Germanwings plane crashes in French Alps

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Man, the Germanwings crash in the French Alps is trully awful. :cry: There are no words.....

RIP to all the deceased people.

theseeker9175 wrote:Man, the Germanwings crash in the French Alps is trully awful. :cry: There are no words.....

Yeah, made even more tragic that a lot of the passengers were young students coming back home from a trip. :(

Dream-Xtractor wrote:
theseeker9175 wrote:Man, the Germanwings crash in the French Alps is trully awful. :cry: There are no words.....

Yeah, made even more tragic that a lot of the passengers were young students coming back home from a trip. :(
There were also two babies onboard (and one of them was with his/her father and mother, which turned out that the latter was a opera singer)..... Shit. There were also 3 Mexicans on board, apart of Argentinean, Australian, Colombian, Turkish, Dutch, Croatian, Belgian, Japanese, Dane, Moroccan and British people..... this is a sad day....

At least one of the black boxes was recovered quickly. I hope we can know soon what happened....

theseeker9175 wrote:
Dream-Xtractor wrote:

There were also two babies onboard (and one of them was with his/her father and mother, which turned out that the latter was a opera singer)..... Shit. There were also 3 Mexicans on board, apart of Argentinean, Australian, Colombian, Turkish, Dutch, Croatian, Belgian, Japanese, Dane, Moroccan and British people..... this is a sad day....

At least one of the black boxes was recovered quickly. I hope we can know soon what happened....
It's a weird case......it reached it's cruising altitude of 38,000 feet as per normal. Yet a few minutes later, it started to descend at an alarming rate and there was no distress signal either. The wreckage they found was in pieces, and by pieces I mean pieces no larger than a small car. The plane simply disintegrated.

Really awful stuff.

Call me a paranoid fucker, but regardless of the actual statistics I will do everything in my power to not ever board on a plane. That's like one of the most terrifyingly violent ways you can die, and there is not a damn thing you can do about your demise. At least in a car (if I'm driving) I can have a chance of surviving by swerving or braking or some shit. You are completely powerless in a giant metal tube 30,000 feet above the Earth.

ChristNolan wrote:Call me a paranoid fucker, but regardless of the actual statistics I will do everything in my power to not ever board on a plane. That's like one of the most terrifyingly violent ways you can die, and there is not a damn thing you can do about your demise. At least in a car (if I'm driving) I can have a chance of surviving by swerving or braking or some shit. You are completely powerless in a giant metal tube 30,000 feet above the Earth.
You've never flown on a plane?

Nope, I don't trust them.

I mean, planes are safer than ever nowadays. These things just happen unfortunately, but it's very rare. There's about 100,000 flights per day.

Dream-Xtractor wrote:I mean, planes are safer than ever nowadays. These things just happen unfortunately, but it's very rare. There's about 100,000 flights per day.
Like I said, I know statistically it is safe. It's just a personal thing. They give me the willies.

Dream-Xtractor wrote:
It's a weird case......it reached it's cruising altitude of 38,000 feet as per normal. Yet a few minutes later, it started to descend at an alarming rate and there was no distress signal either. The wreckage they found was in pieces, and by pieces I mean pieces no larger than a small car. The plane simply disintegrated.

Really awful stuff.
Mmmm, from what I've read (I like to read about these topics, but I'm not an expert at all) the descend itself wasn't that alarming since it could have been controlled, but no distress call? Also, isn't the flight path a little bit weird?

And about the wreckage.... yeah, it's shocking to see the pictures.....
Awful stuff indeed.
ChristNolan wrote:Call me a paranoid fucker, but regardless of the actual statistics I will do everything in my power to not ever board on a plane. That's like one of the most terrifyingly violent ways you can die, and there is not a damn thing you can do about your demise. At least in a car (if I'm driving) I can have a chance of surviving by swerving or braking or some shit. You are completely powerless in a giant metal tube 30,000 feet above the Earth.
Truth to be told, there's a higher chance to die in a car accident than in a plane accident. And, regardless of this and the Asian flights (AirAsia and MH 370/17), aviation is safer than ever.
To be honest, sometime I'm afraid too. Just two weeks ago, at Mexico City's airport, take-off was aborted. I was scared as shit, and even a lady who was sit next to me started to cry. Still better than crossing the country (with all and the mountains and the shitty highways) in 12 hours on a shitty bus at the same price of the plane ticket though.