Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
I'm putting on my conspiracy tinfoil hat on here. Does anybody this think this might of been a story planted by Weinstein?

the story doesn't absolve weinstein

And he also planted the hush money, along with the story? :roll:

m4st4 wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 3:29 pm
Artemis wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 3:25 pm
The reason why people were okay with Call Me By Your Name is because the story provided a lot of context. Like we knew Oliver wasn't abusing Elio and we knew that Oliver didn't have power over Elio.

But with this case....yeah...Argento is in the wrong honestly. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if the genders were switched.
Yeah, power play was very important there, since none had emotional control over the other, they were equals. Not to mention it was a story from the late 80s. Things change every decade, my late grandfather married my grandmother when she was 16 or something. That was 60 years ago.🕷️
We know the context because we were presented with a godlike view into a fictional narrative. We don't know and will never know the full context of any real-life relationship, except for two, very biased narratives, which later may or may not be completely opposed.

So throwing stones at a relationship between a much younger and much older person (I'm not talking about specifically Asia's case right now but what Ruth and Vader said about all these sort of relationships being some sort of "power inequality" or "problematic"), and then enjoying a film like Call Me by Your Name is extremely hypocritical and disingenuous.

Either you're ok with such a relationship on a conceptual level or you're not and, much like Shauner, you shouldn't condone such actions. At least he was honest with his convictions.

Oh is that so mate, calling us hypocrites now? Dude, give me a break will ya. Not stepping into that narrative of yours.🕷️

Cilogy wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 6:51 pm

oh look my ... vacation map ... sorry
I mean it's not just Europe, plenty of states over there also have legislated 17 or even 16 as the age of consent.

£

m4st4 wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 8:55 am
Oh is that so mate, calling us hypocrites now? Dude, give me a break will ya. Not stepping into that narrative of yours.🕷️
I'm just telling you how it looks like with some perspective. How else would you call such "pick and choose" morals?

LelekPL wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 2:54 am
So throwing stones at a relationship between a much younger and much older person (I'm not talking about specifically Asia's case right now but what Ruth and Vader said about all these sort of relationships being some sort of "power inequality" or "problematic"), and then enjoying a film like Call Me by Your Name is extremely hypocritical and disingenuous.
i'm against cannibalism but i like hannibal

now what

Argento has denied it.£

Pratham wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 12:46 pm
LelekPL wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 2:54 am
i'm against cannibalism but i like hannibal

now what

I phrased it wrong. "Enjoying a romance like in Call Me by Your Name" was what I meant.

In Hannibal you clearly don't emphatize with Hannibal. You watch it because of the interest in the deranged and the wicked. But let's not conflate a romance which is clearly framed as positive within the narrative of the film with a fictional take on a cannibal.