Mandalay Bay shooting (50 confirmed dead)

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Batfan175 wrote:Right-wing talking points are always: "these dirty libs are coming for your guns", "why are they politicising this right now", "that guy is not a terrorist, he's just mentally ill". Watch them make these points, likely in that order. It's just a big distraction to avoid taking on the gun manufacturers and the NRA that have so much political influence through lobbying and campaign donations. Lack of proper gun control legislation is the problem and if anyone says something different they are either ignorant or purposefully trying to divert attention from the root cause of the problem. They know that if people don't talk about gun control now after a tragedy like this there won't be any action taken on this issue. The right-wing has done an excellent job of normalising the fact that these mass shootings happen every single day. 'There's nothing we can do, just send your thoughts and prayers'. They're Orwellian goons who don't care about other people.
The guy IS a terrorist, even if some mental illness is at play since how else could you come up with something so vile? But in general I dislike how easily such things are hooked onto "mental illness", whereas it's scientifically proven mentally ill people are more prone to becoming victims, not perpetrators of violence. Especially if the perp is a white male. You don't have to have a political or religious agenda to be a terrorist.

As for the victims, it seems a bit ironic to say it's time to focus on them (which I agree), since last I checked, the media now seems to be the most busy plastering the killer's face all over their pages. Amazing. /s

Ruth wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:As for the victims, it seems a bit ironic to say it's time to focus on them (which I agree), since last I checked, the media now seems to be the most busy plastering the killer's face all over their pages. Amazing. /s
Don't confuse media exposure with focus and attention. Ratings come at the forefront for these stations, and audiences will turn away if that's the only item on the agenda.

It does not mean they do not care (neither the station nor the audience), it means their situation has closure and is purely an act of unfortunate circumstance. There is still a lot of mystery behind the killer's motives, and everything that happens we want to prevent any copycats. Should we know his name? Once, but not plastered always.

Now, as I say this I just saw an entire segment focused on some the victims. Many aren't spoken of, because they only display what the families provide for them. Many of the families would prefer to not disclose too much at this time and keep their situation internal or local.

Half of the exposure on television right now is dedicated to the developing story of the killer and the situation, then the other half is devoted to literally everything else about this, including fatal and wounded victims, eyewitness accounts, heroes in play on that day, questions and answers regarding the chaos and confusion, etc. They keep this on loop for 96 hours straight while they can.

There is an incredible focus on the victims when and where the families determine that to be present, and now is the time to focus on that. Putting an emphasis on gun control right now is stirring away from the natural order or progression. Essentially, the world's timeline is a freeway and there is bumper-to-bumper traffic because of an accident on the side of the road, and people nearby an exit are flashing signs saying to reduce pollution by buying hybrid cars.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote: Note that I really don't to get political since I'm not political-minded, but I'm also in the camp (remember, my sister was actually in the midst of it) that gun laws won't stop people from doing what they need or have to do. Maybe he obtains them illegally next time, maybe he uses the ammonium nitrate in his car as an alternative, who knows what. I believe motivations supersede methods, always. Prohibition didn't work in this country, a safety net on the Golden Gate Bridge won't have people say, "Welp, guess I won't commit suicide anymore," and gun prevention control is just a little hurdle for some of these people.
when faced with hardships i look to parody news sites for guidance

http://thehardtimes.net/hardstyle/witho ... 2nd-floor/

http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way- ... this-36131

First things first, RIP everyone who lost their life because of this tool.

So I saw this from 2 different people on Facebook, a little bit ago it was, "Protest police brutality!" and over the past 2 days they've each pointed out in newer posts that, "Only police should have guns!"

....Ummmmmmmmmm.....

Not really contradictory. Police shooting unarmed people and getting away with it is still wrong, but that doesn't mean literally every individual cop is bad. The complaints are addressed at how police departments systematically cover up and excuse bad conduct (like how in half of police shooting cameras body cameras just happen to be conveniently off at the time).

I don't think the USA is ever going to get rid of the second amendment. I mean, if dead children are not going to change it, why would it now? Hell it's insane that they didn't even tried to change it after the first mass shooting. I already feel sorry for the next people who will be shot since it is inevitable that it is going to happen again if nothing is done about it.

Nomis wrote:I don't think the USA is ever going to get rid of the second amendment. I mean, if dead children are not going to change it, why would it now? Hell it's insane that they didn't even tried to change it after the first mass shooting. I already feel sorry for the next people who will be shot since it is inevitable that it is going to happen again if nothing is done about it.
They will never get rid of the second amendment, though they might find that it is antiquated and needs updating. Currently the background checks contain optional areas, there are no limits to how many guns can be bought, semi-automatic weapons are permissible, and some items can be had without any paper trail. They will never get rid of the nation's want and right to have guns, though. One party would simply never allow that to happen.

Oh, and I also wanted to mention to everyone...
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:My mom also told me that she found out one of her co-worker's friends was killed in the shooting. She died at the hospital. If my mom knows, I'll find out which victim it was when I get back home.
Her name was Michelle Vo.