Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

Dodd have you seen my link of Gyllenhaal singing?

Dodd wrote:Automation and artificial intelligence has been a topic of interest recently in the tech community in terms of the impact on the job market and our future. Thought this could be an interesting subject to discuss. AI will change the future landscape, we are already seeing disruption in autonomous vehicles and data mining. What are your thoughts on machine learning? Do you see this as an area for the betterment of human advancement, or a threat for our well being?

I think Hawking summed up the economic implications accurately and straightforwardly in an ask me anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/commen ... s/cvsdmkv/
If machines produce everything we need, the outcome will depend on how things are distributed. Everyone can enjoy a life of luxurious leisure if the machine-produced wealth is shared, or most people can end up miserably poor if the machine-owners successfully lobby against wealth redistribution. So far, the trend seems to be toward the second option, with technology driving ever-increasing inequality.
I think the "moral" question of redistributing the value of this tool is just as straightforward. Intellectual property rights, in terms of profit, for something like this are ridiculous. The people that will eventually break through and invent this stuff will have stood on the shoulders of countless other researchers, very few of them will get credit only in the form of footnotes, nothing at all for everyone else who made meaningful contributions. The real spoils go to the researchers' employers anyway. Obviously the creators should be honored and given some compensation, definitely more than the executives who work above them but an accomplishment like this should be its own reward.

To give them majority authorship would be absurd but if the present legal system will continue to have its way then they'll have financial "ownership" of this invention. These stupid Social Network type cases happen all of the time, most recently with CRISPR.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/scie ... atent.html

If I had that kind of money I'd breed an army of Siberian Tigers to fight off the A.I. take over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlzoUw0 ... aQE7pxxW3h

Making good progress, but not fast enough for my taste.

dodd's only hyped about automation because he won't have to rely on plebs to do work for him.