Paris Terror Attacks

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

Apparently some terrorists shot up a grocery store or something today. Whole city is on edge right now. This is very strange.

It's a friend of the brothers who murdered the journalists wenesday who took 12 people hostage in a grocery store while the brothers themselves took someone hostage in a printing shop. Both hostage takings were assaulted by French police forces almost at the same time: 3 hostages dead (happened before the assault) and 4 others hurt, but the rest is safe. The two brothers and their friend confirmed dead.

Meanwhile, almost after the end of both assaults, two guys took hostage in a jewelry in Montpellier (South). They were arrested with no casualties.

Dodd wrote:Apparently some terrorists shot up a grocery store or something today. Whole city is on edge right now. This is very strange.
Imagine if this happend in New York.

neb4ever wrote:
Dodd wrote:Apparently some terrorists shot up a grocery store or something today. Whole city is on edge right now. This is very strange.

Forum Pro
Law
neb4ever wrote:

This quote getting attention is not okay.
Sally Kohn ✔ @sallykohn
Follow
Muslim shooter = entire religion guilty

Black shooter = entire race guilty

White shooter = mentally troubled lone wolf
Why? Because it's wrong. Because we expect that at least some people will not follow the trend of the masses and will actually think in-depth about this. Statements like that tweet are so superficial it makes me cringe that some people actually give it room to grow and approve it, categorize everything as being that and be done with it. No. Let the masses do that because they do it out of ignorance. Masses react to things and feed ideas and thoughts that gain momentum. But there's no excuse for some intelligent analysts out there to entertain the masses and sadly that's what's happening in the world right now. Issues are getting treated with way more naivety right now and lack of responsibility. It's like even the brightest people lost the ability to think clearly. And that's a bigger problem.

Here's on short why I can't agree with that tweet and how that tweet is self-racism trending that people are not even aware of.

1. The tweet itself is the definition of hypocrisy. It's basically saying "Stop generalizing, it's racism." while generalizing the attitude of the white towards certain races including their own. And no, this is not the point of the tweet because this person as well as most of the other people that produce statements like this one actually think this way. It's basically the same with black people responding to racism with more racism. The moment they claim things like "white people do this" and "white people do that" that's the moment they show their hypocrisy and how they're feeding this idea of "racism" further. It's hypocrisy. Remember how the first thing they fought against was the racism from the blacks themselves. That's what they had to overcome in order to make themselves heard by the white community. They understood that you cannot expect the white to acknowledge you as his brother in society if you're not ready to pardon him for his horrifying mistake and accept him first as his brother in society. That's something that's lacking today and all I see around is more generalization from both sides and even more hypocrisy from the accusation.

2. Is it true that when there's a muslim shooter then most people will blame the entire religion? Yes. Is it okay? No.
Is it true that when there's a black shooter then most people will blame the entire race? Yes. Is it okay? No.
Is it true that when there's a white shooter then most people will blame it on the person being a mentally troubled lone wolf? This is where it kind of gets hard for me to say yes because it's already a lie WITHIN a generalizing statement but I'll go ahead and say yes for the purpose of the argument . Is it okay? No.

Here's the thing tho. Before... no. BEFORE making these statements and generalize the white approach towards other races please have the patience and also ask yourself "If this is really happening then why is it happening?". If the answer for you is "Because white people are clearly racist" then you're not thinking enough and you're not digging deeper. The answer is to basically analyze society as a whole for the last -at least- 50 years. Then you will understand why white people tend to generalize and make these statements and how in fact you cannot expect the masses to NOT make these generalizing statements.

Also I hate to say this but you cannot force people into not being racists because "racism is not good". No. They won't understand that. First of all you have to explain WHY racism isn't good. And to be honest... how do you explain that properly? Well... through parental education first. And just from this you realize it's already a matter of generations until "racism" can be "cured". But if you go further you'll realize something else. That racism in it's purest form is something that you cannot fight. This might sound controversial but it's true and anyone that claims that it can be cured is insane. Racism cannot be fought because you can never properly show, explain or teach someone why racism is a bad thing. Seriously... you just can't. Racism is a concept that exists too deep in our species' culture to be equaled with words like good or bad. So if the society wants to keep fighting against it then do it but not directly because it's a waste of time because it's forced. It also leads to all this hypocritical bullshit you see on twitter and tumblr these days.

Another example of what I'm talking about...
"I question a world that has capacity to talk about 12 French victims @ #CharlieHebdo but not the 2k nigerians killed by Boko Haram this week”
It's okay for people to go with this and be like "hell yeah that's right"... It's understandable since it's not required from them to actually dig deeper. However It's not understandable when people smarter than this that carry a social responsibility act the same. And these type of statements are such trends right now.

I think that tweet says more about the media and stereotype rather then the attitudes of white people. Maybe that was the intention.

Cilogy wrote:I think that tweet says more about the media and stereotype rather then the attitudes of white people. Maybe that was the intention.
It's the same thing. The media pretty much rides a trend that already exists. The media cannot create trends. It doesn't have that power. What power media has is taking an existing trend and blowing it out of proportion. But the trend is already there and it comes from the masses.

Also this is what I was talking about when I mentioned how people smarter than this should not follow every trend and hop on it without thinking. People with social responsibility especially aka media people as well. It's okay for me to be ignorant and feed a silly idea but it's not okay when most of the media does it as well, when most celebrities do it, not to mention politicians and men of culture.

approx. 1.3 million people on the streets of Paris today = largest demonstration in French history

wow