Terrorism Discussion Thread

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
An attack in France, a priest was killed while hostage to two attackers who stormed into a church during mass.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36892785

At this point I don't know if reporting every attack is a good idea. They're just soo many, on the other hand my original intention was to create a more extensive list of what happens.

a doctor was shot somewhere near my university. attacker (a patient) commited suicide afterwards. doctor died just a little while ago

prince0gotham wrote:I'm already seeing Reuters and The Sun and mad Brexiters on twitter through "syrian refugee" around.

EDIT: Seems they are confirming the refugee claim.
Lmao

There are so many terrorist attacks that we need a thread for it. Nice.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/te ... ny-france/

And apparently, the French police have covered up some gruesome details concerning the attack in Paris (Bataclan):
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... cluded-gr/
http://nypost.com/2016/07/15/horrifying ... -revealed/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... llers.html

Man driving van kills 10 in Toronto.

So during the biggest charity event in Poland, the mayor of Gdańsk, one of Poland's largest cities, has been stabbed and murdered on stage by a deranged lunatic.

It's such a sad moment in Poland. It's probably the most positive day of sharing and giving in this country. Last year they've gathered over a hundred million zlotych to help others and they've been doing so for the last 27 years. And now this crazy maniac with a knife happens and people, instead of mourning are once again arguing over political bullshit.

The right is talking shit about the founder of the foundation, Jurek Owsiak, who has been one of Poland's greatest philanthropists in this country's history. I'm still amazed that with the far right government that we have here, that really hates this man and his cause, these people still believe in nonsense that he's doing all this charity for his own gain. Had he done something illegal, police would be knocking on his door immediately. The sheer fact that he has been able to do this for so many years and grow in this political climate is proof enough that the guy is innocent and should be applauded.

And then there are people who accuse the lack of protection at a charity event. I'm sorry, but the foundation works on a nationwide level. They gather money in schools, public places. This tragedy could have happened anywhere and there's no need to be overly paranoid about safety. I was a volunteer this year in my home town and we had no security because this is not a political event. We were there to help others. Sometimes you just can't stop a madman with a knife. I really hope this won't cause anti-terrorist agencies to come to rallies next year. They were, are and will be areas of peace and sharing.

You probably don't care around here... but in my home country this has been a tragic day.

I do care, and I’m sending my condolences. The last time I heard about this (relatively soon after it had happened), he was still alive and I was hoping he’d pull through. I can’t comprehend why any of this ever has to happen. I’m hoping the cause of the charity/event won’t be tainted by attempts to tarnish its reputation by far rightists, and this tragic event weaponized by them to push their shitty agendas.

Thanks for the concern. Thankfully most people have been sending condolences to the family and at least the politicians have been united in doing so. Of course this didn’t stop despicable far-right comments saying that he should have been killed (the president was in the opposition of the far right government). But my social media algorithms have successfully muted these sort of responses thus far. At least I know most of my friends are fairly united. Maybe we’re united in sadness but at least we have that.

LelekPL wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 1:33 pm
Thanks for the concern. Thankfully most people have been sending condolences to the family and at least the politicians have been united in doing so. Of course this didn’t stop despicable far-right comments saying that he should have been killed (the president was in the opposition of the far right government). But my social media algorithms have successfully muted these sort of responses thus far. At least I know most of my friends are fairly united. Maybe we’re united in sadness but at least we have that.
Such disgusting comments are abomination, but do not blame governent. Law and Justice members acted amazing during the night, and stood united and prayed for Adamowicz life. Police on Minister order arrested few people who spread hatred on social media. Adamowicz is not my cup of tea, but Jesus, no one deserve to be murdered like that. It is a sad day. Hope this death will not be used in politics by both sides, and polish political temperature will lower.
Last edited by poplar on January 14th, 2019, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like I said, the politicians have been surprisingly civil thus far. Even from the usually vitriolic Law and Justice government (except for a few rotten apples on twitter).

It's the extremists who pushed Jurek Owsiak to resign from the foundation today, which is another sad news from today. Hopefully, he'll have a change of heart soon or he'll find a suitable substitution.

Also, poplar, in English they don't say "not from my fairy tale". The phrase you wanted to use - "Nie z mojej bajki" - means "not my cup of tea".

LelekPL wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 4:51 pm
Like I said, the politicians have been surprisingly civil thus far. Even from the usually vitriolic Law and Justice government (except for a few rotten apples on twitter).

It's the extremists who pushed Jurek Owsiak to resign from the foundation today, which is another sad news from today. Hopefully, he'll have a change of heart soon or he'll find a suitable substitution.

Also, poplar, in English they don't say "not from my fairy tale". The phrase you wanted to use - "Nie z mojej bajki" - means "not my cup of tea".
Thanks for correction.