Germanwings plane crashes in French Alps

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Nomis1700 wrote:
Ruth wrote:
Nomis1700 wrote: Agree with this. Although, it was known that he had it no? He never should've been able to pilot a plane. But I hold him responsible for his actions as the people who knew that he wasn't allright in his mind. They should've known that he was good t hiding it and preventing him from flying a plane.
How the hell were they supposed to know? Everyone knew him as an overall decent guy. And maybe, MAYBE he was wayyy before crashing the plane. We know he had a history of depression, but we'll never know what his last thoughts were, we'll never know whether he was a fucking psycho and actually planned to kill all of those people, or if he was just deluded to the point the he just hadn't thought that the passengers would also die - all he had in his mind was to end his suffering. I think there is a difference between those things, even if it's only a slight one.

Also, not all depressed people are dangerous to others. Should all depressed people be prevented from driving cars/flying planes/etc.? That's simply not fair - not all of them are psychotic and some of those activities could be their biggest dreams. We're all so different, even if some of us have mental disorders of sorts, we can't generalize everyone. I think strict psychological tests should be conducted as often (and thorough) as possible - to see if the person is relapsing. We should help people more often than prevent them from doing something that could possibly make them happy again. There is a line though - people with heavy mental illnesses should be prevented from doing such things.
Well I wasn't saying or meaning any of that. If the people around him were aware of his condition and if he did see a psychiatrist or whatever was necessary for his condition. Yes, this situation could've been prevented. I mean, he was a pilot ffs. Like I said, those people are very intelligent and someone with a mentality disorder and high intelligence is a dangerous combination. I think the people around him failed as did he.
This is pure speculation, clearly, people around him were not aware.

Also, regarding the bolded part. Ffs, you're not serious, are you? You seem like you have no idea just how different mental illnesses are. That totally depends on the disorder and the individual. Don't act like depression alone is as dangerous as, let's say, schizophrenia can be.

This belongs in World Affairs.

Ruth wrote:
Nomis1700 wrote:
Ruth wrote: How the hell were they supposed to know? Everyone knew him as an overall decent guy. And maybe, MAYBE he was wayyy before crashing the plane. We know he had a history of depression, but we'll never know what his last thoughts were, we'll never know whether he was a fucking psycho and actually planned to kill all of those people, or if he was just deluded to the point the he just hadn't thought that the passengers would also die - all he had in his mind was to end his suffering. I think there is a difference between those things, even if it's only a slight one.

Also, not all depressed people are dangerous to others. Should all depressed people be prevented from driving cars/flying planes/etc.? That's simply not fair - not all of them are psychotic and some of those activities could be their biggest dreams. We're all so different, even if some of us have mental disorders of sorts, we can't generalize everyone. I think strict psychological tests should be conducted as often (and thorough) as possible - to see if the person is relapsing. We should help people more often than prevent them from doing something that could possibly make them happy again. There is a line though - people with heavy mental illnesses should be prevented from doing such things.
Well I wasn't saying or meaning any of that. If the people around him were aware of his condition and if he did see a psychiatrist or whatever was necessary for his condition. Yes, this situation could've been prevented. I mean, he was a pilot ffs. Like I said, those people are very intelligent and someone with a mentality disorder and high intelligence is a dangerous combination. I think the people around him failed as did he.
This is pure speculation, clearly, people around him were not aware.

Also, regarding the bolded part. Ffs, you're not serious, are you? You seem like you have no idea just how different mental illnesses are. That totally depends on the disorder and the individual. Don't act like depression alone is as dangerous as, let's say, schizophrenia can be.
My brother and my sister in law work with people who have mental illness. I do know of that what you're saying.

Then don't say this, because it's simply not always true.

hooray for an increased stigma against depression!

If you're depressed you're depressed.

If you're depressed and take 150 people with you you're a fucking idiot.

Someone from anonymous posted a long text about how there's a conspiracy at works to let the whole thing to be blamed on the depressed pilot as a diversion from the fact that Airbus planes have a technical issue where some sort of dangerous gas leaks during flights. There were talks that it's in France's interest to cover this up because Airbus is french and they're the ones leading the investigation but it could be in Germanwings' too.

Not sure about that as it was some dude from Anonymous anyway.

Apparently the company knew he had issues with depression in the past and he was actually declared unable to pilot for a while. So the company knew about his mental issues, he somehow managed to show progress and the company decided to give him the green light. On top of that his ex-girlfriend said that he was a pretty awkward person to be with and that's why their relationship ended because he was always in his own world. Also he told her that he will be known one day because one way or the other he'll do something memorable. She never thought that the "memorable" part would involve a tragedy like this.

prince0gotham wrote:Someone from anonymous posted a long text about how there's a conspiracy at works to let the whole thing to be blamed on the depressed pilot as a diversion from the fact that Airbus planes have a technical issue where some sort of dangerous gas leaks during flights. There were talks that it's in France's interest to cover this up because Airbus is french and they're the ones leading the investigation but it could be in Germanwings' too.
:shock:

Wow this is so strange.