Charlottesville Thread

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
BlairCo wrote:
“My daughter had a friend named Max. She told me ‘Fight Club’ is his favorite movie, I told her never to talk to Max again.”
- David Fincher
That statement is just wrong. The dude can like a movie. Judging a person's behavior or personality completely based off their favorite movie is the exact same kind of idiotic, shallow ignorance that are causing these issues in the same place.

Ridiculous.

What Fincher is saying is that young men often misinterpret the movie and take the movie at face value. They don't realize that the film is a critique on toxic masculinity and that you are supposed to hate Tyler, not look up to him. Fischer directed the movie, he has spoken to the fans, I'm sure he is well aware that teenage boys don't interpret the movie the way he meant for it to be interpreted and they don't think too deeply about the philosophy. If Fincher can spare his daughter from being around dudes like that, then he should. I'm guessing he would like his daughter to be with a man that critically examines the media he is presented with and who can understand the director's message. From what Fincher has seen when discussing this film with fans, he most likely dislikes a lot of the fans of fight club.

FUCK OFF NAZIS

akv1984 wrote:What Fincher is saying is that young men often misinterpret the movie and take the movie at face value. They don't realize that the film is a critique on toxic masculinity and that you are supposed to hate Tyler, not look up to him. Fischer directed the movie, he has spoken to the fans, I'm sure he is well aware that teenage boys don't interpret the movie the way he meant for it to be interpreted and they don't think too deeply about the philosophy. If Fincher can spare his daughter from being around dudes like that, then he should. I'm guessing he would like his daughter to be with a man that critically examines the media he is presented with and who can understand the director's message. From what Fincher has seen when discussing this film with fans, he most likely dislikes a lot of the fans of fight club.
I get that and that's what he probably feels but that statement does not really reflect this. It's much more of a blanket statement.

Bacon wrote:
BlairCo wrote:
“My daughter had a friend named Max. She told me ‘Fight Club’ is his favorite movie, I told her never to talk to Max again.”
- David Fincher
That statement is just wrong. The dude can like a movie. Judging a person's behavior or personality completely based off their favorite movie is the exact same kind of idiotic, shallow ignorance that are causing these issues in the same place.

Ridiculous.
Now, I'm not sure if there was even a dude named Max that Fincher's daughter dated. The point Fincher is trying to make is that men who see his movie as a literal and serious social commentary on sensitive, snowflakey, fragile men who need to chase something in order to feel important with themselves are the kind of men who don't deserve to have a woman in their life.

What do I see when I look at the news about these protests? I see an army of men resorting to violence, the same way cavemen resort to violence when somebody wouldn't share a meal. I see a group of fragile men resent society because a black man did better during a job interview than they did. I have no idea what these men are trying to reclaim that hasn't already been claimed. The "BlackLivesMatter" narrative at the very least made some semblance of sense, but I don't understand the narrative behind these riots one bit.

“I came to this march for the message that white European culture has a right to be here just like every other culture,” Cvjetanovic opined.
Meanwhile, actual Europeans be like
Cvjetanovic added: “As a white nationalist, I care for all people. We all deserve a future for our children and for our culture. White nationalists aren’t all hateful; we just want to preserve what we have.”

Can't believe I almost took a job in the States lmao

What a bunch of slack jawed morons smh
Last edited by Master Virgo on August 14th, 2017, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double posting

There is no denying that plenty of people feel attracted towards movies like Fight Club or The Dark Knight for all the wrong reasons. Just like how a lot of people root for the villainous characters in Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. There is nothing horrifying about that though. People subconsciously find pleasure in watching the embodiment of their own inner demons when there is no consequence. I personally wouldn't judge anyone based on that. Then again there is nothing wrong with being cautious.£

^There's one thing to be entertained or even root for the bad guys in movies when they're charismatic, well-written/portrayed or just cool, yadda yadda yadda. There's another thing to actually look up to them and believe their views align with yours or teach you about how the world/life/x or y thing should really be.

Fight Club is a really cool movie, but it's also pretty notorious for inspiring some edgy teenage wannabes into thinking being like Tyler Durden is a great idea and then causing them to go out to do something stupid

If anything I'm usually more suspicious about people who find pleasure in low quality movies like Hustle or such. I know I have Fight Club, Taxi Driver, The Dark Knight and A Clockwork Orange all among my top 20 favourite movies and I'm definitely no anarchist. I love The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music and Miyazaki too. We shouldn't really let people like James Holmes or John Hinckley Jr. affect our impression of different fandom groups.£