Mandalay Bay shooting (50 confirmed dead)

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

poplar wrote:
Bacon wrote:This is the deadliest shooting in US history and people still want to act like we don't need more gun control.
:gonf: :gonf: :gonf:
This is the source of all the problems.
:lol:
no one takes you seriously
Last edited by Bacon on October 2nd, 2017, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My sister was there. She texted my mom last night when lying on the ground, bullets flying amok and said: "I love you so so much. Thanks for everything."

She is safe. Her boyfriend and four other friends who were there are safe. They are obviously not okay though, however. They are now in Los Angeles as of this morning.

I am traumatized, and I just want to hold my [23-year-old] baby sister.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:My sister was there. She texted my mom last night when lying on the ground, bullets flying amok and said: "I love you so so much. Thanks for everything."

She is safe. Her boyfriend and four other friends who were there are safe. They are obviously not okay though, however. They are now in Los Angeles as of this morning.

Jesus... prayers your way, man - glad to hear your sister is okay

i just can’t understand the capacity people can have for hate and violence

Bacon wrote:
poplar wrote:
Bacon wrote:This is the deadliest shooting in US history and people still want to act like we don't need more gun control.
:gonf: :gonf: :gonf:
This is the source of all the problems.
:lol:
no one takes you seriously
No one from you. And that's horrible. The world is falling apart but you can't see the reason why. But ok, I'm just another idiot from backward Poland.

For Muffin, thank God and I wish you all will soon live fully the same as before.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:My sister was there. She texted my mom last night when lying on the ground, bullets flying amok and said: "I love you so so much. Thanks for everything."

I'm glad they're safe physically but man, that must have been horrible. :(

Jeez. I'm glad they're safe

I am from Australia. In 1996, a man walked into a cafe at Tasmania's most popular tourist destination, opened fire on everybody in the cafe, resulting in the death of 35 people and 23 wounded. Immediately afterwards, Prime Minister John Howard introduced strict gunlaws such as the restriction of private ownership of high capacity semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns as well as introducing uniform firearms licensing. The massacre occurred in a place called Port Arthur.

If the death of 35 people was enough to introduce stricter gunlaws, how come the instance of 50 people killed is classified as the "wrong time" to be talking about the gun control debate? That is absolutely fucking disgusting and it confirms the disdainful nature of the US government in regards to their own citizens.

BlairCo wrote:If the death of 35 people was enough to introduce stricter gunlaws, how come the instance of 50 people killed is classified as the "wrong time" to be talking about the gun control debate? That is absolutely fucking disgusting and it confirms the disdainful nature of the US government in regards to their own citizens.
The time is to focus on the victims, and the investigation itself.

If they don't have a conversation after this, that is a problem.

Note that I really don't to get political since I'm not political-minded, but I'm also in the camp (remember, my sister was actually in the midst of it) that gun laws won't stop people from doing what they need or have to do. Maybe he obtains them illegally next time, maybe he uses the ammonium nitrate in his car as an alternative, who knows what. I believe motivations supersede methods, always. Prohibition didn't work in this country, a safety net on the Golden Gate Bridge won't have people say, "Welp, guess I won't commit suicide anymore," and gun prevention control is just a little hurdle for some of these people.

I am not right-winged, I don't own a gun, and they scare the crap out of me with whom can be in possession of such weapons. Furthermore, I think this topic should definitely have its time and place, and these items should be extremely heavily considered, if not put into action (hoping that something will result from it). But I agree that within 24 hours of the incident, the topic of conversation should not be focused there. There still have to be more considerations on heightening security in places as well as anything else. This can happen in so many ways, not just with guns. All items have to be considered.

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone, by the way.

My mom also told me that she found out one of her co-worker's friends was killed in the shooting. She died at the hospital. If my mom knows, I'll find out which victim it was when I get back home.