsystematic and random and committed by all sorts of different people. But you can make a movement against racist cops, because then it's about the mentality of a certain community. There are stuff to be done there. By raising awareness and drawing attention to it you can control and defeat that.

Long story short, there is no sexual harassment culture among women towards men. But the other way around is true, so that one's a social problem and it requires a movement to fight it. Let's start thinking about erasing the gender from this discussion when the true equality has been achieved, not before.£
I disagree with that. It may not as destructive, nor as widespread - or even as often acknowledged - but it's there. This is anecdotal, but I've experienced it first hand, so that's how I know.

I mean if we want equality we also gotta treat the perpetrators equally. No doubt it seems like the significant majority of sexual harassment is done by males. But by focusing on patriarchy as the main cause, I think we'd be in danger of making something that's already gender-politicize even more so. I.e., sexists call it "reverse racism", racists have an equivalent "reverse sexism."

He'll, I'd argue it's probably even more important that we stamp out Argento's shit, I mean if only for the sake of the movement. The hypocrisy is almost worse because then it just goes back to a feedback loop of excusing more bad behavior later on.

If that makes sense ... not that I often do.

Yeah her allegations toward Weinstein can still be valid, but she was incredibly hypocritical, not to mention selfish in propping yourself as when of those to spearhead this movement. She knowingly paid off her accuser, and then knowingly lies and gets get caught with proof. She has to be called out on this.

French director Abdellatif Kechiche, who won the Palme D’or for Blue Is The Warmest Color, is the latest high-profile film name to be accused of sexual assault. Kechiche “categorically denies” the charges, according to his lawyer.

Kechiche, who also directed Black Venus, has been accused by a young actress of sexual assault at a dinner party in Paris in June.

The actress, who has not been named, filed a complaint with French police on October 6 but the matter has only just been revealed publicly.

A preliminary investigation has been opened by the 2nd District Judicial police in Paris. The incident is reported to have happened in an apartment located in the 20th Arrondissement in Paris, the home of a mutual friend of the director and the actress.
https://deadline.com/2018/10/blue-is-th ... 92909/amp/